Protests after Pakistan frees Christian woman sentenced to death over blasphemy

webfact

Protests after Pakistan frees Christian woman sentenced to death over blasphemy

By Asif Shahzad and Mubasher Bukhari

2018-10-31T103406Z_3_LYNXNPEE9T2HB_RTROPTP_3_PAKISTAN-RELIGION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Governor of the Punjab Province Salman Taseer is reflected as he spoke to media after meeting with Asia Bibi, a Pakistani Christian woman who has been sentenced to death for blasphemy, at a jail in Sheikhupura, located in Pakistan's Punjab Province November 20, 2010. REUTERS/Asad Karim

ISLAMABAD/LAHORE (Reuters) - Pakistan's Supreme Court on Wednesday freed a Christian woman from a death sentence for blasphemy against Islam and overturned her conviction, sparking angry protests and death threats from an ultra-Islamist party and cheers from human rights advocates.

New Prime Minister Imran Khan issued a warning to the religious right late in the evening that any prolonged blockade of streets would be met with action.

2018-10-31T113943Z_1_LYNXNPEE9U0WY_RTROPTP_4_PAKISTAN-BLASPHEMY.JPG

Supporters of the Tehrik-e-Labaik Pakistan Islamist political party block the Faizabad junction to protest after the Supreme Court overturned the conviction of a Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam, in Islamabad, Pakistan October 31, 2018. REUTERS/Faisal Mahmood

Asia Bibi, a mother of four, had been living on death row since 2010, when she became the first woman to be sentenced to death by hanging under Pakistan's draconian blasphemy laws, which critics say are too harsh and often misused.

She was condemned for allegedly making derogatory remarks about Islam after neighbours objected to her drinking water from their glass because she was not Muslim. Bibi has always denied committing blasphemy.

The case has outraged Christians worldwide - Pope Francis said he personally prayed for Bibi - and has been a source of division within Pakistan, where two politicians who sought to help Bibi were assassinated.

Chief Justice Saqib Nisar, who headed a special three-judge bench set up for the appeal, cited the Koran in the ruling, writing that "tolerance is the basic principle of Islam" and noting the religion condemns injustice and oppression.

In overturning her conviction, the ruling said the evidence against Bibi was insufficient.

Bibi did not appear in the courtroom and her whereabouts were a closely held secret for fear of attacks on her and her family. Many have speculated they will be forced to leave the country, but there was no confirmation of their plans.

Her lawyer called the court ruling "great news" for Pakistan.

"Asia Bibi has finally been served justice," lawyer Saiful Mulook told Reuters. "Pakistan's Supreme Court must be appreciated that it upheld the law of the land and didn't succumb to any pressure."

DEATH THREATS

Supporters of Islamist political party Tehreek-e-Labaik (TLP) immediately condemned Wednesday's ruling and blocked roads in major cities, pelting police with stones in the eastern city of Lahore.

Street protests and blockades of major roads were spreading by mid-afternoon, paralysing parts of Islamabad, Lahore and other cities.

One of the TLP's top leaders called for the death of Nisar, the chief justice, and the two other judges on the panel.

"They all three deserve to be killed. Either their security should kill them, their driver kill them, or their cook kill them," TLP co-founder Muhammad Afzal Qadri told a protest in Lahore.

"Whoever, who has got any access to them, kill them before the evening."

He also called for the ouster of Khan's new government of and for army officers to rise up against powerful military chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, who he said "should be sacked from the army".

Khan addressed the nation in a televised speech on Wednesday night, supporting the court ruling and warning the ultra-Islamists not to disrupt the nation.

"We will not allow any damages to occur. We will not allow traffic to be blocked," Khan said. "I appeal to you, do not push the state to the extent that it is forced to take action."

The TLP was founded out of a movement supporting a bodyguard who assassinated Punjab provincial governor Salman Taseer for advocating for Bibi in 2011. Federal minister for minorities Shahbaz Bhatti was also killed after calling for her release.

In November, TLP staged a crippling blockade of Islamabad after small changes to a religious oath taken by election candidates, which it said were tantamount to blasphemy. Seven people were killed and more than 200 wounded in clashes with the police and TLP's supporters only dispersed after striking a deal with the military.

BLASPHEMY LAW CRITICISED

In February, Bibi's husband, Ashiq Masih, and one of her daughters met Pope Francis shortly before Rome's ancient Coliseum was lit in red one evening in solidarity with persecuted Christians, and Bibi in particular.

