Unwanted foreigners -or simply underfunded?

Scouse123

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not all posters are among the chronically ill, my only medical expenses in the last year were a packet of antibiotics ($1) and 100 paracetamol ($1) both from Makro. Although the forthcoming cannabis bonanza may push me into that category.

I think he was referring to medical insurance rather than expenses.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not all posters are among the chronically ill, my only medical expenses in the last year were a packet of antibiotics ($1) and 100 paracetamol ($1) both from Makro. Although the forthcoming cannabis bonanza may push me into that category.

I spent 330,000 baht this year on medical via insurance. The previous year I spent 67,000 and the year before that 35,000.

For my illness, I spend 4,800 a month just on drugs without even seeing the doctor.

Some people are just plain lucky to have good health. My grandmother lived to 99 years, 334 days before clocking out and she only needed paracetamol for all those years. She died from a Morphine overdose in the end as the last three days of her life, she did not eat and seemed to be in pain from a swollen foot. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread. Like many here, I'm older. People talk about health insurance but rarely does anyone talk about living healthier lives into old age.

It's difficult in Thailand I think for farang to commit to healthy lifestyles. Women and drink are cheap and easy. Bad quality, unhealthy but delicious food is cheap and plentiful. Most of my older friends are falling apart by their late 50s.. But it doesn't have to be that way. 

I see my health as its own insurance. I take pleasures in simple, healthier things. 

On 11/30/2018 at 4:03 PM, possum1931 said:

But they do need us, they don't want us, but they need us, where is Thai immigrations income stream going to come from?

Both they and the visa agents are in this together, yes, they need us all right.

No, they don't need us.

I just finished a trip for the last week doing many, many miles around the North. I saw only like three farangs and a couple of Chinese during my trip and the rest was just Thais doing there daily living without a farang in sight. The Visa regulations are in fact really relaxed I feel now after my travels. Park some money and that is it. Simple.

Just about every good coffee shop, I stopped in, was full of Thais. The hotels were also full of Thais from Bangkok. The only place I saw lots of farangs were Sukhothai but I only saw a few Chinese.

Once again, there was a lot of Thais as well looking at the ruins of Sukhothai. Nan was just full of Thais that were on tour. In general, many Thais are spending money.

The Chinese are only flowing through Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket I think. Really, Immigration does not give a damn about us and most of the places I visited still, compared to other places in Asia, were like Paradise and the prices were not so expensive. The only Thais that need us are the ones that are married to us.

The rest of the Thais honestly do not give a damn and neither should they about us.

Nope, we are not important at all to the Thais and I think a lot of people have got lost thinking this. I am happy I did this trip as it got my perspective back in line again. I am now very happy to shut up and just stay here. We have it good. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 4:03 PM, possum1931 said:

But they do need us, they don't want us, but they need us, where is Thai immigrations income stream going to come from?

Both they and the visa agents are in this together, yes, they need us all right.

What percentage of Thai GDP does that represent, feel free to express your answer to five decimal places if necessary, as a percentage of say USD 460 billion?

• Haha 1