Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

52 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

Still the question of why it is only why it’s only the British Embassy taking this action as the others do not do anything different. 

Maybe it’s because they are the most reluctant to provide any services to UK ex-pats other than notifying the government when someone croaks so they can stop their state pension.

• Like 2

Good Points but although my extension date is in Aug 2019 I can show deposits over the last 12 mths however if as I think you are suggesting for example there are only 8 mths you can comply with at your next extension then it should be 520k which is the total you can show you have deposited divided by 8 = 65k per month

Edited by Expattaff1308

4 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

And a huge hole in this suggestion is that you could simply send 65k to a Thai Bank, take it out, send it home, and then send it again next month. You would incur charges but for most people they would not be too much of a problem.

No different than putting 800k in and taking it out.  Most would not be bothered to put 65k in and out every month that's crazy.

• Like 2

Clearly Tommy Dee has opened up a hornets nest with his interview with the rep from the BE. I think he did it with the best of intentions and although he could of pinned her down a bit more it was a good kick off and got the ball rolling. 

I would suggest that now he has got to widen the invitation to the BE and Thai immigration on the same platform so it can be nipped in the bud and her comments can be either confirmed or denied by TI for all to hear. 

Cant be that difficult to arrange surely. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

And a huge hole in this suggestion is that you could simply send 65k to a Thai Bank, take it out, send it home, and then send it again next month. You would incur charges but for most people they would not be too much of a problem.

Well I think for most that equates to too much effort especially sending it home again be far easier to seek out the agent for the illegal extension stamp????

Edited by Expattaff1308

If you are paying 65K into your Thai bank account every month but only spending 40K a month, it won't take long for that account to increase significantly. Or do they expect you to spend every satang of the 65K?

• Like 1

I am not a British  citicen but still i follow this closely because you never know what ones own embassy is going to do.

I know of two people who present a rental contract as proof of income and they do not own any property.Things like this create problems.

Another thing i see that maybe the Thai Imm. office will accept prove of 65000 baht per month being deposited into your account.If this is the case they would also have to accept that from anybody else?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

If you are paying 65K into your Thai bank account every month but only spending 40K a month, it won't take long for that account to increase significantly. Or do they expect you to spend every satang of the 65K?

I dont think they expect you to spend the lot, sometimes I spend more very often less depends on my needs.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No different than putting 800k in and taking it out.  Most would not be bothered to put 65k in and out every month that's crazy.

1 minute ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Well I think for most that equates to too much effort especially sending it home again be far easier to seek out the agent for the illegal extension stamp

Yes, I agree that for most people it's not worth the effort. But for anyone who is really struggling to meet the requirements, it might be. 

Another thing i see that maybe the Thai Imm. office will accept prove of 65000 baht per month being deposited into your account.If this is the case they would also have to accept that from anybody else?

Agree But they need to come out and say that then ensure all offices are aware of the new ruling.

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

the basic fact that this will be utterly impossible without an Embassy letter of some sort!

Why. If my Bangkok Bank statement/book shows 65k coming in on an FTT on 1st of every month, why is a letter from Consulate need, IF the Thai Immigration will accept that.

30 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Sorry- this is not enough-  A  person who has sufficient income coming from abroad cannot transfer $65K/40K into a Thai Bank account in time to meet a full year of  'proof' if their extension is due August 2019 and onward.  Nor should they have to.

The Police Order is what sets up the criteria of needed documentation- not the Thai Imm site. The Police Order clearly indicates that Thai Imm will accept the Income Letter ALONG WITH any other documentation proving the amounts on the income letter.  I have shown-  Pension Letters;  a US Bank statement showing 65K coming into my account by direct deposit as well as US ATM cards  which I use in a Thai ATM to extract the money.  Thai Imm in ChaengWattana ACCEPTED  this as proof.  I have never had to even have a Thai Bank Account to show any proof.  It is highly impractical to  have to transfer 65K every month . I seriously doubt any Thai Bank would  issue a letter indicating anything of the sort.  This is the 21st Century- some of us use Debit Cards/Credit Cards to  get our monthly funds. No One needs a local account unless you use the In Bank method or the Combo.  That is why the Police Order allows  the monthly income proof method.  Don't believe me- read over the  first hand accounts from those in the CM area who have been asked to show added proof- CM Immigration has accepted exactly what I have indicated that I had to show.

If you are going to send an email to to the BE Embassy  to have them interface with Thai Imm- the added questions should be asked:

-Will you as Thai Imm still accept- a pension letter- letterhead stationary from a Government entity- or a Company showing  monthly income as proof of  meeting the Thai Imm requirement

-Will you as immigration still accept- a standard foreign bank statement showing direct deposits on a monthly basis into a foreign bank account . In addition will you also accept  foreign debit cards along with other income letters from foreign governments/companies as a source of getting the income into Thailand.

There may be more questions needed about the combination method and how this will work without the  Embassy Letter.

Unfortunately, the BE spokesperson does not understand that Thai Imm law of 1979 or the most recent Police Order and how in actuality each  Imm Region interprets the requirements.  As many posters have indicated- each Region can and does ask for added documentation.  This is allowed under the Immigration Act and also under the Police Order.

I would urge the BE to study the Imm Act of 1979 and the current Police Order- at least read the Police Order- it is not that difficult to understand/  I am not an expert on these things but I have done many retirement and marriage extensions over the years and I always study the Police Order before I do my next extension and if I need clarification I go directly to an Imm Officer  with a specific question.

Unfortunately- the BE does not understand how the Police Order applies and therefore cannot ask the right questions to get full clarification.

Any chance of a link or photo or copy/paste of this Police Order?

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

The spokesperson claimed that the income letters are not always required by Thai immigration and that expats can simply show a copy of their bank statements when submitting their application.

However, anyone who has ever applied for a marriage or retirement extension in Thailand will know that is not the case and that the income certification letter has to date been a requirement.

That's from the BS department. I've gone through the process some 10 times, and it was always EITHER monthly income (as in: certified pension) OR 800k in the bank account 3 months previous (my choice). IMHO, nothing whatsoever has changed as far as that is concerned and the spokesperson is right.

There have been rumours (oh - those...) of people claiming that an account that doesn't show any movements (as in regular withdrawals/credits) has been regarded as suspicious by Immigration - my fixed deposit account which has only just generated some interest over the years (which I regularly withdrew and brough to a nice restaurant) has always been accepted by Immigration. For good reasons, me thinks: what they want to see is whether you're on the brink of becoming a problem for (Thai) social security or whether your cushion is comfortable.

Edited by AsiaCheese
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thailand said:

If immigration confirms that then there is no problem. Until there is a statement from immigration the confusion will continue.

A statement which IMHO will never be forthcoming in a million years. As a result Brit retirees will almost certainly be forced to relocate back to the UK in their droves unless they have a Thai wife and can meet the existing financial requirements for a marriage extension.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Why. If my Bangkok Bank statement/book shows 65k coming in on an FTT on 1st of every month, why is a letter from Consulate need, IF the Thai Immigration will accept that.

Because rules is rules!

• Like 2