Hua Hin Immigration - Pension Verification -( No Alternative!)

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Seems like a coordinated and highly opportunistic immigration scam to enable banks get the foreign exchange with the 800k bank account requirement.

Agree, the ATM fees here are already crazy high. If it were up to the banks all money would need to be seeded in their banks before a visa was issued.

I am thinking of getting a retirement visa for Colombia next year and the requirements are very easy. Proof of SS income and a private pensions is all that is needed. You can get a letter from SS directly. Or your pension plan directly.

This new 800K bank seeding is a scam IMO. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, garyk said:

Wow, if that is true that is insane! I am from the states but that is not right in any sense or shape!

That is a rip off to the nth degree!

Well, we have to wait to see how this shakes out. You want a ripoff? Think about having to provide the bank documentation of having the funds ... and still having to provide a letter from the Embassy at a cost of $50.00. Why the need to pay for a letter supporting the Thai bank documentation?

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Well, we have to wait to see how this shakes out. You want a ripoff? Think about having to provide the bank documentation of having the funds ... and still having to provide a letter from the Embassy at a cost of $50.00. Why the need to pay for a letter supporting the Thai bank documentation?

Hopefully the Thai government will step in, and stop this act of piracy. If the Thai government lets this go to the extreme. Then I think we all can assume it will eventually be the case for all expats in Thailand.

Interesting to see how this plays out?

27 minutes ago, henry15 said:

Has notthing to do with the Thai government. You should blame te Brittisch government

Has nothing to do with the British government! Its the Thai government that have insisted that proof of income must be verified by the the British consulate. Which is totally impossible for them to do.

7 hours ago, garyk said:

Agree, the ATM fees here are already crazy high. If it were up to the banks all money would need to be seeded in their banks before a visa was issued.

I am thinking of getting a retirement visa for Colombia next year and the requirements are very easy. Proof of SS income and a private pensions is all that is needed. You can get a letter from SS directly. Or your pension plan directly.

The problem is thst Americans here do not prove they have funds. Nothing wrong with having 800k in the bank here. You can spend it after you have made your visa then top it up again.. If you dont have the funds then Hasta la Vista! 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, henry15 said:

Has notthing to do with the Thai government. You should blame te Brittisch government

The British Embassy required proof of income before they would issue the income letter, in the form of pension documents, and where applicable, agent's rental statements for at least 3 months.  Now Thai immigration expect them to contact all the people involved in the UK to verify that the figures included on those documents are correct.  This would be a major task and almost impossible to achieve, particularly when the income providers do not reply promptly, if at all.

Basically, Thai Immigration are saying that they do not have trust in the British Embassy to ensure that the documents presented as proof of income appear to be genuine.  This attitude from one of the most corrupt countries in the world is a joke.   

Perhaps it is just a ploy to get more cash into the country as a lump sum plus monthly income from abroad on which the expat needs to live on?  After all, if the 800000 has to be on deposit for at least 3 months prior to the annual extension, it can hardly be used as cash to pay monthly expenses as well.

8 hours ago, garyk said:

What new 800k bank seeding are you talking about,

Its been there for years and years..........most countries

comply with the regulations.........it’s not a problem

Let's face it....if you cannot afford to put 400K in a bank here for 2 months maybe you should be planning to move back to the UK. This isn't a value judgement on my part as I might not have 400K to sit in a bank account, but the signs are on the wall and it will get tougher, not easier, to get a visa. I have many friends who use agents and pay large fees for the 'service'. I cannot imagine that this agents will be left to pursue business as usual with the customary tip to IOs who issue a visa stamp in consideration of a large 'tip'. Also there is talk of requiring medical insurance which is very expensive and will take a huge bite out of a 40K per month pension.

I get the feeling that those without money are not really wanted in Thailand. They want retirees to have adequate financial resources. I think it is best to plan ahead and have an 'escape' route mapped out ahead of time. There is nothing worse than to be told to get out of the country 'tomorrow' or in 2 days time, much better to have a plan already.

• Thanks 1

Let's face it....if you cannot afford to put 400K in a bank here for 2 months maybe you should be planning to move back to the UK. This isn't a value judgement on my part as I might not have 400K to sit in a bank account, but the signs are on the wall and it will get tougher, not easier, to get a visa. I have many friends who use agents and pay large fees for the 'service'. I cannot imagine that this agents will be left to pursue business as usual with the customary tip to IOs who issue a visa stamp in consideration of a large 'tip'. Also there is talk of requiring medical insurance which is very expensive and will take a huge bite out of a 40K per month pension.
I get the feeling that those without money are not really wanted in Thailand. They want retirees to have adequate financial resources. I think it is best to plan ahead and have an 'escape' route mapped out ahead of time. There is nothing worse than to be told to get out of the country 'tomorrow' or in 2 days time, much better to have a plan already.
It's 800,000 baht not 400,000.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are already two ongoing topics on this forum about the income letters from the UK embassy. Please post on one of those if you want to discuss it.

If not then this topic will soon be closed.

Now :mfr_closed1:

Move the discussion to one of these topics.