Chevrolet Change oil change times but why?

kannot

Im still interested in a  Colorado 2.5 diesel but i notice for Model Year 2019 Chevrolet changed oil service intervals for this  model from 15000km (9 months) to 10000km, this is a  pain for me as Im far from the dealer so I asked them why.

Got the answer predictably "weve changed oil type".

Theyve made overall service costs cheaper by a bit by using what they say is "semi synthetic oil" whereas before I saw they used Dexos 2 fully synthetic before  and  this has thus  reduced costs but also increased frequency......inconvenient for me. New semi synth is 15w40 old fully synthetic was 5w30

A recent  press release of theirs  here states this   *New maintenance program includes adopting 10,000km service intervals (now standard on all 2019 Colorados) and high-grade 15W40 semi-synthetic engine oil. Chevrolet customers will continue to have the choice of using fully synthetic oil if they wish. 

So ive now asked them is i use  fully synthetic can i go to 15000km service intervals again and will doing this affect my warranty

Bear in mind the 2018 Colorado is still 15k intervals for oil change and the engine is EXACTLY the same and thats really all thats done at the 15k service and 10k anyway.

Opinions welcome

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Here we go again on oil changes.

310006495_bored1.jpg.76ceba6f90c6f7045e6da4cfee0abbd0.jpg

Yeah great help I mean "why even bother replying"

Looks to me like the 5w-30 oil was low  sulphur meant for vehicles with dpf,s but Thailand doesnt have those on its Colorados so theyve reverted back to 15w40 semi synthetic which is heavy duty diesel oil..............not that its any interest to you, but then  maybe you dont have to go 40km to get an oil and filter change and their advertising of 15k service intervals was part of the "package" I liked along with the mobile servicing which theyve changed all the rules for.

11 hours ago, kannot said:

Looks to me like the 5w-30 oil was low  sulfur meant for vehicles with DPF but Thailand doesn't have those on its Colorado's so they've reverted back to 15w40 semi synthetic which is heavy duty diesel oil..............

Well you should of mentioned DPF in the first place.

It's boring because your worried about nowt to worry about they told you can use what oil you want.

Diesel particulate filter's have been introduced in most diesel engines since 2009 since your motor hasn't got one at least you won't have to worry about the engine being seriously damaged if a DPF get's blocked. 

10 hours ago, transam said:

Sounds like just a money earner thing. After all what do they actually do at a service, not a lot.

B-Quik now does syn oil and filter on the Vigo for a tad over 1000bht..????

Email Chevy..

FINALLY they have admitted in an e mail to me and  weblink to their site that DEXOS2 can be  used and service interval for change is 20000km so as far as Im concerned its  just a money spinner in servicing for the franchisee owners  heres the link and table..more interesting is what they recommend 10w-40 is only a 5k interval???

Their  email reply below .

Dear Valued customer,

We are also agree information as link https://en.chevrolet.co.th/complete-care/chevrolet-service/gm-tech.html . For more information, so you may consult with the professional technicians at the center. You may find the center as link 
http://s.chevy.com/gsmbv

gmtechtable750.jpg

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

40km every 10K KM ...

Maybe get a hotel room halfway if it is too far to drive in one day

Yeah but you dont get it, as from my other threads on this they "promised mobile servicing" where theyll come to you "anytime anywhere" the ad  said, when i enquired they wouldnt do it and now service interval changed to 10k from 15k but reality is 20k, still you can waste  your  time if  u like I like to know whats really what before i throw 1.2 milllion at a new pick up.

I drive a lot of  km's its inconvenient every 10k in fact its crap.

Oilchange on every 5k is done only to make money.And a 30 oil is like piss in the hot temp we have here.I would use 10/40 but it is hard to find,so 15/40 would be my choice every 20k.Sjeck the level once in a while to be safe.And ofcourse not the cheapest you can find either.3-400 bath difference dont make much difference for anyone with a mill+ car anyway.

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Yeah but you dont get it,

What I don't get is people not checking the service interval if they want to know when oil changes is required.

Two minutes on Google would have found the info.

And driving 40km for a service  - what a hardship !

A cold, cruel world it is ... I repeat

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

What I don't get is people not checking the service interval if they want to know when oil changes is required.

Two minutes on Google would have found the info.

And driving 40km for a service  - what a hardship !

A cold, cruel world it is ... I repeat

Repeat all you like, I asked the manufacturer they said 1ok yet their website if u can find it hiding says 20k for synthetic  oil only, u know nothing.

I dont want to drive 40k for a service is that so hard to understand just because u find it not a problem doesnt mean I dont .

You do realise this is for a new purchase of a vehicle I dont own a Chevrolet currently. Yet chevvy advertise at home mobile servicing which isnt  true, that service intervals have to be 10k which isnt true.

