Three french tourists face years in Thai jail for making false robbery claim on Samui

webfact

Three french tourists face years in Thai jail for making false robbery claim on Samui

10PM.jpg

Police on the holiday island of Koh Samui said that three French tourists claimed that they were robbed at knife point by five Thai men on three motorcycles after they got lost.

They claimed that everything was stolen from them and the thieves disappeared without a trace. 

They have shown to be lying for the purposes of insurance fraud and now face three years in jail themselves. 

They are Priscilla Monga, 31, Bryan Dubois, 25, and thirty two year old Yan Chastel (all names transliterated from Thai language). 

10pm2.jpg

They are in the custody of the island's police, reported New TV.

They originally told the cops that on Wednesday of last week they had taken a song thaew to a hotel in Lamai and got off at the wrong spot by mistake. They couldn't be precise about where but said they walked down a soi and were then robbed at knife point by the Thai men.

Police suspected they may be telling lies because they couldn't say where and exactly when it happened. Subsequent inquiries with song thaew drivers and others showed a distinct lack of any witnesses. 

The trio were confronted at their hotel and eventually admitted to lying for insurance fraud. 

All the missing possessions were found in a room in a hotel next to where they were staying.

They face three years in jail for filing a false report. 

Source: New TV

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-08

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I wonder if other ASEAN countries also get to have their fair share of  these type of quality tourists involved in insurance scams? Or is it it is only Thailand where they congregate? 

Had a friend who worked in insurance in NZ, he reckoned it was rife in any countries where corruption, laziness or incompetence within the police is rife. They used to get tonnes of those claims from South American countries where a couple of USD and the desk cop will write anything on the report. The old "my bag with my $5k watch, laptop, wallet and expensive camera got stolen, here's the police report" was very common. 

I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether the above descriptions may cover these countries...

It s something that so many europeans do all the time when they travel to Thailand and south East asia, When I came many years ago,  i was reading about Thailand and was so frustrated that they keep telling stories about theft,,,,, but also loss which I do understand, after i saw the level of feel safe all the time, so much that I forgot the bag in restaurant and left, I could not return as took ferry away to catch train. that was in the time, there was no mobiles..... 

Anyway, hope this thing about insurance claims to stop 

Why waste time locking them up in Thailand, just deport them with a 5 year ban and report them to the French Authorities and their Insurance company. 

Why should Thailand pay to keep them locked up?

28 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Why waste time locking them up in Thailand, just deport them with a 5 year ban and report them to the French Authorities and their Insurance company. 

Why should Thailand pay to keep them locked up?

Deterrent effect. Hilarity value for the rest of us. I suspect the cost of keeping a prisoner in a Thai jail is significantly less than in a western jail. 

A few years back a little scrote from New Zealand with a bit of a string of property crime convictions came over here on holiday with family. Stole a taxi drivers' cell phone during a cab ride home and wound up doing 18 months in a Bangkok prison. Life lesson learned the hard way for him. The family tried to set up a gofundme page to help him. I think it generated more abuse than it did money

3 hours ago, SammyT said:

Had a friend who worked in insurance in NZ, he reckoned it was rife in any countries where corruption, laziness or incompetence within the police is rife. They used to get tonnes of those claims from South American countries where a couple of USD and the desk cop will write anything on the report. The old "my bag with my $5k watch, laptop, wallet and expensive camera got stolen, here's the police report" was very common. 

I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether the above descriptions may cover these countries...

"he reckoned it was rife in any countries where corruption, laziness or incompetence within the police is rife."

Sounds like a lot of things "rife" there as well as in New Zealand and Britain.

Karen Stevens said dishonesty was a serious problem for insurance companies. It has been estimated that insurance fraud worth $150 million to $250m a year happened in New Zealand, or up to 10 per cent of all claims.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/96578926/ombudsman-warns-fraud-a-serious-problem-for-insurers

MORE than half a million insurance frauds were uncovered last year...the Association of British Insurers has revealed.
There were about 113,000 fraudulent claims, valued at £1.3billion, down by eight per cent on 2016.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1006584/insurance-fraud-decrease

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

"he reckoned it was rife in any countries where corruption, laziness or incompetence within the police is rife."

Sounds like a lot of things "rife" there as well as in New Zealand and Britain.

Sure, but that's largely irrelevant to the topic we're talking about - tourists on holiday being caught out making up a crime to falsely claim insurance. I'm saying that NZ travellers going on holiday and making fraudulent insurance claims by taking advantage of slack local policing was more common in countries with less stringent law enforcement than more developed nations. 

But well done for filling me in on general insurance fraud patterns in NZ. I'm well aware that dishonesty crimes occur in NZ as well. 

Great work on the part of Royal Thai Police.

Throw these lying, thieving bags of puke in jail and ensure the story gets International Coverage to disuade others like them from attempting to besmirch the good reputation of Thailand.

Too bad for them.
In addition, they are real French.
Well, in France, we are not close to a disgrace.
Must see the carnival to the government, the behavior and the words of King Emmanuel 1st. The serfs only follow.

Congratulations to the police.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So obviously a lie - would be 9 or 10 on 3 bikes

Obviously, BUT rather 3 thai men on 5 motorbikes to comply with the rest of their story...:coffee1:

4 hours ago, Ctkong said:

I wonder if other ASEAN countries also get to have their fair share of  these type of quality tourists involved in insurance scams? Or is it it is only Thailand where they congregate? 

RE - I wonder if other ASEAN countries also get to have their fair share of  these type of quality tourists involved in insurance scams?

It is said that an idiot is born every second so obviously they do....

Archived