Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

32 minutes ago, rtco said:

I have just renewed my Non Imm 'O' (Marriage Visa) and only showed +400,000 THB in my account + a letter from my Bank confirming that I had this amount in my account 5 days prior to submission + I provided copies of the relevant pages in my Bank Book.

Sorry irrelevant post. You are another one who does not understand the issue

1 minute ago, smedly said:

I would not hesitate to bring that to the attention of the authorities 

and the rest of your post was spot on

I agree, If you are not willing to bring it to the authorities -- then in my book you are an accessory through concealment of the knowledge of criminal acts being perpetrated. (depends on the jurisdiction on whether it is illegal or just morally reprehensible). 

I don’t see what the problem is. My bank( Kasikorn ) automatically send me a email PDF statement of my account showing out goings and income from my U.K. pension providers. The only problem I can see when I go to immigration for my renewal is the acceptance of email copy statements from my bank,We all know how the Thais love signatures on documents. This being the case I have asked my bank to give me a signed letter verifying that the highlighted income on the twelve statements they sent me is accurate and true. This letter should cost no more than 100 Baht. The British embassy letter cost 2,500 Baht plus 100 Baht for EMS delivery. I love the idea and the savings it gives me.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

NEVER repeat NEVER has it been a requirement of Thai immigration to import the FULL amount of your claimed income into Thailand, every year, indeed as the Brits are pushing,
For some this will be no big deal. But for many this will be extremely ONEROUS. 

That would be a HORRIBLE development and potentially bleed to more or all nationalities.

Folks of all nationalities using this loophole to reside in Thailand should take this as a wake up call.

End is near...It was always a BS loophole & Thai Imm now know it. All the skint pats...no health insurance has taken its toll. Now you will not have to put "the FULL amount" of your income in Thai Banks but yes...put the 400k/800k like you always should have....Or get out

Know whats next?

Next is show full health coverage or lock up your 400/800k as a yearly retainer while you reside in Thailand

Don't believe it? Watch

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

One issue not mentioned is the tax. 

I belive that most income letters signed by the embassy's / consulates

have the income before tax. And this is accepted by the immigration. 

If there will be a new rule of proving bank statements, the tax is probably withdrawn already.

So that could mean up to 25 % reduced funds. This apply at least for my country, Sweden. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What loophole?

There is no loophole.

It was 100% a loophole...You know it...I know it & Now Thai IMM knows it

If you cant show  in Thailand accessible 800K as a single retired expat...They know you cant show it in an emergency

Thailand stuck on the hook for too many in the past now they  are awake

This loophole was like saying...Oh I have lots of money...Just not on me 555

Yeah took awhile but jig is up

Edited by meechai
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Immigration wont accept bank statements or a bank letter for proof of income, only for proof of the 800k deposit.

That’s not what the British Embassy said. What we need is clarification from the Thai immigration.

• Like 1

For those retired Brits relying on income and who are still completing self assessment forms for the UK IR using an accountant, I suggest you copy the initial personal details page and relevant pension income page to 'prove' income source(s) and annual gross income. In the past this has been accepted by the Embassy as proof of income.

If this income letter is withdrawn after 15th December 2018, the same documentation plus copies of UK bank statements highlighting the pension payments could be accepted by Immigration (albeit short of tax deducted at source, which could cause a shortfall). Also it would be prudent to produce Thai bank statements showing transfers in on a regular basis.

The Immigration acceptance remains to be seen, however, and it would be prudent to check with a visa agency just what is acceptable or not.

I suspect that many Brits that do not have 800k stacked in a Thai bank account will resort to paying visa agents, and while that could be vetoed by Big Joke, I surmise economic forces could prevail - don't hold your breath on that, and be prepared to seek alternatives, e.g. obtaining a notary letter from a bona-fide registered Thai legal firm to see if Immigration accept that alternative. 

Finally, I will put in writing my absolute disgust at how the UK British Embassy in Thailand is treating their retired pensioners which will be sent to the Embassy and UK government pension office next week. I hope all those Brits affected will do the same, and also those who have 800k in a Thai bank account.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 2

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

People seem to be forgetting why the BE is stopping these letters.

The Thai government has said that the BE must verify that the income the applicant is claiming is actually true. The BE MUST verify it.

This is impossible for the BE to comply with. If the Thai authorities prove that an applicant has lied, yet, they still have the BE letter certifying that the false statement is true, then, the BE could be legally liable.

Two obvious solutions.

1. BE goes the way of other embassy's. Just certifying that the person is who they claim to be and that they have witnessed the signature. If the Thai authorities want to accept this as proof, then great.

2. Deposit the 65k/40k per month and ask the Thai authorities to accept the bank letter as proof, as they already do with the 800k/400k method.

The Thais do indeed accept #1.  Have for a long time and still do now. 

• Like 2