Why are expats so bad in Thai?

FritsSikkink

8 hours ago, tilaceer said:

In my muang, hardly any farang can communicate in Thai, and the wives/gf's get right annoyed at their laziness and excuses. Now try and learn Isaan...thats tough....

Up here the Thai is also part Lao and other local dialects so leaning central Thai would not help.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thought "cow nee ow" was sticky rice ? Plain was the the cow on its own ?

off topic .....please move to language forum.  (just pulling your  kah  charlie)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:
  38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thought "cow nee ow" was sticky rice ? Plain was the the cow on its own ?

actually when ordering somewhere that has both they will ask (if you don't say) if you want kow neow or kow suay.  there's also different types of rice ( brown, hawm malee, etc) so cow on its own really refers to

all types of rice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Again nonsense, local dialects and languages exist but news, television, movies and all things official happen in Central Thai including education. 

Even in Laos I was able to get by using central Thai, because they too receive Thai TV. 

It is not nonsense. My wife can understand and speak most of the dialects but the rest of her family cannot.

• Like 1

People never seem to factor in that it can be very nice not understanding what anyone is saying, or being able to communicate. 

I also agree with the people who said it can be discouraging getting started. Say a word, but emphasize the wrong part and nobody understands. I still honestly cannot believe, for anything, how difficult it is to order "chicken breast" here. I mean it is just so frustrating it is throw hands up in the air territory. Others are much better with languages so more power to them. 

7 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I still honestly cannot believe, for anything, how difficult it is to order "chicken breast" here.

That's because the Thais don't rate chicken breast and can't understand why anyone would be daft enough to order it.

"Surely he must mean deep fried chicken feet", they think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

I knew a university ajarn in Chiang Mai 25 years ago, an American, who liked to clink glasses with his neighbours in a bar. I taught him that the Thai word for 'cheers' was 'chak waow'. For weeks afterwards he'd cheerily raise his glass to all and sundry and yell those words. I don't know whether he also did so when dining with his faculty at work, but imagining it always brought a chuckle. Not sure if Thais appreciated his efforts, but it sure made them laugh.

You wicked man. Chak waow is the Thai expression for a hand job, or masturbation.

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Is it laziness, a feeling of superiority, missing skills or something else?

Almost zero possibility of ever getting citizenship, can't buy a house, second class citizen, etc = almost zero interest in learning a language which is useless elsewhere in the world.

That's it for me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's because the Thais don't rate chicken breast and can't understand why anyone would be daft enough to order it.

"Surely he must mean deep fried chicken feet", they think.

One of the most popular dishes in Thailand and available on every street corner.

cow.jpg

21 hours ago, HampiK said:

I think this has nothing to do with expats in Thai. I saw the same in my country, that foreigners come and stay there for many many years and still are not able to speak the local language.

I think longtime ago it was worse, as by now most people thinking if they can speak English that should be enough.

I would guess some will say to learn Thai language is to difficult as the language is different from most western languages.

You are 100% right!!

I see it in my country too. Peoples who are here 10-20-30y hardly speak the language. While others do everything they can to learn it and speak it fluendly in 6 months.

Most foreign peoples who are like that Always hang around with peoples from their own country or race. Don't want to get to know the peoples, culture or anything from the locals.

And the most hideous thing is: those kind of peoples mostly expect from others/locals they do speak their, or at least one, major language to serve them proparly.

And about your last remark about thai language: i will Always remember the words from a thai teachers husband i know. He Always said:

i can speak perfectly thai with other foreigners but many Thais will never understand me. And he is so right about that.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Off topic,

Have you noticed how Thais are always constipated and foreigners always have the runs?

Bit of the typical broad brush, mate? 

Akin to suggesting that all Thai girls marry for love. 

????

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's the words around it that count.

Knee = Hua cow

rice = cow Knee-ow or cow suay

eat = gin cow

white = see cow

come in = cow maa

There's rarely any cows on their own.

for increased confusion, you can add news and glue to those words

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You wicked man. Chak waow is the Thai expression for a hand job, or masturbation.

wow,

not good fooling people like that - not good

in the past some bargirls have played small tricks with me, funny, but nothing gross like that

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

It's a reflection of their IQ - simple as that.

More intelligent people will learn a language (any language)

if exposed to it for a prolonged period.

So youre  good  at maths  too then...its  just another language

16 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I made the effort many years ago and it has served me well working with the locals. When Thai strangers I meet compliment on my language skills and ask how long I have been here, I tell them 3 days, I learned it from a book on the plane coming over here.

Funniest story of the  day ..Thanks????

6 hours ago, kannot said:

Can you  play a piano? then ask yourself the same question, I took lessons for 3  years and still didnt manage it, Im equally crap at language, ask me  to do some construction or solve a construction issue im way better, why arent we  all brain surgeons?

Everyone gets handed out a different skill set as they go out the birth door. Some unlucky ones get SFA. Best idea is to find what one is good at, and work on optimizing it for enjoyment and profit.

I don't make friends easily. My Thai GF is a genius at it.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't make friends easily. My Thai GF is a genius at it.

I have only two friends in Thailand; Mildred (daughter) and Ron.

Mark was a friend of sorts but he died mysteriously a couple of years back. And Ren. He was OK but also died mysteriously.

The wife doesn't like me having friends and would not want me to learn Thai.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have only two friends in Thailand; Mildred (daughter) and Ron.

Mark was a friend of sorts but he died mysteriously a couple of years back. And Ren. He was OK but also died mysteriously.

The wife doesn't like me having friends and would not want me to learn Thai.

have seen a few here commenting that wife/gf dislikes that they learn thai,

why is that?

14 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

have seen a few here commenting that wife/gf dislikes that they learn thai,

why is that?

I can't speak for the others melvinmelvin but I think it's twofold with Mrs Owl. One is that i would be able to more easily see through the lies and family scams. Secondly, she is a jealous (insecure maybe) person and would think my improved Thai could be used to speak to other women. I'm not allowed to converse with, or even look at, any other women. Only last month she threw a cat at me.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I can't speak for the others melvinmelvin but I think it's twofold with Mrs Owl. One is that i would be able to see through the lies and family scams. Secondly, she is a jealous (insecure maybe) person and would think my improved Thai could be used to speak to other women. I'm not allowed to converse, or even look at, any other women. Only last month she threw a cat at me.

hmm, sounds kinda restrictive, couldn't live with that

I put the idea of a Thai wife/gf on the shelf more than 10 years ago and am very comfortable with that,

can't really be bothered with them

Edited by melvinmelvin

I can't speak for the others melvinmelvin but I think it's twofold with Mrs Owl. One is that i would be able to more easily see through the lies and family scams. Secondly, she is a jealous (insecure maybe) person and would think my improved Thai could be used to speak to other women. I'm not allowed to converse with, or even look at, any other women. Only last month she threw a cat at me.
Nah she is not worried about and old farang chasing other women. She just wants you to stay totally reliant on her for even the smallest translation. Why don't you man up and take a course if you feel strongly about it.
To many farang are controlled by these little 5 foot nothing pip squeaks!
  • Like 2