British family's heartbreaking plea to get body home after father-of-five dies in Thailand

webfact

Family's heartbreaking plea to get body home after Exeter father-of-five dies in Thailand

"Everyone loved him, he was such a joker and would always take life with a pinch of salt."

By Abbie Bray

Kevin.jpg

Kevin pictured with his children

The family of an Exeter dad who tragically took his own life in Thailand are trying to raise money to bring his body home so they can say their final goodbyes.

Father-of-five Kevin Rowlands, who had a history of mental health, took his own life on Monday while on a fishing holiday in Thailand with friends.

The 36-year-old's sister, Lisa Rowlands said the whole family are still in complete shock, but they have been given four days to raise the funds to bring his body back to the UK.

Full story: https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/familys-heartbreaking-plea-body-home-2146153

-- DEVON LIVE 2018-10-26

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Those who call him selfish know nothing about depression.

Well that's going to be nearly everyone, so don't be surprised that a very large proportion of people think it's very selfish.

I think it was a very selfish thing to do, and no, I have no idea about it.

If someone I know kills themselves I won't even bother to go to the funeral.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Very sorry this happened and what a selfish thing to do, in a right frame of mind,  to his fishing friends and his family back home but disturbed people do very disturbing things. As previous poster say's cremation and farewells back home. Hope he finds some peace but his family and friends won't for a very long time.

I am always amazed by how uniformed posters call suicides 'selfish.'  They are in pain, and feel the only way to relieve it is by killing themselves.  Try it. It takes huge balls to do what he did.  Try it.  See how 'selfish' you think it is. 

Edited by JimP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I agree about having him cremated here then send the ashes for a service,it costs a fortune to repatriate a corpse & a lot of airlines will not do it,I was on a flight back to UK & a woman next to me seemed to be talking to herself,I thought she was doolally, she must of realised what I was thinking & the way I was looking at her,then she showed me an urn with her dad's ashes in,mind you I still thought she was doolally talking to an urn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well that's going to be nearly everyone, so don't be surprised that a very large proportion of people think it's very selfish.

I think it was a very selfish thing to do, and no, I have no idea about it.

If someone I know kills themselves I won't even bother to go to the funeral.

Well you certainly chose the right signature.

• Haha 1