Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

20 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

So, I did actually see a guy sitting down smoking on the street.  I was in the gym on one of those cross country ski machines, and he was opposite outside a pharmacy, where there was a little bench for customers.

About half a dozen people walked by during that time- not one batted an eyelid as far as I could tell. Meanwhile, I gave up counting the number of vehicles that passed- 100, 200, maybe 300.

I'd say some people on this thread really need to get some perspective.

MB I always interested to read your posts on other threads, as I do some other posters commenting on this thread. You are obviously quite intelligent, but when you take a smokers perspective all logic and sensibility goes out of the window. Surely you must know that smoking could easily kill you, why do you strive to justify it, it is totally unjustifiable.

Maybe by being a smoker you cannot appreciate how acrid cigarettes can be to other people within your vicinity, you don't come across as a selfish person so secretly you must know the dangers and the annoyance it can be to others.

If you have ever watched someone die with lung cancer and watch them cough up parts of their lungs surely you would think more seriously about the habit, it doesn't stop at the lungs, it will spread like wildfire through the rest of the body.

I know this post will be taken flippantly by a lot of smokers, the it will never happen to me syndrome.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The current excellent measures being considered would be a good start. 

Smoking is already banned in most public places often open spaces too such as parks, and most restaurants.  The only establishments where this is not so would likely be considered 'non-mainstream' shall we say.  

For instance, I did not see one smoker at the gym today, or in the shopping mall, or at the bank.... and I didn't have to side step any smokers around doorways.

So where exactly are these places and why are they so compelling that you must be in them?.....????

• Like 1

Just now, mommysboy said:

Smoking is already banned in most public places often open spaces too such as parks, and most restaurants.  The only establishments where this is not so would likely be considered 'non-mainstream' shall we say.  

For instance, I did not see one smoker at the gym today, or in the shopping mall, or at the bank.... and I didn't have to side step any smokers around doorways.

So where exactly are these places and why are they so compelling that you must be in them?.....????

Any place free of smoking is a better place. If you want to know the ones being mentioned in the op...read the op. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vogie said:

MB I always interested to read your posts on other threads, as I do some other posters commenting on this thread. You are obviously quite intelligent, but when you take a smokers perspective all logic and sensibility goes out of the window. Surely you must know that smoking could easily kill you, why do you strive to justify it, it is totally unjustifiable.

Maybe by being a smoker you cannot appreciate how acrid cigarettes can be to other people within your vicinity, you don't come across as a selfish person so secretly you must know the dangers and the annoyance it can be to others.

If you have ever watched someone die with lung cancer and watch them cough up parts of their lungs surely you would think more seriously about the habit, it doesn't stop at the lungs, it will spread like wildfire through the rest of the body.

I know this post will be taken flippantly by a lot of smokers, the it will never happen to me syndrome.

Vogie. I'm not justifying smoking as such, and rather think it better that is banned in favour of vaping.  I'm glad I gave up smoking.

What I am saying is that smokers pose no threat outside really, while others seem to think that they are being poisoned.  I'm also comparing smoking outside with air pollution.  At this point, you realise the ridiculousness of the argument.

I'm also saying problem, what problem?  As I mentioned, I rarely see a smoker out and about these days and certainly not in shopping malls,etc.

I rather suspect we are talking about the gripes of a few punters frequenting the 'Neon Floosie' in Pattaya.

Sadly, I had to pull out of Bangkok after 10 years due to health issues from air pollution which caused me asthma like illness and sinus issues; it cost me financially, and it's my favourite place.  Smokers were the least of my worries.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

I am a smoker and I think it is right to smoke on your own away from others. It's an addiction so I treat it as such. I will only smoke away from others never in front of children or near them and I'd never chat and smoke. I can sit amongst smokers and not smoke. I treat it like a dirty habit because it is.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Aatsi said:

How about smoking in own balcony or terrace? 

How about if have own house must I run 5 meters from my home house?

Can I smoke inside my condo or in own house?

