Two top Trump aides tangle outside Oval Office over immigration

webfact

Two top Trump aides tangle outside Oval Office over immigration

2018-10-18T211510Z_1_LYNXNPEE9H20A_RTROPTP_4_USA-JAPAN.JPG

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and National Security Advisor John Bolton attend a meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida U.S., April 17, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two of President Donald Trump's top advisers got into a heated exchange outside the Oval Office on Thursday as passions boiled over about how to handle illegal immigration, two sources familiar with the incident said.

The altercation occurred between White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, who is a former homeland security secretary, and Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, the sources said.

One source described the argument as a "tense exchange" but said that it had blown over, and that it involved the job performance of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, a former deputy to Kelly. Another source said it was "not a big deal."

Trump, asked about the incident, told reporters: "That I have not heard about."

A senior White House official said later that Nielsen and Bolton had a nice conversation in Bolton's office after the exchange and agreed the goal was to protect borders.

Earlier this year, the New York Times reported that Nielsen was close to resigning after being criticized by Trump at a Cabinet meeting for what he said was her failure to secure U.S. borders.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement: "While we are passionate about solving the issue of illegal immigration, we are not angry at one another. However, we are furious at the failure of Congressional Democrats to help us address this growing crisis."

Trump threatened on Thursday to deploy the military and close the southern U.S. border as Hondurans and Salvadorans joined thousands of migrants in Guatemala hoping to travel north.

"I must, in the strongest of terms, ask Mexico to stop this onslaught – and if unable to do so I will call up the U.S. Military and CLOSE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!' Trump said in a tweet.

(Reporting by Steve Holland and Jeff Mason; Editing by Mary Milliken and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-19

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement: "While we are passionate about solving the issue of illegal immigration, we are not angry at one another. However, we are furious at the failure of Congressional Democrats to help us address this growing crisis."

She then went on to explain how much easier it would be if the Republicans had the Presidency and a majority in both houses.

That reminds me of Trumps theme song.

If I ruled the World,

you had all better watch out. :whistling:

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement: "While we are passionate about solving the issue of illegal immigration, we are not angry at one another. However, we are furious at the failure of Congressional Democrats to help us address this growing crisis."

She then went on to explain how much easier it would be if the Republicans had the Presidency and a majority in both houses.

Does she not realize that they already do. :whistling:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

So if Trump has to close the southern border and call in the military - will he shoot and kill innocent men, women and children who try to enter the USA???

a solid plan, wouldn't take long to stop the illegal influx if he did order that.

• Confused 1

so let me see we are supposed to get freaked out about 2,000 needy poor people trying to gain asylum here really?for real?are you really going to buy into this paranoia this mind set is not my America trump and his ideas are a bad cartoon check the immigrants out if their clame is bs send them home stop dividing and destroying start leading you fake president 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

a solid plan, wouldn't take long to stop the illegal influx if he did order that.

He wouldn't be stopping the illegal flux but rather the legal flux by closing the border.

The border is already closed to illegal immigrants. 

The US does not have an open border policy.

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

So if Trump has to close the southern border and call in the military - will he shoot and kill innocent men, women and children who try to enter the USA???

Tear gas and rubber bullets first then shots over the heads, then shoot to kill. Illegal immigrants with no right to enter your country are not 'innocent'.

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Tug said:

so let me see we are supposed to get freaked out about 2,000 needy poor people trying to gain asylum here really?for real?are you really going to buy into this paranoia this mind set is not my America trump and his ideas are a bad cartoon check the immigrants out if their clame is bs send them home stop dividing and destroying start leading you fake president 

Illegal economic migrants are NOT 'asylum seekers' that excuse has been used up long ago. This is just a political stunt nothing more.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I suspect that if push comes to shove then Trump will have to give the order to shoot to kill in writing.

That may well be an illegal order and the military may well ignore it IMHO.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Tear gas and rubber bullets first then shots over the heads, then shoot to kill. Illegal immigrants with no right to enter your country are not 'innocent'.

Hang on a minute. We have a mighty country projecting itself worldwide as a beacon of peace, prosperity and freedom. With interests all around the globe to the point of war against tyranny in far-flung countries.

However war creates poverty and desperation. Isn't it natural then that the desperate and needy would wish to flock to your shores in order to realise the American Dream? Yes, you put an end to my dictator but now my country is in ruins so now I turn to you. And now you want to gun us down like animals? 

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

It likely wouldn’t happen because it’s a waste of resources.  I’m still waiting for the parade that the military doesn’t want to do

• Like 1

TRump is like an old horse that is going deaf, and is blindered. In SA he sees no

evil, but the caravan of poor Spanish speaking people are not to be allowed in his

golden country. He is also deaf to those who oppose him. What a great leader you

Americans have, and he doesn't even have nice hair.

Geezer

• Haha 1