The pope told Bibi's daughter: "I think often of your mother and I pray for her."

Christians make up only about 2 percent of Pakistan's population and are often discriminated against.

Dozens of Pakistanis - including many minority Christians or members of the Ahmadi faith - have been sentenced to death for blasphemy in the past decade, though no one has been executed.

Rights groups say the blasphemy law is exploited by religious extremists as well as ordinary Pakistanis to settle personal scores.

Additionally, at least 65 people have been murdered over blasphemy allegations since 1990, including a 23-year-old student beaten to death on his university campus last year.

"This is a landmark verdict," said Omar Waraich, deputy South Asia director for Amnesty International. "The message must go out that the blasphemy laws will no longer be used to persecute the country's most vulnerable minorities."

(Writing by Kay Johnson; Editing by Nick Macfie and Alex Richardson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-01

9 years in jail and a murder...... to be reminded : A former Punjab governor, Salman Taseer, who had defended her, was shot dead in the heart of Islamabad in 2011 by his own bodyguard. The murderer, Mumtaz Qadri, was hanged in early 2016. Human rights defenders also see her as an emblem of the excesses of the law against blasphemy in Pakistan, often instrumentalized, according to critics, to resolve personal conflicts . The judges managed to resist the pressure of the extremists. They took this judicial decision at the risk of their lives.  This filthy intolerance on the part of Islamists is a real calamity.
Asia Bibi is visited in prison by Salman Taseer in November 2010
Asia Bibi and Salman Taseer

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, candide said:

Equally depressive is that it seems there are no laws against publicly calling for murder.

Indeed, with such a stupid indictment, there were still thousands of protesters demanding her execution. In this country, religion is politics and serves the interests of some so-called "scholars" who strives to consolidate their power over ignorant crowds by keeping them away from the reality of the world .Résultat de recherche d'images pour "asia bibi" 

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "asia bibi"

The acquittal of Asia Bibi confirms two things: that in Pakistan the blasphemy law is used to resolve personal disputes and the blood of Salman Taseer, a former Muslim governor of Punjab, and Shahbaz Bhatti, a former Christian minister for minorities (both murdered because they had defended the Christian woman), was not in vain. "

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Asia-Bibi-acquitted:-a-victory-for-civil-society-45356.html 

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "Shahbaz Bhatti"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/02/pakistan-minister-shot-dead-islamabad

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Ironic that as hard-line Pakistan softens its stance on blasphemy, the European Court of Human Rights has just taken a step in the opposite direction.

Their landmark ruling against an Austrian woman who was rash enough to call out the Prophet Muhammed for having sex with a nine-year-old girl has worrying implications for free speech in the UK and Europe.

I am afraid it could be a fake news from Foxnews or why on earth Charlie Hebdo who represented Mohamed hundred of times as a pedo and more in many a horrible and totally insulting  way  had no problem ever with the European justice: https://www.google.com/search?q=Charlie+hebdo+%2B+prophete+Mohamed&rlz=1C5CHFA_enTH705TH708&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAgpbT0bLeAhVqh1QKHS-0DGsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1202&bih=661

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.12.54.png

9 hours ago, webfact said:

In overturning her conviction, the ruling said the evidence against Bibi was insufficient.

It's pretty telling what an F'd up country that place is, that they actually have this kind of law on the books. She wasn't freed (after almost 8 yrs on death row) because the charges were absolutely ridiculous (at least from the perspective of a modern, 20th/21st century perspective) but because the evidence "was insufficient".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Nope, not fake. Here's a short article from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/european-court-rejects-austrians-case-over-prophet-slur/2018/10/25/4cd0600e-d852-11e8-8384-bcc5492fef49_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8ed7e2b7375b

The reason Charlie Hebdo had no problem with the "European Court of Justice" is that they (the magazine and its staff) had already suffered retribution from some Islamic crazies. Even with such a stupid law on the books, there's no way that court could have imposed any kind of decision on C. Hebdo after staff members had been murdered by fanatics from "the religion of peace".

Thanks for the link :smile: Incredible. Do they forget in their judgement, to say having sex with six or nine years girls is not paedophilia anymore? 

• Like 2

Asia Bibi appeal complainant not even present at time of her alleged ‘blasphemy’ Asia Bibi’s final appeal against her execution in the Supreme Court of Pakistan went on for more than two hours. Below, World Watch Monitor provides details of what was said.