Don't know about the condo.  I think so and probably on your balcony too.  But not on commonly shared ground, such as walkways, and car parks, and of course the entrance.

36 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

In all this I feel sorry for the first time tourist, how are they expected to know all these rules (and changes),they look at Thailand,read all the TAT hype and think,yes that looks a nice place for a holiday.

Are they then expected to sit down for few hours and try to understand all the rules and get very confused when they get here and they see a Thai person(or a Chinese) seemingly ignoring the rules and getting away with it.Then getting fined for doing exactly the same thing.Are we now going to see booklets handed out at the airports giving a full list of what you can do and cannot.

I am not just talking about smoking, it is almost every aspect of daily life that can impact the unwary tourist.(and I am not talking about expats,if you live here you should over time be aware of the rules,just the guy,girl who steps off the plane for their first holiday here) who then gets hit with a fine,

Do not worry with all the millions of Chinese from alibaba, authorities will be very busy collecting fines.

i have clear signs in my room “ no smoking “ with what penalties would be applied, yet they chain smoke and refuse to pay. 

Will be fun

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

This is what I don't understand: surely there are no longer smokers in malls, sports centres, restaurants, and the ilk.  As for outside, I don't see hordes of smokers lingering at the doorway. I do see the odd smoker out and about who appears to be causing no nuisance.

Where are these establishments where one can smoke? Why do non smokers feel magnetically drawn to them?  It would be a laugh if we're really just talking about sleazy bars (nothing against them mind).  You have to take the rough with the smooth in these places.

Any place that draws crowds will draw smokers and non-smokers. Bus stops. Markets. Entrances to big buildings. Etc.

52 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

In all this I feel sorry for the first time tourist, how are they expected to know all these rules (and changes),they look at Thailand,read all the TAT hype and think,yes that looks a nice place for a holiday.

Are they then expected to sit down for few hours and try to understand all the rules and get very confused when they get here and they see a Thai person(or a Chinese) seemingly ignoring the rules and getting away with it.Then getting fined for doing exactly the same thing.Are we now going to see booklets handed out at the airports giving a full list of what you can do and cannot.

I am not just talking about smoking, it is almost every aspect of daily life that can impact the unwary tourist.(and I am not talking about expats,if you live here you should over time be aware of the rules,just the guy,girl who steps off the plane for their first holiday here) who then gets hit with a fine,

Anyone being considerate will have no problem. Walk away a bit from people as most smokers already do and they should be fine in most cases.

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

They are, or should already be, away from you. What do you mean 'away from the rest of us'?

It means it's up to the smoker to make sure that their smoke doesn't come near anyone. Meaning if there is other people around they shouldn't be allowed to light up. I think this is reasonable. 

Compare it to guns. If everyone was allowed to carry a gun and was free to shoot it. It would be up to the shooter to make sure it's safe to shoot before shooting the gun. Can't just shoot into a crowd and say "I'm free to shoot my gun! The crowd should had stayed home".

Ofcourse I'm not comparing gunfire to cigarette smoke. I'm just making a logical point about responsibility.

On the other hand if someone deliberately runs across an active gun range it's that persons fault for getting shot.

Same goes if someone tries to follow a smoker who has already gone out of his way to get away from the crowd to smoke. Smokers should only be fined when they haven't shown reasonable attempt to make sure the smoke doesn't bother others. 

That's how I would make the laws. And yes, 5 meter away from an entrance is perfectly reasonable as people will be expected near the entrance.

For all you people making comparisons to alcohol and gasoline cars.

Alcohol is already limited and regulated. 

Gasoline cars will hopefully be taxed like hell as electric vehicles become better and more common.

Edited by hobz

5 hours ago, wabothai said:

Of course we are talking about enforcement.

Who said anything about enforcement, this topic is about law. Not enforcement. Anyone that knows anything knows that this will not be enforced properly.

1 hour ago, Aatsi said:

How about smoking in own balcony or terrace? 

How about if have own house must I run 5 meters from my home house?

