Bangkok Bank Offering a Mastercard "Debit" Card Beginning 5 Nov 18

16 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

I'm just fine with the Union Pay card.  But then I don't tend to follow the bleating herds.

Try using it for any online purchases, or flights. and then try to use it on a different continent etc ????

• Thanks 2

I went to my Bangkok Bank branch this morning and got the new Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard. I showed my passport and an existing saving account passbook, set a new pin and that was it. I cut the old UnionPay and de-activated it also at the same time. It was a very easy process. The new Mastercard has a 300 baht annual fee, I believe the old UnionPay card was a 200 baht annual fee. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

I also exchanged my Union Pay debit card for the new M/C debit card.

Tried to use it twice yesterday at two vendors. ..one fir a suitcase abd the other a computer part.

Both times failed! Useless!

Vendors say communication problem!

Waste of B400 (exchange fee plus annual fee)

Akso not able to purchase airasia ticket online under Payment. ...Credit/debit card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I also exchanged my Union Pay debit card for the new M/C debit card.

Tried to use it twice yesterday at two vendors. ..one fir a suitcase abd the other a computer part.

Both times failed! Useless!

Vendors say communication problem!

Waste of B400 (exchange fee plus annual fee)

Akso not able to purchase airasia ticket online under Payment. ...Credit/debit card.

My new SCB Mastercard debit card is also unreliable. Must be the new system with 6 digit PIN.

Like I've said before, I have linked my Bangkok Bank Visa secured creditcard to directly debit cash from my savings account. Just select "savings" on the ATM screen and it's free. I don't need a Bangkok Bank ATM card anymore. May be I will cancel it and save 200-300B.

Edited by Thailand J

Today I was at the my Bankgok Bank branch which is the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.  Tons of farangs use this branch....many Bangkok Bank reps at the branch speak English also.  Didn't go there to swap out my Visa debit card for a Mastercard card, but another issue.

However, I did ask the Information Desk in the main lobby when would my Visa Be1st Smart chipped debit card actually stop working.   But before asking that question I asked the rep, Do you speak English?  Answer was Yes and indeed she spoke English very well.

I asked would my Be1st Visa Smart debit card stop working in Dec 2021 which is the expiration date on my card, OR in sometime in 2019 like below Bangkok Bank webpage states. 

The rep immediately responded Dec 21 and the webpage just applied to the Visa debit card (i.e., old magnetic strip only card) and she then showed my a physical example of the old style card which I said yes I know what they look like....had one for many years.   

And then I said, "Your webpage says "all" Visa debit cards, chipped or non-chipped expire in 2019."  Still not believing me she then pulled up the webpage (the Thai and English language versions) and saw what I said was true.  She then called "Marketing" and talked a few minutes with them as to when the Visa debit cards actually die....sometime in 2019 like their webpage states or the card expiration date.    

The answer from Marketing "maybe" they will die in 2019....apparently still has not been decided.  The rep was too pleased with that answer either but it all she could get.

The rep said the ATM would start giving me notice around a month before it actually dies.  I said that's fine if I'm in Thailand but what if I'm outside of Thailand....like back in the home country for a year or two and still need to access my money in Bangkok Bank...I probably will not get any ATM notice on non-Bangkok Bank ATMs and I just couldn't fly back quickly to get the card replaced.

The rep then said its probably best to play it safe and get a Mastercard now....and she said I could get a UnionPay card if desired.  I said, Nope, I do not want a UnionPay card....I'll get a Mastercard.  She said just bring my passbook and passport to get a Mastercard debit card.   I probably do that next month...didn't have time today to do it.

So even at the number one Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand in the HQ Bangkok Bank building a person can't get an "for sure/definite" answer as to when the Visa debit cards (chipped or non-chipped) will stop working....could be "sometime in 2019"...could be the expiration date on your card.   TiT.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

image.png.f25e155528d51dca925290edcb5cb07e.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

The answer from Marketing "maybe" they will die in 2019....apparently still has not been decided.  The rep was too pleased with that answer either but it all she could get.

