One step closer to legalisation

rooster59

6 minutes ago, namatjira said:

to the papas on here raving about the dangers of weed...

you are the last of the small minded dinosaurs...and the ideas

that you hold dear are works of fiction...…..

Don't kid yourself. Like any drug, there are dangerous side effects.

For example from Cannabis and mental health from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK.

In spite of government and media warnings about health risks, many people see cannabis as a harmless substance that helps you to relax and 'chill' - a drug that, unlike alcohol and cigarettes, might even be good for your physical and mental health.

On the other hand, research over the last 10 years has suggested that it can have serious consequences for people, such as the development of an enduring psychotic illness, particularly in those who are genetically vulnerable...……..

Mental health problems

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past.  Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

I used it a lot in my twenties, and now in my sixties I have memory gaps of those years. Is there a connection? Probably.

Use it for the high if you wish, but don't kid yourself that it's harmless.

As for driving after use; don't. It reduces reaction time and awareness much like alcohol, but remains in the system for longer. Stoned drivers are as bad and deserve the same punishment as drunk drivers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikebike said:

And, please do mention the mental illness and impaired learning. Many more are saved from those afflictions than succumb to it.

You have evidence from a reputable source for this?

Finally we the people are starting to wake up and want to reverse the stupid criminalisation of a piece of nature.

BUT.

Oh, medical cannabis.

Will that be a patentable extract of just a few compounds?

Surely nature knows best and it is being seen that cannabis oil from the whole plant works best with little or no side effects.

The same is not true for currently available medical cannabis.

Perhaps Bigpharma are behind this new situation?

Theres a lotta money to be made here.....

As always, follow the money!

I used it a lot in my twenties, and now in my sixties I have memory gaps of those years. Is there a connection? Probably.

Use it for the high if you wish, but don't kid yourself that it's harmless.

As for driving after use; don't. It reduces reaction time and awareness much like alcohol, but remains in the system for longer. Stoned drivers are as bad and deserve the same punishment as drunk drivers.

Interesting that your quote only says research has shown.....
Where are the actual studies?

We are confused by science.
It has been hijacked by corporations and we don’t know what to believe,
Anecdotal evidence is poo pooed, probably because everyone is individual, ones man’s meat is another’s poison?

However, if the anecdotal reports generally support each other and if there are enough of them, then these reports should be taken seriously.
Science is very confusing.
Follow the money.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wonder why this suddenly seems such an urgent issue to deal with?

One would think this country has more important things to deal with?

I can see already the traffic accident statistics climbing to new heights in addition to the drunks , the ones high on meth we will have the rest driving around stoned.

If there is money to be made - like with cigarettes - governments don’t seem to care if their citizens become addicted or not.

I can see already a huge black market developing not for “medical use” another great tea money earner for the police.

Wonder what their neighbors to the south have to say about that?

Malaysia and Singapore still have the death penalty - even for cannabis.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you read the article , they talk about Malaysia, is considering 

Edited by Nice Boyd

@laislica,

I do not dispute the facts that cannabis, in various forms, has medicinal benefits. So do opiates, but I wouldn't recommend using heroin as a recreational drug!

Whilst I have not yet had time to watch all the videos in your link I do have to comment that the makers are an organisation promoting cannabis use; hardly unbiased!

Also, I am concerned about mental illness caused by recreational cannabis use, not the, proven, effects THC has on physical illnesses.

What I asked @mikebike was if he had reputable evidence that many more people have been saved from mental illness and impaired learning by cannabis use than have suffered these afflictions because of it. Do the videos have any evidence to substantiate his claim?

I am not arguing against legalising cannabis, or any other recreational drug. But people need to be aware that using any drug for recreational purposes has risks. No drug is harmless.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Real pot heads... like Oliver Sacks, Stephen Gould, Bill Gates, Kerry Mullins, Steve Jobs, Margret Mead, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Francis Crick... etc... etc... etc... 555555555!!

And, please do mention the mental illness and impaired learning. Many more are saved from those afflictions than succumb to it.

Don't forget Michael Phelps. God what a lazy stoner he was.

• Like 1

Yes- but the medicinal oil etc - does not contain THC - does not get you high- and has proved effective in treating epilepsy etc. 

Anyone else experienced real pot heads - who are seemingly incapable of stringing two comprehensible words together ( and used to a while back call you ‘man ‘ all the time. 

Of course we do not dare to mention well documented increase of mental illness and impaired learning amongst young teenagers ? 

Agreed, medical has no thc, however, those who use oil from the whole plant choose a ratio between cbd and thc and the ratio is different for every cancer. When the ratio is correct the results are best and there is no high.

If one smokes cannabis you will ingest large amounts of thc and virtually no cbds.
See, it’s about ratios.

The best step forward would be to invest in Gov funded, unbiased research into the medical use of cannabis - no patents!

Not a chance, follow the money!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, laislica said:

<snip>

Interesting that your quote only says research has shown.....
Where are the actual studies?

