Tolerance under stress as ‘loud’ mosque prayers draw complaints

webfact

2 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

Seems like Muslim Bashing to me, the mosques and whats were there long before the condos.

And the Temples were there way before the Muslims were thought of.  not bashing, FACT

• Thanks 1

The call to prayer was used to remind people to pray but now most Muslims, in developed countries, have a mobile app which tells them when to pray and which way to face. As much as the call can be beautiful, the volume could be adjusted somewhat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

They know that Muslims are being reminded of prayer times,”

If they are so religious why do they need to get reminded about praying times ?

What other religion has to call their followers to prayer? ??

Did anyone ever read Dune?  I don't mean see the movie but read the book.  Behind all of this is a movement much more powerful than the muslims or the catholics or any other group.

They are insidious and ubiquitous and for a change I am not talking about jews, who are just another one of their tools.

3 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

They know that Muslims are being reminded of prayer times,”

If they are so religious why do they need to get reminded about praying times ?

Because the prayer times change; that is why.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Because the prayer times change; that is why.

Simple solution: As many posters here have pointed out, this can all be handled digitally today.

No need to upset the neighbours !

Adapt like an expat (expats are good at adapting).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, p414 said:

The call to prayer was introduced when nobody knew the exact time..Now everybody has a watch or similar timepiece..The call to prayer [particularly in England] is merely to inform non believers 'WE ARE HERE'

Much what I was thinking . Clocks on church towers might have been the only way for folk to know the time be it for work or catching the train.  The bell ringing on a Sunday was to call people to prayer , does this still happen in those pleasent shires of the England I once knew ?

1 hour ago, yasbkk said:

I am sure that you too would be early riser if you were working.

Almost every day in BKK i wake up from noise which neighbours (some are far away) produce...They start before 6 and even with all windows closed it wakes me up.

1 hour ago, AUSSIE BOB said:

I live near two in Patong and for the best part of my time here I have grown to accept them but lately these two mosques appear to be competing against each other and the volume has noticeably increased. Perhaps they have adjusted the direction of the loud speakers, I don't know. Soft/low volume is sometimes soothing but when they have a new comer to the task and they cannot chant/sing/whatever, it can be down right annoying. I would be a happier resident if I was not woken every morning at 5am. 

Contact your lawyer and ask him to contact the obotor. There is an official regulation about noise in Thaialnd. The noise shouldn't be more than 10 decibels from 10pm to 6am. 

noise.jpg

• Like 2

Was in K.L. about 2 years ago doing my tourist thing. On afternoon (or early evening) heard one of the mosques blaring out its message(?) from the tower - looked around and did not see any Muslim taking any notice of what was going on. Different rules for different followers of their different 'prophets"?  Sunnis and Shites not on the same page? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Was in K.L. about 2 years ago doing my tourist thing. On afternoon (or early evening) heard one of the mosques blaring out its message(?) from the tower - looked around and did not see any Muslim taking any notice of what was going on. Different rules for different followers of their different 'prophets"?  Sunnis and Shites not on the same page? ????

It's the same in Jakarta...first at 4 am, and again every hour after that iirc...terrible.

BKK was always better than Jakarta for religious noise, maybe they can ask the Chinese tourists what they think about it? After all they are the most important tourists these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thian said:

It's the same in Jakarta...first at 4 am, and again every hour after that iirc...terrible.

BKK was always better than Jakarta for religious noise, maybe they can ask the Chinese tourists what they think about it? After all they are the most important tourists these days.

I doubt if they would ever notice, what with their never ending high-volume chatter.

I think one of the great things about Thailand is the tolerance. Here in Udon I used to live next to the local mosque and every morning about 04:30 there would be a call to prayer, loud and clear over the microphone. Then at 6:00 the local monks would pass by on my soi for alms and prayers and then at 6:30 my mother-in-law would come by to take my daughter to Christian school.

I was willing to put up with the loud call to prayer as the Thai neighbors tolerated the loud sounds coming from the mosque and I followed suit. Did I like it? No Did I get used to it? Yes.  Overtime I came to appreciate tolerance. Tolerance is lovely, but it is not always easy to be tolerant.

I come from America where tolerance has all but disappeared.  It was a lovely experience for me to see Christian, Muslim, and Buddhists living side by side in peace on a daily basis in Udon. That was back in 2006- 2008. It is the same now? I am not sure.

• Like 1

Why do I even have an opinion on this? It's not my country not my religion I'm here as a guest at 2,900bt a year!!! Methinks the ones complaining are the same jackasses bitching about Hijabi "back home". Let the Thais sort it out it's their business.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

I think one of the great things about Thailand is the tolerance. Here in Udon I used to live next to the local mosque and every morning about 04:30 there would be a call to prayer, loud and clear over the microphone. Then at 6:00 the local monks would pass by on my soi for alms and prayers and then at 6:30 my mother-in-law would come by to take my daughter to Christian school.

I was willing to put up with the loud call to prayer as the Thai neighbors tolerated the loud sounds coming from the mosque and I followed suit. Did I like it? No Did I get used to it? Yes.  Overtime I came to appreciate tolerance. Tolerance is lovely, but it is not always easy to be tolerant.

I come from America where tolerance has all but disappeared.  It was a lovely experience for me to see Christian, Muslim, and Buddhists living side by side in peace on a daily basis in Udon. That was back in 2006- 2008. It is the same now? I am not sure.

Yes, they've to be tolerant and respect the sleep and quietness of others. There are laws about noise pollution and they should respect the laws.

6 minutes ago, Menhir said:

Yes, they've to be tolerant and respect the sleep and quietness of others. There are laws about noise pollution and they should respect the laws.

The OP clearly states the mosque is in compliance with noise pollution parameters

29 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The OP clearly states the mosque is in compliance with noise pollution parameters

It appears they are not. The OP states call for prayer is below 80 decibels. Hoewever, from 10pm to 6am, it seems no more than 10 decibels is allowed. See Pollution Control Department website of Thailand.

Edited by Menhir
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Menhir said:

It appears they are not. The OP states call for prayer is below 80 decibels. However, from 10pm to 6am, it seems no more than 10 decibels is allowed. See Pollution Control Department website of Thailand.

Don't read Thai. However, 10 decibels is silence, office space should be around 60 decibels, average city street traffic noise approx 80 decibels, you cannot be correct.

https://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml