Heavy rains forecast until Monday

rooster59

Heavy rains forecast until Monday

By The Nation

7ebacffa516e94127d021a66a704c6e4.jpeg

Heavy rains are predicted in many provinces in the lower North, Central, East and South, including Bangkok, as a depression over the Gulf of Thailand is expected to land on Prachuap Khiri Khan on Saturday, the Meteorological Department said.

In its second warning related to the latest tropical depression issued at 5am on Saturday, the department said the depression over the Gulf of Thailand is due at latitude 9.0 degrees North, longitude 104.0 degrees East, with maximum sustained winds of about 30 knots.

It said the storm is moving west-northwest at speed of 10 kilometres per hour.

The affected areas are:

On Saturday:

Central: Nakhon Sawan Chai Nat Uthai Thani Sing Buri Ang Thong Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram and Samut Sakhon, including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South: Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, Ranong and Phangnga.

On Sunday and Monday:

North: Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Sukhothai, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Phetchabun and Tak

Central: Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram and Samut Sakhon, including Bangkok and its vicinity.

East: Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

South:Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chumphon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356826

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-20

And remains rainy throughout most of the western regions of the country.

Not terribly unusual to be receiving heavy amounts this late in October. 

I recall the season extending into Loy Kratong. 

There's not such thing as "scheduled" seasons any longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

It's about time. The hot spell is unusually long this year.

Most of my grass have died from thirst.

The long dry spells.

Dependent on locale. 

Most of the country west and south of the plateau have enjoyed a long and wet rainy season.

Isaan?

Phenomenal thunderstorms where I am in Prachinburi today. Epic amounts of water came down in a short time and lightening struck near the house sending a power surge through that knocked out the main breaker and who knows what else (remains to be seen). Close to flooding here and I can't pump water out due to no electricity..
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Phenomenal thunderstorms where I am in Prachinburi today. Epic amounts of water came down in a short time and lightening struck near the house sending a power surge through that knocked out the main breaker and who knows what else (remains to be seen). Close to flooding here and I can't pump water out due to no electricity..
emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

we had a close lightning strike last year which took out our satellite system and our expensive tv, presume a spike went down the neutral  as everything was powered off. the advice to disconnect everything is true. when you see a lightning strike and the boom is the same time tells you it's close, the speed of sound is 1238 km/h or 770 mph at sea level.

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

we had a close lightning strike last year which took out our satellite system and our expensive tv, presume a spike went down the neutral  as everything was powered off. the advice to disconnect everything is true. when you see a lightning strike and the boom is the same time tells you it's close, the speed of sound is 1238 km/h or 770 mph at sea level.

Wasn't there a way to sound the seconds between the lightning and thunder to determine how far away the storm is ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

If it took out the satellite system and the TV it probably hit either the dish or the underground buried cable from the dish.

Search it on google, buried cables are prone to lightning strikes.

I had a lightning strike a few years ago, well I was hit 4 times in less than a year with each time minor damage, but the last one took out 2 tv's - a marantz amplifier - 3 tv boxes - router and cable modem and I'm still in doubt about the third tv that died less than 2 weeks later.

Turned out that BTV, I had internet over the cable from BTV, had tied their coaxial cable together with the steel grounding cable that ran down from the lightning arrester on top of the pole that holds my transformer.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fanjita said:

It was about 24 to 25.  Sorry to rain on your parade.

Yeah the met office are liars. Get a grip. You ridiculously exaggerated and was called out. 

Was it torrential rain and hailstones?

Edited by Kadilo

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

If it took out the satellite system and the TV it probably hit either the dish or the underground buried cable from the dish.

Search it on google, buried cables are prone to lightning strikes.

I had a lightning strike a few years ago, well I was hit 4 times in less than a year with each time minor damage, but the last one took out 2 tv's - a marantz amplifier - 3 tv boxes - router and cable modem and I'm still in doubt about the third tv that died less than 2 weeks later.

Turned out that BTV, I had internet over the cable from BTV, had tied their coaxial cable together with the steel grounding cable that ran down from the lightning arrester on top of the pole that holds my transformer.

I disconnect the tv & computer -router as a friend had a 14 month old 50 inch Samsung which had a vertical line middle of the screen , caused by a surge in a storm . Samsung did not want to know , however they brought out a new model with a surge protection a few months later .

My neighbour had a lightening hit last year and had to have the whole house rewired . It seems that some of the earthing here leaves a lot to be desired .  Some of the deafening bangs that come at the same time as the lightening are scary but I still enjoy , especially if having a beer . 

7 hours ago, fanjita said:
7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah the met office are liars. Get a grip. You ridiculously exaggerated and was called out. 

Calm down.  It was very hot here in SE UK today and certainly wasn't 18.

Without wanting to get involved in this argument, I put my money on the member wwho was physically in the UK.

Were you in the UK Kadilo?

I just returned from a 2 week trip to Belgium, and according to the weather reports/forecasts in Belgium we had 3 days of rain during my stay, fortunately I didn't see a drip of rain during those days.

The temperature shown on the dashboard of my rental car was also every day of my stay significantly different from what i heard on the radio.

11 hours ago, how241 said:

Wasn't there a way to sound the seconds between the lightning and thunder to determine how far away the storm is ?

Yes, and it still works!

Count from flash to bang, do count slowly though (seconds), as in '21 ... 22 ... 23 ...' then divide by 3 - gives you approx distance in km.

The strike that did the damage at my place, sound and flash were simultaneous, or so close to it than could not count anything between them. I don't think it hit the house itself but it sounded like it was somewhere immediately behind the house.

I have a Leonics surge protector between  where the main power comes in and the circuit board. Over the years I have had to replace it twice, both times the insides were utterly melted from repeated surges.  Amazingly it is still OK after yesterday's surge and all appliances seem to have come through unscathed as did the in-house wiring as far as I an tell (knock on wood).  Damage was to initial breaker outside the house (prior to the surge protector location) and main outside wire leading to it.

They're costly but worth having IMO if you live in an area with frequent storms like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, superal said:

.....My neighbour had a lightening hit last year and had to have the whole house rewired . It seems that some of the earthing here leaves a lot to be desired .  Some of the deafening bangs that come at the same time as the lightening are scary but I still enjoy , especially if having a beer . 

Actually the norm here is often no earthing at all.

I had to have it specially installed after the fact and had trouble persuading local electricians that it was necessary. ????

The "mai pen rai" philosophy, so charming in many other contexts, unfortunately extends to electrical work....

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Without wanting to get involved in this argument, I put my money on the member wwho was physically in the UK.

Were you in the UK Kadilo?

I just returned from a 2 week trip to Belgium, and according to the weather reports/forecasts in Belgium we had 3 days of rain during my stay, fortunately I didn't see a drip of rain during those days.

The temperature shown on the dashboard of my rental car was also every day of my stay significantly different from what i heard on the radio.

Yes I am. Also in the hottest part of the County and it was 18. 

Anyway.........enough said, back to Thailand and it’s rain.