Floating Market’s neighbors still under water, more investigation ahead

Rimmer

Floating Market’s neighbors still under water, more investigation ahead

image.png

PATTAYA:--Somnuk Huayyai’s family has been living on the same three-rai property in East Pattaya since the 70-year-old’s grandmother built a house there. But for the past 10 years she’s also lived with flooding.

Located behind the Pattaya Floating Market, Somnuk’s property has become nearly unlivable due to both flooding and the tourist attraction’s garbage that piles up in front of her home. And when she tried to sell, the market low-balled its offer, she said.

But Somnuk is not alone. Since June, residents between Sukhumvit Soi 83 and 98 had complained that Floating Market management has continually filled property it owns near the park, raising it to a higher level than surrounding land. But because the land-filling has been uneven and sporadic, large lakes form after heavy rain.

The lakes then overflow and all the water runs downhill into their yards.

In response, Pattaya’s former administrators had 40 meters of 60-centimeter-wide pipe laid to take flood waters to the main drainage pipe on Sukhumvit Road. In addition, the crews cleaned out the existing drainage pipes of mud and garbage. But those are only temporary fixes.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/floating-markets-neighbors-still-water-investigation-ahead-226790

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-19

I tried to drive towards Sattahip yesterday (Friday) on the 'new' road alongside the railway.  After several skirmishes with flood water, the police closed the road.  I tried to get onto Suk only to find total gridlock.  I gave up & went home.

This was after I'd been gridlocked for 90 minutes on Pattaya Nua by Terminal 21's opening.  I will never visit this store nor use Pattaya Nua again.

The so-called "floating market" (it isn't floating) was underwater yesterday, as were both sides of Sukhumvit and the Tiger Park. Huge pumps moving the water to make it all worse, and traffic totally gridlocked both ways. No way to escape!