What's the average cost to build a house per sqm in Isaan?

Hi, i live in Issan at Chaiyaphum, we plan to build a house (around 95 sqm). The builder ask us 3500 thb/sqm. This price doesn't include the material building. Is it a average price ? Our house will be very simple with a roof like the picture picture below. Should i include the covered and concrete terrace area to calculate the price of the house ? Or the price per sqm should be lower for the terrace ?

The house is 95sqm and the terrace 20sqm = 115 x 3500 THB

44219130_244527623084676_2029800152520196096_n.jpg

• Haha 1

That's a lot for labour only. 6 guys could knock that up in Less than 3 months... Do the maths yourself.  More important, you won't own it so don't even bother.  Numerous  threads at present where guys are losing millions of baht though houses they don't own.  Rent or seriously write the money off if you have to move out once it's finished. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Yes that is way too high.   Rule of thumb around here outside of Udon is that the labour costs are 1/3 of the total costs..  By way of example somebody I know just had a house similar to the picture built but it is around 120 sq. mtr and cost 1.15 million baht finished ( well the shell is finished no furniture etc).   He was quoted initially as 800,000 for materials and plus 1/3 again of that for labour.  That worked out at around 270,000 for labour or 2250 baht/sq mtr

• Like 1

I can confirm that this is WAY too high!

Workers on construction sites are among the lowest paid, and the material is very cheap anyway.

I remember talking with a farang architect in Pattaya, who told me that construction costs, all included (not only the material, but bathroom, kitchen and so on) varied between 2,500 and 9,000 baht per sqm...and that was for Pattaya-Bangkok.

In Isaan, where I live, people build nice houses for less than a million.

The one on the photo has a nice look, but no architectural complexity...basically a box.

And 95 sqm is small...you should not spend more than 1 to 1.2 million on it, all included...certainly not 3 millions only for the workers!

I could send you workers who would gladly do the job for the regular price...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

The OP's question is about cost per sq meter, not about building vs renting. Stick to the topic.

And I answered  the OPs question. However there are many naive people here that don't understand you CANT own property here and potentially can lose your life savings,  just making the OP aware as he may not know. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

There are a few people building out our way (near Mahasarakham). The labour component for a decent quality 100 square metre house seems to be around 250,000 Baht (compared to your quote which works out around 350,000 Baht).

So, yes, you should get other quotes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I can confirm that this is WAY too high!

Workers on construction sites are among the lowest paid, and the material is very cheap anyway.

I remember talking with a farang architect in Pattaya, who told me that construction costs, all included (not only the material, but bathroom, kitchen and so on) varied between 2,500 and 9,000 baht per sqm...and that was for Pattaya-Bangkok.

In Isaan, where I live, people build nice houses for less than a million.

The one on the photo has a nice look, but no architectural complexity...basically a box.

And 95 sqm is small...you should not spend more than 1 to 1.2 million on it, all included...certainly not 3 millions only for the workers!

I could send you workers who would gladly do the job for the regular price...

Thanks Mate, in fact the builder said that the house should cost about 800.000 THB for low materials quality to 1 million THB for higher quality. So 115sqmx3500THB = 402.500 THB for the labour and 597.500 THB for the materials. If you know any good and cheaper worker who could accept to work here at Chaiyaphum please give me his phone number.

Cheers

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

And I answered  the OPs question. However there are many naive people here that don't understand you CANT own property here and potentially can lose your life savings,  just making the OP aware as he may not know. 

I know mate, that's why i decide to build a 1 million bahts house only...

Edited by noopin2014
  • Like 1

When you ask what the price should be, we ask, for what:

Labour only or labour and materials?

Including garden walls/patio's, driveway, veranda's, outbuildings etc?

Unfinished?

To include wiring, plumbing and porcelain?

Finished to local standards?

Finished to Western standards?

Finished to high standards?

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Give it a rest will ya.

Jesus wept.

To the Op ;

3.5k per sqm sounds a tad expensive, but perhaps the guy includes very neat hidden electrics, excellent plumbing, and superb rendering & finishing in those costs.

For your normal house builder in Nakon Nowhere i'd reckon the figure would be closer to 2k per sqm. We paid 1200 Baht per sqm in 2005 and i was very happy with the results on a 216 sqm 2 floor house..

Get some different quotes, plenty of builders about and try and see some of their previous work. 

Always best if you are there on site every other day, cheaper if you buy all materials yourself, so the builder is only charging you labour.

Good luck.

Thanks, don't hesitate to contact me if you know a builder...

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

When you ask what the price should be, we ask, for what:

Labour only or labour and materials?

Including garden walls/patio's, driveway, veranda's, outbuildings etc?

Unfinished?

To include wiring, plumbing and porcelain?

Finished to local standards?

Finished to Western standards?

Finished to high standards?

i guess it is local standard, 3.500THB/sqm it is only for labour in the house including the wiring, plumbing, painting...

1 hour ago, noopin2014 said:

Thanks Mate, in fact the builder said that the house should cost about 800.000 THB for low materials quality to 1 million THB for higher quality. So 115sqmx3500THB = 402.500 THB for the labour and 597.500 THB for the materials. If you know any good and cheaper worker who could accept to work here at Chaiyaphum please give me his phone number.

Cheers

It all depends on what is included in these costs.

If the workers do the plumbing, the electricity, the tiling of the floors and the painting of the walls...and if the materials include all what is necessary for that (tiles, paint, doors, windows...), then your numbers are OK...

But if it just the basics = floors, walls, roof, doors and windows, then it's a rip off.

On top of that, be aware that if you want a good result, you have to be constantly on the premises...and I mean constantly!

I talked with a Thai woman who had a very nice house built not far from our village, and asked her how she had managed to get such a good result...her answer was that she had been sitting in the middle of the site every day during the construction!

Expect the worse when it comes to plumbing, electricity and especially painting...all of which I prefer doing myself...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Bright spark ????

We're joking of course but my original comment on this was real, Thai sparkies are frequently self-taught and often quite dangerous. We got lucky when we built the MiL's house in that the sparky had worked overseas and it showed in his work which was first rate. Later I had my house rewired and I found a guy who was similar and he did a superb job. I'd no more leave a house wiring job to a builder than I would eat somtam for breakfast, it's just not advisable.

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Give it a rest will ya.

Jesus wept.

To the Op ;

3.5k per sqm sounds a tad expensive, but perhaps the guy includes very neat hidden electrics, excellent plumbing, and superb rendering & finishing in those costs.

For your normal house builder in Nakon Nowhere i'd reckon the figure would be closer to 2k per sqm. We paid 1200 Baht per sqm in 2005 and i was very happy with the results on a 216 sqm 2 floor house..

Get some different quotes, plenty of builders about and try and see some of their previous work. 

Always best if you are there on site every other day, cheaper if you buy all materials yourself, so the builder is only charging you labour.

Good luck.

The OP seems to be aware he can lose everything, in his own words that's why he will only spend one million Baht. Nothing wrong In highlighting to people that buy or build houses here that they do not and will never own it. 

• Like 1