The whole point of the thread is about checking the interval, whats so HARD for you to understand?

15 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

Oilchange on every 5k is done only to make money.And a 30 oil is like piss in the hot temp we have here.I would use 10/40 but it is hard to find,so 15/40 would be my choice every 20k.Sjeck the level once in a while to be safe.And ofcourse not the cheapest you can find either.3-400 bath difference dont make much difference for anyone with a mill+ car anyway.

Lots of hype about on engine oils and 5000 kilometre has always made me laugh as I thought Thailand garages took it from the very old spec 3000 miles changes recommended on diesel engines.

Oil experts can be taken seriously in a way with oil technology advances and experimentation still being done.

I like this take :-

With synthetic oil blends in modern turbo diesel technology vehicles, owners might not have to change their oil for 10,000 miles. ( 16,000 km ) If you're still changing your engine oil every 5,000 miles ( 8,000 km ) or even 3,000 miles ( 5000 km ) then you may be just be flushing money. 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Lots of hype about on engine oils and 5000 kilometre has always made me laugh as I thought Thailand garages took it from the very old spec 3000 miles changes recommended on diesel engines.

Oil experts can be taken seriously in a way with oil technology advances and experimentation still being done.

I like this take :-

With synthetic oil blends in modern turbo diesel technology vehicles, owners might not have to change their oil for 10,000 miles. ( 16,000 km ) If you're still changing your engine oil every 5,000 miles ( 8,000 km ) or even 3,000 miles ( 5000 km ) then you may be just be flushing money. 

The whole point for me is this, Chevvy stated in a big fanfare, oil change every 15k's, this is what i want as im 40km from them, they then stated 10k for 2019 models and it just aint true if  using synthetic  oil and they have finally  admitted this in an e mail to me. But behind all of this is the "will they try and weedle out of a  warranty claim if I say Ive changed oils at 15k not 10k"

Its about me buying a vehicle that suits my needs which are below

1 -15 k service interval, I run up 10ks in no time at all going back and forth to BKK from where I live 250km each way

2 at home servicing

3 mustnt have <deleted> quality Orange peel paint (Ford Mazda worst)

4 half decent customer service ( almost impossible in Thailand)

5 No major known defects, Ford Rangers  sump oil issues draning for more than 10 minutes = bye bye engine.

6 not an ugly shitebox (personal opinion)

I like Ranger but its  paint is crap and service <deleted> too, note the class action lawsuits in Thailand + Australia both which Ford has  lost.

Chevrolet are few and far between for dealers but with their mobile servicing could be good, their paint is way above Fords crapness. I test drove both found Ford a  wallowly low powered lump (3.2)

Currently got a  Vigo but the Revo is dull as  anything and low powered.

Hoping Chevvy will re introduce the 2.8 to combat Fords Bi Turbo ( already some unreliability reports)

On 10/14/2018 at 10:22 AM, Kwasaki said:

worried about nowt

IM worried theyll back out of any warranty claim if I change oil at 15k even using their dexos 2 quality oil, any excuse in Thailand will do as you probably know.

I already knew Thai Colorados dont have a dpf I asked them months ago, maybe theyve twigged that they dont have to use Dexos 2 ( expensive) as this was best for dpf vehicles due to low sulfur content so they revamp service intervals use cheaper oil etc.

So now I have their  reply on changingoil at 15-20k Im gonna ask them if in the event of a warranty claim they will accept my 15k changes...........this will be interesting as the only other thing done at the first  (10k) 15k service is silicone spray on window mechanism according to their website

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Clueless is the person who hasnt read the thread to see he doesnt  own one.

That really is CLUELESS

The thread is a lot of worrying over nothing, anybody who knows anything about vehicle service and what oil to use makes its easy for them those who don't look in your service book it's not rocket science.

If your given a choice of oil choose the right one. 

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The thread is a lot of worrying over nothing, anybody who knows anything about vehicle service and what oil to use makes its easy for them those who don't look in your service book it's not rocket science.

If your given a choice of oil choose the right one. 

Im amazed at the inability to understand this thread shown here,  I DONT OWN this vehicle yet therefore I have NO service  book  ( maybe I wont even buy one of these pick ups new ) Ive tried  to find out the service interval which has recently been changed by contacting Chevrolet as I dont want their new 10k intervals for reasons explained PREVIOUSLY, but  you and others bang on about "look in service  book"

The reason I need to know  is will me  doing the oil change at 15k affect the warranty.

Chevrolet confirm I can use this  oil and change it at 20k using the other  oil they also specify not  fully  synthetic means a 10k change.

Does anyone actually read what Ive said?

ChrIst its  like pulling teeth.

48 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Clueless is the person who hasnt read the thread to see he doesnt  own one.

That really is CLUELESS

Thanks at least some people have comprehended what's going on.