I linked to a general advice leaflet.

But if you want scholarly articles, there are plenty; all you have to do is type 'cannabis and mental illness' into the search engine of your choice.

For example, from The Lancet: Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review which looked at many studies.

Summary

Background

Whether cannabis can cause psychotic or affective symptoms that persist beyond transient intoxication is unclear. We systematically reviewed the evidence pertaining to cannabis use and occurrence of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes...…….

Interpretation

The evidence is consistent with the view that cannabis increases risk of psychotic outcomes independently of confounding and transient intoxication effects, although evidence for affective outcomes is less strong. The uncertainty about whether cannabis causes psychosis is unlikely to be resolved by further longitudinal studies such as those reviewed here. However, we conclude that there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that using cannabis could increase their risk of developing a psychotic illness later in life.

I am reminded of the history of smoking tobacco and cancer.

For many years the risk was at best ignored. Then it was accepted that it could cause cancer, now it is known that it does.

Of course, not all tobacco smokers get cancer, or other smoking related diseases, and not all cannabis users suffer from mental illness. But just as it is foolish to ignore the link between tobacco and cancer, it is foolish to ignore the link between cannabis and mental illness.

Trying to convince others the link does not exists is not just foolish; in my opinion it is criminally irresponsible!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Denim said:

So many governments apparently getting it so wrong for so long.

Too late for me. With high blood pressure to deal with won't be smoking anything at all ever again.

I don't think you have to smoke it, you can make Tea also. But I might be wrong..

9 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wonder why this suddenly seems such an urgent issue to deal with?

This is potentially a multi-billion industry and Thailand has historically produced some of the world's best grade marijuana.  So, the longer they wait to allow cultivation and export, the more market share they lose. 
As the old saying goes: "Follow the money!"

• Like 1

I am sure the only reason any of this is being considered is not for the benefit of the Thai people, although they will benefit almost by accident. I am sure the real reason is some very powerful people realize exporting Thai sticks and Thai weed will be more profitable than rubber, shrimp or rice. Their concern for their citizens just happens to coincide with the legalization in Canada and the States. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I can see already a huge black market developing not for “medical use”

So maybe the bulk of the profits can go to the government and/or medical community, rather than to criminal outfits as is the case now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

But if you want scholarly articles, there are plenty; all you have to do is type 'cannabis and mental illness' into the search engine of your choice.

For example, from The Lancet: Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: a systematic review which looked at many studies.

For many years the risk was at best ignored. Then it was accepted that it could cause cancer, now it is known that it does.

Of course, not all tobacco smokers get cancer, or other smoking related diseases, and not all cannabis users suffer from mental illness. But just as it is foolish to ignore the link between tobacco and cancer, it is foolish to ignore the link between cannabis and mental illness.

Trying to convince others the link does not exists is not just foolish; in my opinion it is criminally irresponsible!

As to bias:

The producer of the videos in the link was motivated by personal experience of cancer in his family.

He lost his wife - cannabis could not save her.....

If you have the time I hope you are able to watch the videos on the next free screening.

I don't disagree with you in general.

However, heroin is an opioid and cannabis is not so perhaps should not be uses as a comparison.

that
I am not trying to convince others there is no link between cannabis and mental illness.

As I said in a previous post, it's about ratios of THC/CBD.

Clearly, THC is only created when the cannabis is heated to a particular temperature (smoked).

To only take a disproportionately high amount of THC, a single compound, doesn't seem to be balanced and perhaps can very well  lead to the problems you outlined.

By the same token, a single CBD compound will also not be balanced and who knows what problems that could lead to.

For a really good tonic, I read that it is possible to juice the whole plant and drink it.

No THC, no high.

Proper, unbiased research is needed.

Any research / studies that have been done have been by Pharma funded bodies.

Their brief seems to be to find a compound that is beneficial and patentable profitable.

Never mind side effects and definitely don't want a cure.

Best if they can find something that eases the symptoms and delays death for many years -

of course, only as long as you continue to buy their product?

Perhaps Vitamin C is also not researched because it seems to Cure diseases and cannot be patented?

There is a fascinating Online Book which is well worth a read:
https://vitamincfoundation.org/stone/

This book is almost 50 years old (1972) and it points out that in the 30-40 years since vitamin C was discovered, little or no research has been done.

It does site many of the studies that were done and it points out why their criteria were incorrectly set and so the results did not show much if any benefit.

The dosage used was too small in many studies.

Much like antibiotics, unless given in high doses, they will be be totally ineffectual in killing bacteria, but, they may have other undesirable side effects in low dosages. (Though a low dose of vitamin C is actually something that keeps us alive - see part 1 in the book).

Follow the money.

This PDF sites many studies:

The therapeutic potential of cannabis.pdf

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I agree,I smoked weed when younger and it just didn't agree with me, every body has a different reaction to different drugs ,if I may use that term ,for me it was acute paranoia.