"Prosecution counsel Chaudhry began by suggesting a pattern of anti-Muslim rhetoric among Christians, saying: “It started in Spain [when it was ruled by Muslims] and now it is part of the Christian faith to disrespect Islam and the Holy Prophet. After this, each day one Christian youth came out who spoke disrespectful words against the Prophet and was beheaded … Asia Bibi has spoken exactly the same disrespectful wording.”

https://www.worldwatchmonitor.org/2018/10/asia-bibi-appeal-complainant-not-even-present-at-time-of-alleged-blasphemy/

Edited by Opl

31 minutes ago, candide said:

This is an erroneous interpretation based on confusion. The reason that Austrian women's case was dealt by the European Court of a Human Rights (which, by the way is not a EU institution, don't confuse the ECJ with the ECHR) is that she was first condemned by an Austrian court. Then she appealed to the ECHR and her conviction was confirmed (which I personally deplore). 

The reason why Charlie Hebdo had no problem is because it was subject to the French law and there is no way a French court would have convicted it. (Additionnally, Charlie Hebdo has been mocking all religions for years, and the Christian religion much more than the others.

Yes, thanks for the details, although a little bit of semantics in my humble opinion. I used quotations for "European Court of Justice" because I wasn't sure of the specific court's name. (Maybe it was erroneously mentioned in the previously posted Fox News video?)

Yes, I understand that the woman was originally found guilty in Austria and lost again on appeal to a higher (European as opposed to Austrian) court. However, this case ultimately comes down to a fundamental right of free speech, a right that has its foundations in Western culture (Europe/Americas) and how it has been trampled on by the, for lack of a better term, "radical left". And it's not just in Europe. On college campuses in the US and Canada, there are frequently campus orders against "micro-agressions" and establishment of "safe-spaces". It's gotten quite ridiculous and people are trying to outlaw/prevent being offended. Simply put, whatever happened to the saying we were taught as youngsters, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

22 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Yes, thanks for the details, although a little bit of semantics in my humble opinion. I used quotations for "European Court of Justice" because I wasn't sure of the specific court's name. (Maybe it was erroneously mentioned in the previously posted Fox News video?)

Yes, I understand that the woman was originally found guilty in Austria and lost again on appeal to a higher (European as opposed to Austrian) court. However, this case ultimately comes down to a fundamental right of free speech, a right that has its foundations in Western culture (Europe/Americas) and how it has been trampled on by the, for lack of a better term, "radical left". And it's not just in Europe. On college campuses in the US and Canada, there are frequently campus orders against "micro-agressions" and establishment of "safe-spaces". It's gotten quite ridiculous and people are trying to outlaw/prevent being offended. Simply put, whatever happened to the saying we were taught as youngsters, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Free speech in Europe comes with limitations, so differs from US.

• Like 1

It's nice to know that Imran Khan seems to be taking a hard stand against these Islamofascists. However, as we know from recent history, none of the various Pakistani leaders/governments has been consistent in the fight against extremism; for a variety of reasons. So, it is quite hard to feel hopeful.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Free speech in Europe comes with limitations, so differs from US.

Yes, I was/am aware of that, particularly the differences in libel laws between the US and the UK. However, this still seems to me, an abridgement of basic rights of free speech, as it does not call for acts of violence or the overthrow of a government. It is merely an offensive remark to a certain segment of the population.

Just as a hypothetical, I wonder if she had made a similar disparaging remark about Christianity if she would have suffered the same fate? (I really don't know, but suspect not.)

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I am afraid it could be a fake news from Foxnews or why on earth Charlie Hebdo who represented Mohamed hundred of times as a pedo and more in many a horrible and totally insulting  way  had no problem ever with the European justice: https://www.google.com/search?q=Charlie+hebdo+%2B+prophete+Mohamed&rlz=1C5CHFA_enTH705TH708&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAgpbT0bLeAhVqh1QKHS-0DGsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1202&bih=661

Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.12.54.png

It's not fake news. There are lots of other links to the same story, which is well authenticated both in the mainstream media and on social networks. Try Googling.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

It's not fake news. There are lots of other links to the same story, which is well authenticated both in the mainstream media and on social networks. Try Googling.

Yes I clicked the link of post 17. No fake news at all, in the statement of judgment I hope they did not forget to write that having sex with 6/9 years old girl is legit and is not paedophilia anymore, because it was only for telling that this lady was condemned!