My wife and I attended our local Bangkok Bank branch yesterday to enquire whether the Be1st card needs to be changed and it was an empathic no and perfectly good until its expiry date of 01/23.  She did mention UnionPay and after the convulsions and nausea had subsided we took her at her word.  

I'm not going to get too excited at this juncture and will just roll with it.  Ultimately, it won't be too much hassle to change the card if she's wrong.  TiT. 

• Like 1

Went to our local branch today and spoke about the new card.

We got my wifes' card linked to a new Mastercard and 'finally 'got rid of that UnionPay crap they tried to tie us with. Will have the new card in about 5 days with her name embossed on it.

Managed also to get a Rabbit Card linked to the same account so we have access to the BTS when we head off to Bangkok next year. Pretty happy with the service. They told us we can load the Rabbit Card at any McDolands, so that was a plus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Speaking of Rabbit functionality apparently the Mastercard does not come with it....only the Visa and UnionPay card come with Rabbit included.   

Hence why we got another card linked to the same account so we could use the functionality of the Rabbit. It is a shame the Mastercard did not have the Rabbit function. A good way of gaining another 599 a year off you but the Rabbit card does come handy. I don't have Burger King often (maybe once a year) but last time I got a 30% discount off a package using the card. My wife said there is always some sort of promotion going on all the time with certain vendors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 3:27 AM, Shaunduhpostman said:

My BKK Bank card says it is good till Aug 2019. Sounds like people are saying they are switching the cards off Jan. 1 2019. Really? Doesn't seem right, but TIT. Anyone heard from their bank?

Bank of Thailand says that you need to change from Magnetic Stripe Debit Card to a Chip Debit Card by 31st December 2019.

• 2 months later...

So, for those who have switched to the BBL Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard can you share any experiences?

Any issues using it locally at other banks' ATMs?

Do merchants require the PIN when using for local purchases?

Have you been able to use it outside of Thailand consistently?

HAve you used it for online purchases? In Thailand? Elsewhere?

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So, for those who have switched to the BBL Be1st Smart TPN Mastercard can you share any experiences?

Any issues using it locally at other banks' ATMs?

Do merchants require the PIN when using for local purchases?

Have you been able to use it outside of Thailand consistently?

HAve you used it for online purchases? In Thailand? Elsewhere?

Yes I got this card and used it in Singapore Hong Kong and Vietnam both at the ATM and hotel bill and transportation payments.

No problems. ..and I don't recall putting in my pin number but pay have for larger purchases. Singapore just waved the card past the reader!

Bit of a worry if you lose it!

My name isn't printed on the card so no cross reference with my passport!

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 11:37 AM, CALSinCM said:

I'm just fine with the Union Pay card.  But then I don't tend to follow the bleating herds.

In my experience -

cannot use the Union Pay card to pay at LOTUS

or with most Airlines not even the Domestic Thailand ones,

not can pay at most Hotel room agencies online

or most Hotels in TH at the counter or as a security

- and that is where I would need a working card!

I not much on this Forum now, so overlooked that thread and was surprised to get offered a MASTER Card some days ago in my local Bangkok Bank outlet in a Lotus shopping center when I wanted a replacement ATM card ???? 

Short after they stopped issuing Visa Debit cards at Bangkok Bank -

I forgot my card in the ATM, I have a tendency to do that ????

After some month without a Debit card - I was offered to my surprise a Visa Debit card in a remote Amphoe in the North of Thailand -

but since then - I used wrong codes to often and  that card was also eaten by an ATM.

I got it back after spending the night near the ATM machine in the car????

and she was still in Internet usable - but the card itself was not usable anymore at ATM or possibly also not to pay something at a counter. ????

Edited by ALFREDO

On 11/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, orchidfan said:

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but what are the benefits (especially travelling overseas) of exchanging my current Be 1st Union Pay,  chipped, Debit card for the MC chipped Debit card?

Can the new MC debit card be used to say pay an overseas hotel bill or shopping or buy an airline ticket?

Many thanks

Yes - can be used Visa and Master Debit card but most places not the Union Pay 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, ALFREDO said:

Yes - can be used Visa and Master Debit card but most places not the Union Pay 

Forgive my misunderstanding, but isn't it a bit more dangerous using a debit card like this rather than a credit card? By this, I mean paying for hotels and restaurant bill etc.

