Please come back! Thais scurry to woo back Chinese tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

...and whoever spread news on social media damaging the image of the country with reports like this:

"Minivan operators appeal to Pattaya mayor to lobby PM against new safety rules"

will be indicted for causing panic among the (Chinese) public, and being a thread to national security, and finally be banned for life entering the country.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to let the tour operators employ their own guides here in Thailand if you really want them back. The tourists will go where the tours operate to. Make things easier for the tour operators or they will set up shop in Cambodia, Vietnam, and other cheap destination in the region. The Chinese are not interested in the bars and Go-gos. Just nice hotels, temples, shopping, and all you can eat shrimp buffets. Once the tour operators are set up in other countries it will be hard to get the Chinese back to Thailand.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

I remember a couple of years back stating that Thai tourism was heading for a fall , citing Spain as an example.

Poor service , failure to upgrade infrastructure , lack of long term planning and sheer greed is a recipe for disaster.

At the time my views were dismissed as ' Thai bashing ' , they are looking pretty accurate now.

So true!  After being a massive fan of Phuket for decades, and visiting very soon after the 2004 Tsunami, I remember discussing with friends there (Thai and Farang) that awful as the Tsunami was, they had an opportunity to rebuild and learn lessons from the past.

And what have we ended up with?  A Thai version of Benidorm! ????

Sadly, the same process is underway in Sihanoukville, in Cambodia.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, Farrows3399 said:

Are there any factual examples on accurate decline in numbers of Chinese visitors. Like in Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Bangkok? 

As even TAT say that Chinese tourist numbers are down 10 to 15% since the boat disaster, you can be sure that the true figures are at least that.  I cannot really see why Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Bangkok would be much different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thailand could always try safety as a tactic.

You know the sort of thing, enforcing safe in boats by having enough life saving equipment on board and not overloading the boat. Ensuring that the boat is rigorously maintained and  inspected every 6 months, ensuring that the crews are properly trained. Not ignoring storm warnings.

The same sort of thing could be applied to the tourist (and normal) buses as well.

They could make sure that the trash is cleared up and that Thailand is clean and tidy for visitors.

Cut corruption etc.

Silly little things like that.

All good points, and I add there needs to be leader who is well respected who fairly quickly pushes and encourages and achieves changes in attitudes. 

The Phuket boat tragedy several months ago. 49 people died, but there was little evidence that any Thai officials, tour operators, the public at large really cared about the large loss of life, the impact on families etc.

I've been watching for some serious action to change safety procedures, serious processes in place to continuously check seaworthiness, maintenance, on-board safety equipment, vessels need clearance (repairs, maintenance up to date and storm warnings etc.)  for every trip before they go to sea, etc., etc.

Seems like there's been lots of talk and lots of comments from officials who have no professional knowledge or experience in these subjects.

But what serious & permanent actions have happened?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Thailand needs to check China's economic situation. While there will always be a need for zero dollar tours, the Chinese are tapped out and the economic party based on a massively insane real estate bubble is about to pop. If Thailand were wise it would start to create measures to encourage people with limited but adequate means to retire here. The Chinese are a flash in the pan.

The only difference is that Thailand treated the one billion potential tourists like every other nationality that comes and goes thru here, horribly. The boat incident just laid bare to the Chinese how much mafia is #1 and tourists # whatever. Anyone been seriously prosecuted?? So now they know what we all know. We accept the risks as expats - one week tourists have options.

• Like 1