Thai drivers ignoring 11 million traffic tickets

webfact

23 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Correct - from Win 7  :clap2:

How are they going to set up a data base from the mountain of paperwork, that is dumped (probably at the roadside or in the sea) within a few days of you going through the hassle of putting it together. 30th world country 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, webfact said:

9.838 million tickets mailed out

Given that ridiculously large number of ignored tickets apparently mailed out, I'd be inclined to wonder first whether they ever were actually sent and/or delivered. I've seen first hand attempts at automation in a Thai institution; hastily written VBA Macro scripts that get into infinite loops or hang and no one has the job of noticing or maintaining.

How surprising.  Stick a camera and a radar gun on a pole, send a ticket to speeder through the mail, and actually expect them to pay for the ticket.  All Thais understand that there is no enforcement of traffic laws in Thailand.  So what do the 'authorities' expect?  :clap2:

I have a great idea!!!  Set up cameras to record and digitize the license plate of cars and motorcycles at strategic places on highways and major roads (well, those that have plates), compare the digitized license plates against outstanding tickets, and issue another ticket to the owner of the car if they failed to pay their original ticket(s).  :thumbsup: 
Great idea, huh?  ????

On 10/19/2018 at 2:39 PM, webfact said:

Kraiboon said he had instructed the IT team of the Royal Thai Police to work out with the Land Transport Department to link the PTM and vehicle registration systems.

Motorists who do not pay their fines would be unable to renew their vehicle registration annually as required.

I can hear the outrage now by Thai citizens now!!!  The government will walk back that idea a week after it's implemented. 

On 10/19/2018 at 3:30 PM, taninthai said:

Good on the Thais I say ,people in my country roll over to easy and simply pay everything ,tv license,dog license even have to pay to park when visiting sick or dying  relatives in hospital........

power to the people I say.

This is about Thailand and what goes on elsewhere concerning permits, parking, etc., is of little value.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:54 AM, keith101 said:

Or the vehicle has been sold and the new owner hasn't changed to their name very convenient for speeders .

Yeah...when you have a system were both the fine and the insurance follow the car then you ask for it...

Edited by ttrd

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Police frequently carry out roadblock checks near my place  - you know, the ones that the PM told them to end - and they seem to be looking mostly for those without the registration in the window. What happens to those without, I know not. Maybe they issue a fine that won't be paid ????:cheesy:

Just maybe Pc Plonker sticks what ever  dosh he can get, in his back pocket.

i could be wrong after 20 years. :jap:

Thai drivers ignore everything...traffic fines are a minor foot note highlighting their contempt in general for everything. Not sure why this is news to the Thai authorities and they should start to enact proper sanctions against offenders as at the moment most people here simply believe that the law is not for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Thai drivers ignore everything...traffic fines are a minor foot note highlighting their contempt in general for everything. Not sure why this is news to the Thai authorities and they should start to enact proper sanctions against offenders as at the moment most people here simply believe that the law is not for them.

Nonetheless, the people have spoken - 

Resist the dominant paradigm. 

• Like 1

Oh come on, many Thais drive the wrong way, ignore many road traffic rules...if they ignore the traffic laws so blatantly a ticket won't get a second, third....thought. The laws aren't enforced and it looks like tickets get treated the same way.

12 hours ago, akampa said:

I recently had speeding ticket, they give varies options to pay the most convenient was to pay at any  K bank.  

I meant to reference your red light point....the fine for that is disgusting low for what is a very dangerous thing to do. The other side of the coin was my GF was playing cards with her friends for five baht a hand.....the cops came in and they were taken to a police station and fined 2000 baht each.....We can see where the priorities are with the police.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:30 AM, taninthai said:

Good on the Thais I say ,people in my country roll over to easy and simply pay everything ,tv license,dog license even have to pay to park when visiting sick or dying  relatives in hospital........

power to the people I say.

