Always Disappearing.

NoshowJones

I guess you have to describe a little better what is happening.

There is no browser "Hotmail".

It would be best if you describe step by step what you are doing, what you are seeing and if you don't see what you expect to see then describe what you expect to see and what you actually see.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you have to describe a little better what is happening.

There is no browser "Hotmail".

It would be best if you describe step by step what you are doing, what you are seeing and if you don't see what you expect to see then describe what you expect to see and what you actually see.

Sorry, Hotmail is where I sign in for my emails. The ones I want to keep, I put in the Archives. They are supposed to stay there until I delete them.

Most of them after a short time just disappear. I have a secondary sign in for emails, Yahoo, any that I put in the archives stay there until I want to delete them, so what is the problem with Hotmail?

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry, Hotmail is where I sign in for my emails. The ones I want to keep, I put in the Archives. They are supposed to stay there until I delete them.

Most of them after a short time just disappear. I have a secondary sign in for emails, Yahoo, any that I put in the archives stay there until I want to delete them, so what is the problem with Hotmail?

Which version of Windows are you using.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am using Windows 10, and it is the real version upgraded from what it was before when I bought my desktop from JCB.

Have you tried using MAIL as opposed to Hotmail, I find it better after a bit of learning.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Have you tried using MAIL as opposed to Hotmail, I find it better after a bit of learning.

I would have got rid of Hotmail when these emails in my archives started disappearing. But I have had it for many years with the same email address, so it would be very inconvenient for me to have to stop using my Hotmail email address.

I don't understand this MAIL, but I will Google it.

Just now, possum1931 said:

I would have got rid of Hotmail when these emails in my archives started disappearing. But I have had it for many years with the same email address, so it would be very inconvenient for me to have to stop using my Hotmail email address.

I don't understand this MAIL, but I will Google it.

MAIL is an email program included in W10. You add which email accounts you want it to look at, and it does. I think if you already have a Hotmail address, it puts it there automatically.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

MAIL is an email program included in W10. You add which email accounts you want it to look at, and it does. I think if you already have a Hotmail address, it puts it there automatically.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I'm sorry I do not understand this, and I know you are trying to help.

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
36 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

36 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I'm sorry I do not understand this, and I know you are trying to help.

If you logon to Windows 10 with your Hotmail email address then, and only then, will Windows 10 automatically received your existing Hotmail address with the MAIL program.

If MAIL does currently not receive your Hotmail email to that program then you can add the email account to the program - if you want.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I didn't use Hotmail for many years. But I discovered with other email and email accounts that sometimes you have different views.

I.e. you look at a folder and you expect to see all email in that folder.

But maybe what happens is that you see only the recent mail (i.e. nothing older than 3 months). The rest of the mail is still there, but you don't see it. That might be something that happens to you (but maybe not).

Another problem might be that one of your mail programs (maybe you use more than one programs to look at the same email accounts) archives your messages. I.e. Outlook is doing that. Then your old mail are moved to a new section Archive.

Unfortunately there are many options about what happens. But normally mail is not just deleted.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't use Hotmail for many years. But I discovered with other email and email accounts that sometimes you have different views.

I.e. you look at a folder and you expect to see all email in that folder.

But maybe what happens is that you see only the recent mail (i.e. nothing older than 3 months). The rest of the mail is still there, but you don't see it. That might be something that happens to you (but maybe not).

Another problem might be that one of your mail programs (maybe you use more than one programs to look at the same email accounts) archives your messages. I.e. Outlook is doing that. Then your old mail are moved to a new section Archive.

Unfortunately there are many options about what happens. But normally mail is not just deleted.

Thanks to both you and Wgdanson for your help, but send and receiving emails and archiving them should be simple, but then that is computers for you. I just wish Yahoo was my main email address instead of the disgusting Hotmail, or now Outlook.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

but send and receiving emails and archiving them should be simple

I think you raised this issue before?

I do not use archive but create separate folders for stuff I keep so I can easily find what I want. I have just checked and I still have mails in folders going back to 2008. As a practical suggestion maybe you could create a couple of folders and move your archived mails to them and see if the problem persists.

If the mail has disappeared in the last 30 days you should be able to get it back - there are numerous threads on the outlook.com support forum.

Are you synching with more than one device - say pc and phone as there could be a conflict in how they are set up? (not sure if that was what OneMoreFarang was suggesting?).

6 minutes ago, topt said:

I think you raised this issue before?

I do not use archive but create separate folders for stuff I keep so I can easily find what I want. I have just checked and I still have mails in folders going back to 2008. As a practical suggestion maybe you could create a couple of folders and move your archived mails to them and see if the problem persists.

If the mail has disappeared in the last 30 days you should be able to get it back - there are numerous threads on the outlook.com support forum.

Are you synching with more than one device - say pc and phone as there could be a conflict in how they are set up? (not sure if that was what OneMoreFarang was suggesting?).

This is very good advice, I am going to look into it, as for synching with another phone, only very occasional ie if I am looking at football scores when I am in a different room from my desktop.

I am always creating folders for movies and tv shows, so I will try that with any emails I want to keep. Thanks.

8 hours ago, topt said:

Yes, if email accounts are setup with IMAP then the mail is synchronized. That means if someone deletes mail i.e. on a PC, because he thinks he does not need them there, then that mail will also be deleted from the server (what is visible in web mail).

It is up to the users, or whoever setup the mail on that device, how it is configured. This would be a long article if I would try to describe all the things which could go wrong...

One other thing you can try possum is by using an email client to keep a backup of your Hotmail. As wgdanson & OneMoreFalang mentioned earlier, perhaps the built-in client with W10, MAIL can do this, I'm not sure. If you have MS Office installed with Outlook (email client) in the package, I would recommend this.

The link below guides you through setting up an IMAP Hotmail account in Thunderbird (free email client) as a backup to your web access in Hotmail.

https://askleo.com/back-email-using-thunderbird/?awt_l=Kpe5x&awt_m=JW_rgrjCxpdfbL&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20181016&utm_medium=email&utm_content=featured 

If you go on this path, the homepage for Thunderbird is: https://www.thunderbird.net 

If you prefer, you can also set Hotmail up as a POP3 account; a bit old school, but assured of an email backup if you archive correctly.

Hotmail has been hit and miss for years now.  I moved to Gmail early on and use that to receive/send/file my Hotmail - but find Gmail account the norm these days and use that directly most of the time.  Very easy to use inside Chrome and have access to all email accounts in one file - not need to sign into Hotmail - Gmail does it every hour (you set how often) and can easily check immediately if expecting something.  

Archived