Tolerance under stress as ‘loud’ mosque prayers draw complaints

webfact

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I think it's time for a new law where no religion can make much noise....in BKK people work/sleep 24hrs and it's important that they rest well.

It seems there is a law. EPEQA B.E 2535, Notification of the National environmental Board No. 29 on Annoyance Noise Level Standard: From 10pm to 6 am the noise level shouldn't be more than 10 decibel.

noise.thumb.jpg.bb6744d235302786c78e99751e248894.jpg

Western civilization advanced quickly (ok, about 500 years) when the monks were told they were personae non gratae.

Any nation that is dominated by monks or imams is doomed to remain in the Dark Ages, roughly 500 AD to about 1200 AD.

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

"reminding followers of prayer time"...

Why can't they adjust to the times and send an SMS?

Actually I live about a kilometer away, but can hear the man chanting over the loudspeakers every few hours, like a tuneless karaoke bar. Not a nuisance at this distance, but very aware there's a mosque somewhere around.

Certainly I feel sorry for the majority non-muslim population who live any closer.

Buddhist temples are just as loud when they have a temple fair.  The one near my home cranks the music incredibly loud and can be clearly heard despite living more than 1 kilometer away.  Not sure how people at the fairs stand the noise.  The local district office threw some parties a few months back and it was also very loud.  Not sure why a district office would throw a party after hours or who benefited from the parties.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I think it's time for a new law where no religion can make much noise....in BKK people work/sleep 24hrs and it's important that they rest well.

People should be mindful of where they stay... eg. near airport, train station , bus station, market, nightlife area where sound level would be much higher than normal.. I have a condo near RCA .bought it when visiting in daytime.. all quiet but come nighttime , the bass from the clubs would rattle walls. .. until early mornInv. Worse during weekends and promotions. All I did was triple glazed my windows and doors which reduce the sound a lot though the bass still got thru but not as much as before. Tolerable...  

1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

I rented an apartment (unknowingly with a mosque nearby) and you could not even hear your own television with all the windows closed. I soon moved out, but unimaginable that these places are allowed to blast out such an incredible volume of sound while honest people are trying to sleep. But I guess it is a "religion" of submission ???? Should all be turned off !!

Well it turns me off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

"reminding followers of prayer time"...

Why can't they adjust to the times and send an SMS?

Actually I live about a kilometer away, but can hear the man chanting over the loudspeakers every few hours, like a tuneless karaoke bar. Not a nuisance at this distance, but very aware there's a mosque somewhere around.

Certainly I feel sorry for the majority non-muslim population who live any closer.

Traditions die hard....... unfortunately. Being like that since somebody invented the loudspeaker. 

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I lived in Phra Kanong, on floor level with speakers from Mosque maybe 100-200 yds away. I got used to it. One time they have very early morning ceremony for funeral... told wife to send the dogs (a joke) if I wasn't back in 10 minutes: I was going to ask them to turn it down. They did, and were not at all aggressive about it & apologized.

If they want to keep up with their tradition of calling to prayer, how about doing it the traditional way?

Get up in the minaret and use voice only, no amplification.

Now they fitted the loudspeakers on the minarets.

Duck the mosque, get an App. There was a time when there were no loudspeakers. When the “Tannoy” came in the muslims embraced them. Now in the age of smartphones get with the project and phase out noise polluting speaker that no one other than muslims are pleased to hear.

I sometimes think that the call to prayer racket is political. I’m sure in many situations, I’m not far wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Hi, while respecting your opinion, I would like to point out that these prayers for calls and the ringing of the bells in the morning for the Way, are nothing but good for the benefit of the people: good for health and for work and start of the day early. People are working throughout the day, but anyone can adjust their sleep times to cope even those who finish work early morning they go to sleep after Dawn. 

I am sure that you too would be early riser if you were working.

Plus the life in the city's about living in community, where no one has complete privacy of noise. 

you want that life, then one has to move to country side,

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Great topic, finally somebody did complained. Btw can anyone proficient in Thai write here where to complain about those noises?! Local police station, or maybe there’s a phone hotline . In Suan Luang area these pests defenitely have loudspeakers exceeding all possible limits ! 

I’ve stayed in 3 different places, all had loudspeakers in the vicinity, funny never had this problem in Dubai Malaysia and a few other actually Muslim countries I’ve lived in

1 minute ago, asiaworld said:

Great topic, finally somebody did complained. Btw can anyone proficient in Thai write here where to complain about those noises?! Local police station, or maybe there’s a phone hotline . In Suan Luang area these pests defenitely have loudspeakers exceeding all possible limits ! 

I’ve stayed in 3 different places, all had loudspeakers in the vicinity, funny never had this problem in Dubai Malaysia and a few other actually Muslim countries I’ve lived in

On my first trip to Indonesia, and in bad need of sleep after 30 hours of travel, I was awoken very early the first morning to this extremely loud noise. My 4 star hotel was right next door to a mosque.

Agreed, this is a topic that needs "a little noise".

• Like 1

I am not religious and do not want to interfere in their long held beliefs.  I do have one comment and that is for them to go back to their roots and cease using electronic means to transmit their prayers or call to prayers.  I don't believe that when they started that they were using recordings or speakers.  By the way the call to prayer can be beautiful when not heard through loud speakers.  This not using modern means to transmit their beliefs should also apply to the Buddhists.

• Like 2