If it is skimmed, or accessed, isn't it possible to clean out your accounts?

I'm pretty sure my Amex was once skimmed in a large BKK hotel. But couldn't prove it.

Edited by phetphet
Added info..
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, phetphet said:

Forgive my misunderstanding, but isn't it a bit more dangerous using a debit card like this rather than a credit card? By this, I mean paying for hotels and restaurant bill etc.

If it is skimmed, or accessed, isn't it possible to clean out your accounts?

I'm pretty sure my Amex was once skimmed in a large BKK hotel. But couldn't prove it.

I have nearly no money anytime on my Thai Account so no much loss anyway and I since very long time did not use any card in a skimmed way - I need it mostly to pay travel expences flights hotels ect in the Internet online and on the other hand I am nit so fearful anyway from using my limited funds with a Debit card ????

My newly issued BBL Mastercard does not carry my name and when I try to use it for on-line purchases a name is required to confirm the name on the card.  The BBL branch service desk insists that it can be used on-line.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.

Received my new Bangkok Bank Mastercard yesterday and tried some small shopping at Big C.

No PIN

No signature 

was needed to release the payment. The staff just hold the card above a card reader an that was is.

In my opinion very unsafe this new contacless payment function. With Visa i needed always signature or Pin before.

Went to the bank branch and asked if they can deactivate this payment function and ONLY PIN/signature is working for release of payment.

'Can not mister. Can have only Union Pay Card"

I have also a Visa credit card and at that i could deactivate contactless payment.

Is this really true with Bsngkok Bank or is there any chance to deactivate contactless payment so that only PIN/signature is mandatory to release payments in shops like Big C ect.?

Edited by Crisu

Received my new Bangkok Bank Mastercard yesterday and tried some small shopping at Big C.

No PIN
No signature 

was needed to release the payment. The staff just hold the card above a card reader an that was is.

In my opinion very unsafe this new contacless payment function. With Visa i needed always signature or Pin before.

Went to the bank branch and asked if they can deactivate this payment function and ONLY PIN/signature is working for release of payment.
'Can not mister. Can have only Union Pay Card"

I have also a Visa credit card and at that i could deactivate contactless payment.

Is this really true with Bsngkok Bank or is there any chance to deactivate contactless payment so that only PIN/signature is mandatory to release payments in shops like Big C ect.?
In Big C Extra no PIN or signature is required for Mastercard and VISA payments below ฿1500 and ฿700, respectively. Doesn't matter whether the card is contactless or not.

You can set your debit card spending limit to zero.  Then it can't be used for any shopping.  Do your shopping with cash or with your credit card. 

But in reality, contactless is the way everything is going whether it's debit or credit cards, and a signature is never checked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 11:32 AM, jor said:

My newly issued BBL Mastercard does not carry my name and when I try to use it for on-line purchases a name is required to confirm the name on the card.  The BBL branch service desk insists that it can be used on-line.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.

Can anyone answer Jor's question, I would need a M/C to buy flights etc online but it appears this is another dud card issued by Bangkok bank. The staff in my local branch suspected this won't work online too. I'm getting disillusioned with Bangkok bank and think I need to swap banks. Probably a lot of you with expiring Visa debit cards will need to decide in the future too... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

Can anyone answer Jor's question, I would need a M/C to buy flights etc online but it appears this is another dud card issued by Bangkok bank. The staff in my local branch suspected this won't work online too. I'm getting disillusioned with Bangkok bank and think I need to swap banks. Probably a lot of you with expiring Visa debit cards will need to decide in the future too... 

I have also received the new Bangkok Bank Mastercard. Before i used the Visa Debit Card also for on line purchase by OTP Pin to my mobilphone. When i received the new Mastercard i asked the Branch in Patong if i can use it for online payment already or i have to activate something first. They said it is all available same as at my old Visa Card.

Today i tried to book a Bangkok Airways flight from Patong to Bangkok online and i used the Mastercard the first time for online payment. Despite there is no name printed on my card i indicated my full name in the payment site of Bangkok Airways and everything worked same before. Bankgok send me an OTP for payment confirmation on the same mobilphone no. i used before, i used this OTP on the payment site of Bankgok Airways for confirmation of my payment.

