Thai Airways investigate "deadhead pilot" delay drama

webfact

Thai Airways investigate "deadhead pilot" delay drama

6pm.jpg

Thai Airways have promised a full investigation after a flight from Zurich to Bangkok was delayed for more than two hours.

Sanook said that many people online were demanding: Who was to blame?

An argument developed with two first class passengers who were asked to give up their seats to what is known as "deadhead pilots". These are staff going to another destination to take up duties. 

The question is whether the pilot of the plane can demand that paying passengers give up seats to accommodate such crew. 

"Trollydollysaysit" online states:  "A deadhead is an airline crew member, a pilot or a cabin crew, who is assigned to fly to a particular destination to assume a duty. ... However if the flight is full, a revenue passenger or a non-rev crew cannot bump off a deadhead".

In the case of TG 971 from Switzerland on October 11th the pilot refused to fly until the situation was sorted out, reported Sanook. 

Senior executive at Thai Airways Sumeth Damrongchaitham said that this was a serious case and promised a full investigation into the matter, reported Daily News on Friday.  

Source: Sanook, Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News

So if the site they are quoting is correct a "deadhead" must fly? Once that question is properly established we can argue where they should have been sat. Then obviously can they not sit in business? But besides all that good on the pilots for sticking by their brothers. There's a lot more that need to be explained here for mine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, manarak said:

err...

my point of view is a bit different. apparently, the "deadheads" refused to fly in business class, and the "braindead" delayed the plane for over 2 hours until passengers who paid for first accepted a downgrade to business to that employees could enjoy first ??

that's how I read it, I am sure there are plenty of trade union regulations behind that scandalous incident.

Like I said mate I don't know enough about it but if the deadheads must fly and the plane was full then good on the pilots for not leaving. I know nothing about the passengers in first whether they were on cheap fares or upgrades or even the airlines individual policy. There are however a tonne of whatifs to be discussed before we start Thai bashing. If your correct and the pilots chose only to fly in first then sure it's a big issue that needs addressing.

Edited by starky

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

With 1st class full, were the majority RTA travellers? .....apparently, there were Business seats available but of course, that's never going to be good enough for Thai Air pilots.

I reckon as a pax on the flight he was 'dead-heading' to meet, I would really appreciate that the bus driver was properly rested. Wouldn't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toknarok said:

A quote from the Independent regarding a similar incident which took place on American Airlines, apparently it's quite a common experience.

It is not unusual for airlines to offer travel vouchers to encourage people to give up their seats, and there are no rules for the process. When an airline demands that a passenger give up a seat, the airline is required to pay double the passenger's one-way fare, up to $675 (£544) provided the passenger is put on a flight that arrives within one to two hours of the original. The compensation rises to four times the ticket price, up to $1,350 (£1,088), for longer delays.

My last ticket cost $7,000.00

$1350.00 isn't going to do it for me!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manarak said:

err...

my point of view is a bit different. apparently, the "deadheads" refused to fly in business class, and the "braindead" delayed the plane for over 2 hours until passengers who paid for first accepted a downgrade to business to that employees could enjoy first ??

that's how I read it, I am sure there are plenty of trade union regulations behind that scandalous incident.

if I was managing the airline, I would refund all business and first passengers and either dock the pay of all staff members who had a part in causing that situation because of their stubbornness or make them work for free for an amount of hours equal to the passengers' whole time they wasted. 300 pax x 2 hours = 600 hours.

Hahahah. So not only did you edit your op you now want to refund all business and first passengers? Why not the whole plane? Or coach doesn't matter. That's why you don't manage airlines clearly. But seeing you are the worlds expert on airline travel could you enlighten us all on what Thai Airways policy is specifically regarding to pilots who are deadheading? Clearly I said if business seats were available it would be a major issue. It's not about employees enjoying a perk it's about airline staff being required elsewhere in their course of duty. 

Edited by starky

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

<deleted> is a 'deadhead', this is a word we used to use as kids to describe the most stupid kids of them all. They were deadheads.

Yeah well deadhead is a North American term so maybe that explains it's usage.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Not lost on the fact Thai Airways, a public company is a constant drain on Thai taxpayers and brimming with inefficiency and corruption.

But let's have a look, shall we?

Take two paid pax, first class mind you and kick them off so that non paying staff can ride deadhead - home. The pilot essentially refused to fly until the passengers gave up their seats.

For the sake of argument, if two business class seats or even coach were open and the pilots cannot be seated there, this results in a loss of revenue for Thai airlines.

Yeah, imagine being a pilot can suck despite big money and first class can ease the pain of a deadhead flight but business has plenty of room. It's just typical Thai privilege.

I stopped flying Thai decades ago, mid 90s. It's one of the worst value airlines in existence and would be long gone save for the government handouts seemingly forever

Let it die.

Mate do you even understand what the topic is about? It's not about a couple of free loading staff kicking someone out of their seat or Thai airways staff on staff travel being obstinate. This is about 2 on duty pilots being transferred where they need to go. Every airline does it. <deleted> sake. As far as I know a deadheading staff member gets priority over any revenue paying traveller regardless of the airline. Whether or not the are entitled to first class is the debatable point.

• Like 2