Gen Prawit: Election campaigns not yet allowed

webfact

Gen Prawit: Election campaigns not yet allowed

PNPOL611028001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 29th October 2018 (NNT) – Despite the relaxation of some political restrictions, election campaigns are still illegal, according Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan. 

Gen Prawit, who is also the Minister of Defense, says everything is progressing according to the election roadmap as parties are now allowed to carry out activities related to party formation, recruitment of new party members, and other preparatory undertakings. 

With that said, Gen Prawit confirmed that election campaigns are still outlawed by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), adding that the electoral body is closely monitoring parties’ activities. 

The Minister of Defense said that the NCPO could be meeting with political parties as early as next month. However, he didn’t reveal the agenda of the upcoming meetings. 

Commenting on the growing popularity of the prime minister, Gen Prawit said the premier’s hard work and commitment are paying off. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-29
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Small Joke said:

I guess the rappers didn't get that memo. 

Best most concise campaign message Thailand ever saw. 

And banning it, or arresting them, will be pouring fuel on the fire.  

Now just sit back and watch the coming crackdowns bite them on the arse, and go global. 

So a fair and even election campaign is off the table then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this, but wasn't there a strong undertaking by the NCPO to lift the political activities ban by the end of SEPTEMBER, ie a month ago? I must have a dig amongst the old reports, around Jan & Feb, to see if I'm just dreaming. Anyone else remember yet another broken & carpet swept promise?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Commenting on the growing popularity of the prime minister, Gen Prawit said the premier’s hard work and commitment are paying off. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-29

Don't know about Prayuth's popularity, but I'm fairly sure it is ahead of Prawit's.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hard work and commitment? I think he has his words mixed up. Months and months of getting a head start by campaigning when no one else is allowed to, would have been more accurate. Cheating would also be an appropriate way of putting it.

Ah but, were there any large brown envelopes?

They must be sampling sources that I'm not aware of, as all opposition political parties [individuals and collectives] and those associated have been publicly campaigning and promoting themselves for quite some time now - with or without permission. 

Free all to speak their minds and call their punditry, opinions, and critiques.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Already grovelling for his cabinet position in the next Government! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1