So finally after about 10  e mails to Chevrolet I can confirm this  that changing  oil at 20000km  will not affect warranty claims. I'll keep the email as proof  for if the dealer later says different if I buy a  Chevrolet in the next few  months although waiting for 2020 model year now as  possible small update is coming.

Dear Valued customer,

We would like to recommend you get inspection about engine oil as Chevrolet’s information. You should change the oil at 20,000km and changing the oil is not about the warranty.

Best regards,
Customer Assistance Center
Chevrolet Sales Thailand.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Im amazed at the inability to understand this thread shown here,  I DONT OWN this vehicle yet therefore I have NO service  book  ( maybe I wont even buy one of these pick ups new ) Ive tried  to find out the service interval which has recently been changed by contacting Chevrolet as I dont want their new 10k intervals for reasons explained PREVIOUSLY, but  you and others bang on about "look in service  book"

The reason I need to know  is will me  doing the oil change at 15k affect the warranty.

Chevrolet confirm I can use this  oil and change it at 20k using the other  oil they also specify not  fully  synthetic means a 10k change.

Does anyone actually read what Ive said?

ChrIst its  like pulling teeth.

Jesus I give up, and gonna cut my throat with an oil sump plug spanner. 

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Dear Valued customer,

We would like to recommend you get inspection about engine oil as Chevrolet’s information. You should change the oil at 20,000km and changing the oil is not about the warranty.

Best regards,
Customer Assistance Center
Chevrolet Sales Thailand.

Not about warranty - 555

Seems you have found a kindred spirit at Chevrolet !

On 10/13/2018 at 6:44 PM, kannot said:

Im still interested in a  Colorado 2.5 diesel but i notice for Model Year 2019 Chevrolet changed oil service intervals for this  model from 15000km (9 months) to 10000km, this is a  pain for me as Im far from the dealer so I asked them why.

I think you're missing the point. If the warranty says "service every x000km or every y months" (which they all do) then that's what you have to do to retain the warranty. My vehicle never did anywhere near 10,000km per 6 months but for 3 years every 6 months I took it in for its service, which always included an oil change. Sometimes it had only done a couple of thousand km. I did this to retain the warranty and to retain the warranty you must have that service book stamp.

Within the warranty period if they say service every 10,000km then that's what you have to do, even if they send you a document saying that the oil life for better oil is longer than that. An in-warranty service is more than just an oil change. If you dont care about the warranty then just have the servicing done every 20,000km or whatever, but dont expect them to pay for repairs during the warranty period. What you do about oil changes out of the warranty period is up to you.

Their later comment about "changing the oil not affecting the warranty" appears to confirm this. It is a very unclear statement in true Thai tradition. I would not count on it in any way. But even if it is true you will still need to drive to the dealer once every 10,000km/6 months for the service, even if they skip the oil change. So you will be no better off. Get something with a longer service interval.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Jesus I give up, and gonna cut my throat with an oil sump plug spanner. 

get on with it then and take yer two pals  with ya, mods doing <deleted> all as  usual, there thats two dumbass rules Ive broken.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I think you're missing the point

no you have totally. buy a 2017 colorado  same engine same specs no change 15k km service interval, buy a 2018 colorado same engine same specs ie NO change 10k service only change cheaper oil needs  changing more often only work done at 10k ...............CHANGE OIL pointless waste of time

5 hours ago, kannot said:

no you have totally. buy a 2017 colorado  same engine same specs no change 15k km service interval, buy a 2018 colorado same engine same specs ie NO change 10k service only change cheaper oil needs  changing more often only work done at 10k ...............CHANGE OIL pointless waste of time

If your only issues are the cost of the oil and the distance to the dealership, just put better oil in and change it less often. End of problem.

My point was that these are not the only issues and not the most important ones either. The warranty is the only important issue, or at least it would be for me and, I suspect, most other buyers.
If Chevy say that in order to keep the warranty you have to service it every 10,000km, that's what you have to do. If they say that in order to keep the warranty you have to hop about on one leg and bark like a dog, that's also what you have to do.

Doing my services every 6 months was a huge waste of time and money, but that's what I had to do.

Your ONLY option, if you want to have the warranty but you dont like their terms, is to buy another brand as I suggested. What's the problem with that? Other brands are readily available.

It would be exactly the same issue if you liked a particular colour in the 2017 range but found that in the 2018 range they had removed that colour. You can accept it or walk, but you cant change it. Or you can carry on tilting at windmills.

5 hours ago, kannot said:

I have understood what you have been saying....????

As for warranty, and this is just my opinion, rides are so reliable these days the only thing a manufacturer should worry about is the purchaser should change oil and filter at a reasonable km as the engine is probably the only thing that could go wrong..

PS. I wouldn't buy a Chevy..????

Archived