rooster59

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

bs, just the 3 past year when i was away they learned a lot of english,

before i had to converse in thai, there was no way around that,

but now almost everyone speak passable english

Jeez, hope you're not an english teacher

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Often I do not really understand all the focus on Thais and lack of command of English.

It is worth remembering that most people on the planet get by without speaking English.

Same applies to countries, the number of countries where English is not spoken is very very high,

and they get by.

• Sad 1

I taught in one of the largest private schools in the Bangkok region, at that stage they had 67 Foreign teachers and I have to say that the majority of the kids in the English program had reasonable English, however when it came down to exams I was told I couldn't fail anyone, well of course there were a few students who shall we say, were mentally challenged and had no hope of passing any test, so I asked what I was expected to do, and the reply "just get them to make you a coffee or something and give them a half score".

Moving on, my grandson is in a private catholic school attending the English Programme, this was fine up until Asean, the Foreign teachers (English, Australian and American) have all been let go, and have been replaced by Philli's, nice people but the ones I have met have woeful English skills. I could dam near write a book on the sad state of affairs regarding Education at this particular school, the academic level has dropped drastically, but the fees have remained the same. However this particular school cannot keep its staff, so they are now looking for anyone to teach and they will pay same as the philli's per year and no holiday pay. Now a qualified teacher does a fair time at Uni to gain his Bachelors or Masters degree, he is a native English speaker (I'm not talking about back packers or people who buy fake degrees) in a decent school they would be earning at least 60,000 per month, some a lot more, I have one friend earning 140,000 per month and that's as it should be, you get what you pay for.

In the area I live in, there is only one other private school with an excellent reputation, quite a way out of town, so we were thinking to move to the new school only to be told that they too have replaced all the native English speaking teachers with Philly's.

It's all about saving money, and while that mentality prevails there will be no progress at all.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be honest, I didn't think it was possible for it to get worse. Of all the places I have been, Thailand is the worst for ability to speak English even remotely well. Many years ago I tried to set up an office here and closed it after a year due to inability to recruit even a single individual who had the proficiency I was after, and I was offering 50K a month basic. Until such time as those doing the teaching can actually speak the language, given that most Thai English teachers simply cannot, it is difficult to see the situation improving either.

Until more English language teachers are required to get TEFL certificate as a requirement to teach English the situation in Thailand is unlikely to change.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

I would be interested to see the results if the "English Speaking" countries were included. Looking at the abuse of the language by people who are supposed to have learned English as a native language it could be very revealing.

Are you talking about Bradford or Barnsley ? :giggle:

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Often I do not really understand all the focus on Thais and lack of command of English.

It is worth remembering that most people on the planet get by without speaking English.

Same applies to countries, the number of countries where English is not spoken is very very high,

and they get by.

It is that mentality that keeps a countries population from advancing and getting out of the third world economic situation. Just because there are stupid people in the world is no reason to not get educated.

Just now, Kurtf said:

It is that mentality that keeps a countries population from advancing and getting out of the third world economic situation. Just because there are stupid people in the world is no reason to not get educated.

I understand and agree with that,

but there are a lot of useful things, apart from English, that one could learn.

25 minutes ago, robsamui said:

There are 18 people in the company I work for - five farangs and 13 Thais. The shortest time anyone has been with the company is four years. Six of the Thai staff have been with us more than 15 years. And yet every Christmas party, the Thais all separate out and sit in a group together, away from us farangs. I can only imagine this is instinctive and thus happens everywhere to a greater or lesser degree.

Doesn't happen in my company. Do the Thais separate or the farangs? How many farangs speak Thai?

Well there is probably no impetus from the top who want to become the hub of this & that in the S.E. region. If they were really interested in English the man at the top would show his proficiency but he is always exhibiting the opposite. In fact the same may be said of other topics because it is always Thailand...Thailand. I found, several years ago, that Thai students knew a lot about Thai history and Thai dance but little about the history of other countries. The man at the top is always 'pushing' that Thai Culture must be taught regardless. With technology continually progressing and expanding foreign university curriculum is always having to update on the difficult topics. Culture has to be taught by other institutions but in Thailand it's a national necessity...at the expense of English etc. The whole Thai system would need a complete 'turn around' but I don't think that is going to happen.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Very sad when bar girls are more proficient in English than local English teachers. Maybe Thai English teachers should spend more time in bars to improve their English!

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. A very sensible and practical idea, if wages were similar.

But now that all foreign teachers need degrees and TEFL certificates the problem is as good as solved.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason that Thai people cannot understand people from English speaking countries is that these "English speakers" cannot speak correct English. Try understanding what many people from parts of the U.K. are saying.    

• Haha 1

May be employing people that can TEACH and talk English might be a help, like from England, Australia, USA etc. A good Aussie friend of mine is a teacher in a school near here the school also employs 3 others from non speaking English countries he says very hard to understand what the talk about.

Also paying a decent wage may attract teachers from English speaking countries.

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

Creating English curriculum without asking the NES right there in their schools, is typical of Thai department heads here. The attitude of 'I can't lose face' means that they would rather get it wrong than ask for help from someone that speaks the language. It is purely a box ticking exercise here and everything and I mean everything, is all show and absolutely no substance.

In my Uni, there are incorrectly displayed documents and posters in incorrect English all over the place. When you mention it, you are seen as a trouble maker! Wow!

When they ask me is everything OK, I just tell them 'Yes.' That's all they want to hear and to say anything else, is as I said before, creating trouble for yourself.

It is all a shambles.

Staying in a hotel here I rewrote their rules and regulations into more legible English. I showed it to the manger and she thanked me. But it was never redone as they considered it unimportant. And they wonder why English speakers do wrong things in their establishments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Wow, behind Ethiopia! 

What can I say. I have taught them as best I could. With corruption in schools and above and paying low wages and hiring backpackers, what did they expect/

Not just the staff it's the method. They will never learn to speak if they do not speak. Learning grammar from a book, which is mostly all School kids seems to do will never get anywhere apart from being able to read signs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, changside said:

Did it ever occur to you that the reason that Thai people cannot understand people from English speaking countries is that these "English speakers" cannot speak correct English. Try understanding what many people from parts of the U.K. are saying.    

bargirls are pretty good at that

scouse macker the patter geordie .- nee problem

Its always been bad mate

" Whats your name"? "Im fine thanks"

walk into Mc Donalds and just Try to order a Big Mac just blank looks

Go into any Local Gov building and they have Zero English

Go into any office, Garage and they cringe at the sight of a Farang  " you do it, you see him all trying to hide in the Loo

Bad Bad and Thailand could never be part of this ASEAN crap, no official papers in English at all

Have a good day Thailand

Edited by alzack
  • Like 1