Too right, who needs hospitals - let them die. Who wants TV - shut down BBC and turn off the transmitters. As for dogs just shoot them all. Even better stop paying all taxes and let all those on benefits die, open the prisons, do away with police and armed forces, Isis can then roam in and do it properly, I can dream. Power to the stupid and short sighted.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chang1 said:

Too right, who needs hospitals - let them die. Who wants TV - shut down BBC and turn off the transmitters. As for dogs just shoot them all. Even better stop paying all taxes and let all those on benefits die, open the prisons, do away with police and armed forces, Isis can then roam in and do it properly, I can dream. Power to the stupid and short sighted.

I’m sure with the huge taxes we pay which add up to way over 50% of our wages they could easily manage to keep all services running,but hey if you like giving your hard earned cash to corrupt governments you carry on????????????.

The sheep will always be blinded and easily herded around????????????????

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

"Traffic Ticket Issued by Traffic Officers or Competent Officials".

I'm sure that probably means something more logical in Thai but in English, that sounds like every other Somchais can issue a traffic summon. Plus... 'competent officials'? In Thailand?

7 hours ago, taninthai said:

I’m sure with the huge taxes we pay which add up to way over 50% of our wages they could easily manage to keep all services running,but hey if you like giving your hard earned cash to corrupt governments you carry on????????????.

The sheep will always be blinded and easily herded around????????????????

If the government has so much money, why are we in so much debt? We can debate all day long who pays what. Which is why we vote left or right and let the government decide. We can't then pick and choose what we pay. Or maybe I should withhold the tax that pays for pensioners living abroad and embassies. 

Thailand is a prime example of what happens when people don't follow the rules and pay their dues - a third world country with the world's highest road death rate, an ineffective legal system and corruption everywhere. Not much of a problem if you are retired or going to be reincarnated and have a better life next time but for those of us that are working and only have one life with no afterlife, not so good.

Look at it this way - one of those people who you are encouraging not to pay their fines and just carry on driving like an idiot instead of being more careful, may be the one that recklessly runs into you, injuring you and kills half your family then bribes a cop so that he can sue you for damaging his car. I expect you will probably then blame the government for not doing it's job.

The UK has its corruption better hidden and could do more to stop it but at least when it is found there are usually consequences. No need to worry though as Corbyn will soon get in and make us a third world country where no one needs to take any responsibility.

There will always be selfish people who think they can go through life taking and not giving because they are so special.

• Thanks 1

Many of these tickets are for speeding. While the concept is good, setting the limits at 80-90 kph for the main and elevated highways is just silly, surly, goofy, foolish and misguided. On the elevated toll way in BKK 80kph is a snails pace and is only intended to collect revenue, not to make the roads safer. I applaud the public for not paying those fines. Even on the highways 90kph is totally unrealistic. Create dumb laws. Expect them to be ignored.

This has never been about safety. When was the last time you saw a car pulled over for speeding on the highway? Or reckless driving? This does not happen. The highway patrol is only seen after an accident takes place. Otherwise the Casper syndrome is in full effect. 

• Like 2

They don't even know where the locals live , so how can they even receive the ticket? They buy a car on down payment and someone else is driving it , a distant relative in a small village .

This is a 3rd world country you know, even if they try to tell us they belong to the richer part of the world. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 10:02 PM, chang1 said:

Power to the stupid and short sighted.

14 hours ago, chang1 said:

third world country 

Insults and way of topic ,you are obviously far superior to everyone else so I will not bother with any more replies????

9 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

His posts were spot on.

You are just attacking the messenger because you don't like the truth in what he posted.

Ok if you say it’s the truth it must be and I will agree just so I don’t have to reply anymore......Thailand third world,,, ,people starving to death ,some don’t even have access to water,and many dying everyday because of disease and infections with nohospitals to treat them.......all they can rely on is charity from the U.N and Red Cross..........they are also stupid and short sighted because they don’t want to be controlled by corrupt governments.....bye bye ????????????????????