So for me, online payment with Mastercard Debit Card is working the same like before with VISA.

• Like 2

Can anybody advise?

Thanks.
I am using the BBL Mastercard at the moment and I can confirm that the card works perfectly fine for online transactions with or without SMS OTP..

The real problem comes when I'm trying to pay with the card physically via chip and PIN. out of the perhaps 20 or so times that various merchants have tried, only 3 transactions has successfully went through.. the rest would either fail before or after I have entered my PIN.

I have yet to test and confirm if the above is same if the payment is attempted using the Mastercard Paypass contactless mode since there are so few merchants that support it. But I am quite certain this issue is only affecting retail transactions that is made via the chip.

to add on, this is my 2nd BBL Mastercard as I left my previous card at the ATM at suvarnabhumi airport when rushing to catch my flight. the previous card also face this issue of unsuccessful chip and pin payment. ATM transactions working without a hitch. called 1333 and spoke to them about this issue as well and their reply was "we couldn't see any issue with your account or card status".

I was wondering if anyone else here is facing this same issue or do I just happened to be a repeated unlucky cardholder? it's really frustrating to always be told by the cashier that my card doesn't work and I'll have to end up paying with my Singapore issued credit card and incurred all the unnecessary fees for foreign currency transactions. please share your experience using this card for chip and PIN payment and any resolution to the above issue if possible. thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

52 minutes ago, supercali said:

I am using the BBL Mastercard at the moment and I can confirm that the card works perfectly fine for online transactions with or without SMS OTP..

The real problem comes when I'm trying to pay with the card physically via chip and PIN. out of the perhaps 20 or so times that various merchants have tried, only 3 transactions has successfully went through.. the rest would either fail before or after I have entered my PIN.

I have yet to test and confirm if the above is same if the payment is attempted using the Mastercard Paypass contactless mode since there are so few merchants that support it. But I am quite certain this issue is only affecting retail transactions that is made via the chip.

to add on, this is my 2nd BBL Mastercard as I left my previous card at the ATM at suvarnabhumi airport when rushing to catch my flight. the previous card also face this issue of unsuccessful chip and pin payment. ATM transactions working without a hitch. called 1333 and spoke to them about this issue as well and their reply was "we couldn't see any issue with your account or card status".

I was wondering if anyone else here is facing this same issue or do I just happened to be a repeated unlucky cardholder? it's really frustrating to always be told by the cashier that my card doesn't work and I'll have to end up paying with my Singapore issued credit card and incurred all the unnecessary fees for foreign currency transactions. please share your experience using this card for chip and PIN payment and any resolution to the above issue if possible. thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I expect it's a communications problem....wherever you are trying (must) use the card in PIN mode a timeout message is occurring where the Point of Service machine is not getting a response in a timely manner from the Bangkok Bank authorization/approval system.   

What part of the world are you having this problem in?  Europe maybe?

On 3/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Crisu said:

I have also received the new Bangkok Bank Mastercard. Before i used the Visa Debit Card also for on line purchase by OTP Pin to my mobilphone. When i received the new Mastercard i asked the Branch in Patong if i can use it for online payment already or i have to activate something first. They said it is all available same as at my old Visa Card.

Today i tried to book a Bangkok Airways flight from Patong to Bangkok online and i used the Mastercard the first time for online payment. Despite there is no name printed on my card i indicated my full name in the payment site of Bangkok Airways and everything worked same before. Bankgok send me an OTP for payment confirmation on the same mobilphone no. i used before, i used this OTP on the payment site of Bankgok Airways for confirmation of my payment.

So for me, online payment with Mastercard Debit Card is working the same like before with VISA.

Thanks, Crisu.

I tried an on-line payment again and entering my name (even though it does not show on the card) worked fine.

I have a BB visa debit card ....  and for the love of me I cannot use it to buy an air ticket or anything. I have tried .....  it's the Verified by visa that fails and then I try to get an 8 digit reference number from BB to get Verified by visa working .... no go.  Went to the bank asked them to disable Verified by visa .... cannot mister.  ahhhhh