Tolerance under stress as ‘loud’ mosque prayers draw complaints

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think you would find that most of us find church bells delightful in comparison to the Muslim call to prayer blasted over loudspeakers, that can be heard miles away.

Absolute rubbish statement.

People who are unfortunate to live next to Churches that ring out their bells can't stand it. There was a case in point in Gloucestershire UK where the locals were up in arms about it as they just wanted some peace and quiete on a sunday morning. The issue was taken to the local town council -  locals were furious and it was preventing them from selling their houses as buyers were also concerned about the anti social sunday morning noise pollution. 

What looked like a picture postcard village scene was infact a tuneless nightmare racket every sunday. 

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:
5 hours ago, Naam said:

most church bells are louder. 

And much nicer than some guy wailing all the time .dont know how people put up with it

that's a matter of perspective.

3 hours ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

The islamists use the awful loudspeaker to intimidate the people in the area, Islam is a religion designed to be in your face and fear is also used to keep its members from rejecting it.

I think all megaphones and very loud loudspeakers should be regulated and in most places should be banned as they generally encroach on people's private space.

keep on thinking :smile:

6 hours ago, quandow said:

Reminds me of a time when Muslims moved next door to a Texas pig farm and demanded HE move so THEY could build a mosque. I'm sure you can imagine how THAT went. People, you can't have it both ways!

tell us more related interesting stories.

36 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Absolute rubbish statement.

People who are unfortunate to live next to Churches that ring out their bells can't stand it. There was a case in point in Gloucestershire UK where the locals were up in arms about it as they just wanted some peace and quiete on a sunday morning. The issue was taken to the local town council -  locals were furious and it was preventing them from selling their houses as buyers were also concerned about the anti social sunday morning noise pollution. 

What looked like a picture postcard village scene was infact a tuneless nightmare racket every sunday. 

Racket maybe, but not tuneless, church bells are normally tuned to a major key.

2 hours ago, TMNH said:
On 10/8/2018 at 7:46 AM, Darkside Gray said:

Seems like Muslim Bashing to me, the mosques and whats were there long before the condos.

Seems that you didn't get the point. NO religion needs loud noise and/or reminders. You simply know when  to attend services without the obnoxious reminders to do so. These are more modern times- obviously you don't get that.

to me it's clear YOU don't get it.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:
5 hours ago, Naam said:

most church bells are louder. 

I think you would find that most of us find church bells delightful in comparison to the Muslim call to prayer blasted over loudspeakers, that can be heard miles away.

i couldn't care less what "most of us find" as i don't include myself in "most of us". having sipped my morning coffee for years with the prayer call just before dawn i missed somehow later.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

there are ignorants who don't know that prayer times shift every day? :ohmy:

After living in Saudi I do  know that. Muslims have access to lunar calendars WAAAAAAAAAAAAY in advance. In Saudi we had them 1 full year in advance, as well as apps giving them reminders and even showing them where Mecca is.......... no ignorance here, just a ton of knowledge... And as an Ex-Muslim I probably know a bit more than you  sir.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trianglechoke said:

After living in Saudi I do  know that. Muslims have access to lunar calendars WAAAAAAAAAAAAY in advance. In Saudi we had them 1 full year in advance, as well as apps giving them reminders and even showing them where Mecca is.......... no ignorance here, just a ton of knowledge... And as an Ex-Muslim I probably know a bit more than you  sir.

Sir,

your comments pertaining to the lunar calendar and it's (non existing) bearing to prayer times is hard evidence that you possess a wealth of no idea

On 10/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, ross163103 said:

Agree totally! It's not about them having alarm clocks, apps or whatever to tell them the time to pray--that would be too easy, it's about influencing the infidels--their word not mine, around them to accept the fact that this area is muslim; it's all psychological.

What about a simple compulsion to pray, because it comes from the heart? What is the possibility that the all seeing, all knowing, omniscient creator would be moved by a prayer that was motivated by an app, a call to prayer blasted over a loudspeaker, or any other form of coercion? That is about society. It has nothing to do with Divinity or the creator, and nothing whatsoever to do with spirituality. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What about a simple compulsion to pray, because it comes from the heart? What is the possibility that the all seeing, all knowing, omniscient creator would be moved by a prayer that was motivated by an app, a call to prayer blasted over a loudspeaker, or any other form of coercion? That is about society. It has nothing to do with Divinity or the creator, and nothing whatsoever to do with spirituality. 

only a tiny minority of Muslims exists that accepts your reasonable and valid suggestion. but that also applies to Christians, Hindus, Buddhists and other "faiths".

• Thanks 1

I was near a mosque in bang kapi and it amazed me how tolerant people were to the noise, it was loud and early in the morning. That is what i love about thailand, the live and let live way of life. Bangkok is a great place and i feel very alive when i am their. Very stimulating place.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2018 at 2:46 PM, simple1 said:

OK, one last response. I do believe you have misunderstood. Approx 40dB is lowest level urban sound level, average 10dB is impossible in a city street environment such as BKK. Alternatively if your interpretation is correct whoever wrote the standard is a fool.

10dB is the sound of breathing (barely audible)...

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

10dba is not about the total noise. It is about the "added noise".

It certainly would be interesting to have an acoustic engineer gives us a full explanation on the attached chart referring to the Pollution Control Department of Thailand but for now my non-expert understanding is the following:

The noise limit is described by the formula Leq,1hr – L90 in dba

Leq,1hr is the average noise for 1hr.

L90 is the noise level exceeded for 90% for the given time period.

During the day (6am-10pm):

Leq,1hr – L90 shouldn’t be more than 10dba at any time.

At night (10pm-6am):

Leq,1hr – L90 shouldn’t be more than 7dba.

Impulsive noise penalty (case of a loudspeaker):

Leq,1hr – L90 should be reduced by 5dba.

Conclusion:

The loudspeaker shouldn’t add more than about 2dba of noise at night and about 5dba of noise during the day.

• At night, if the street noise is about 45 dba, when the loudspeaker is used the total noise shouldn’t be more than about 47 dba.
  • During the day, if the street noise is about 70 dba, when the loudspeaker is used the total noise shouldn’t be more than about 75 dba.

Once again, I welcome any acoustic engineer to give us a full explanation.

noise.thumb.jpg.e851a9e40025d88022c767d660bcb12a.jpg

Edited by Menhir

My suggestion is, since the speakers were invented by Graham Bell only about 130 years ago, that Mosques and Temples should go back to their real tradition, values and culture as it was before speakers were invented. That's it people. How did they do it for centuries without amplifiers and speakers. My humble wish is also to apply this to villages and urban communities where the polluting with sound is endemic.  ;) not that anything will change....just saying ...feels good, feels right

• Like 1