Can I smoke inside my condo or in own house?

Your house is private property. Not public building.. Your smoke going into neighbors balcony seems annoying... Might be part of condo rules.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hobz said:

It means it's up to the smoker to make sure that their smoke doesn't come near anyone. Meaning if there is other people around they shouldn't be allowed to light up. I think this is reasonable. 

Laws a la Carte where the subject should be allowed when the laws apply or not.  Interesting concept.

Lane change signals. only if other cars are around if subject thinks there are no other cars around , no need to signal, what can go wrong with that?

No other cars coming , why wait for a red light? Waste of time

No one around,  light a cigaret, If someone shows up while you are smocking, no problem, extinguish your cigarette, bring out your personal,HEPA equipped,  air scrubber, Problem solved.

Edited by sirineou
punctuation

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Any place that draws crowds will draw smokers and non-smokers. Bus stops. Markets. Entrances to big buildings. Etc.

I guess I just never take much notice- it doesn't bother me.  I'll keep a look out. But I think this is grossly over-egged, and it really can't hurt or smell that much.

Edited by mommysboy

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Don't know about the condo.  I think so and probably on your balcony too.

Many condos have banned smoking on balconies. 2000 baht fine in my condo.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I guess I just never take much notice- it doesn't bother me.  I'll keep a look out. But I think this is grossly over-egged, and it really can't hurt or smell that much.

grossly over-egged,,, no, it's not a big deal, nobody said its a big deal, just it should be made illegal, if the law is broken a small fine will be paid,, we are not talking about jail sentences or huge fines are we? literally the smallest possible penalty, that is, a small fine. How can that be grossly over-egged?

can't hurt or smell that much? Yes it can. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

Laws a la Carte where the subject should be allowed when the laws apply or not.  Interesting concept.

Lane change signals. only if other cars are around if subject thinks there are no other cars around , no need to signal, what can go wrong with that?

No other cars coming , why wait for a red light? Waste of time

No one around,  light a cigaret, If someone shows up while you are smocking, no problem, extinguish your cigarette, bring out your personal,HEPA equipped,  air scrubber, Problem solved.

I see your points, can't have laws like that. But in reality this is how most smokers do it, they walk away from people, and if people come they put it out or they walk further away. At least that's how I did it when I used to smoke, and i've seen other operate in the same fashion. It's a matter of showing respect and consideration, something that most people have naturally, but for some people it needs to be enforced with laws. Since laws are not as flexible they tend to hit both good and bad.  

Edited by hobz
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, superal said:

<snip>

The smoking ban is just another means to collect money from tourists who will be able to afford it . A much better return than road checks and traffic offenses and the top cops will be happy to be getting rich quick . 

Who ever thinks this move is to safeguard health are living in cuckoo land . It is a money making venture .

Current bans on restaurant / bar smoking are rarely enforced , especially if the police are collecting tea money .

To the non smokers I say , if it means so much to you to be in a smoke and pollution free environment why do you choose to live in 3rd world country where laws are seldom enforces by legal means . Maybe return to the western world where the laws are enforced and big brother watches over you . 

18 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

I wonder if the die-hard anti-smoker posters here would be so curt and condescending toward our Thai counterparts who light up in public - outdoors? I think not. If they did they would be running the risk of exposing themselves for the pompous, holier-than-thou tw*ts that many so clearly are. If you wouldn't do it to a Thai (as you might feel a pang of absurdity telling a local not to do something they're legally entitled to do in their own country) then what makes you feel you have the right to foist your intolerance on fellow foreigners?

Thais would probably tell you cigarettenazis to 'get to <deleted>" in no uncertain terms, even if aggrieved foreigners might not. Our counterparts haven't suffered the constant hectoring and barrage of extreme regulation that smokers have in the West, so they wouldn't stand for it. This makes me think that this new law won't wash, won't be observed and won't be enforced. It certainly doesn't need to be, so it's a good thing in my view.

This makes me think that this new law won't wash, won't be observed and won't be enforced. It certainly doesn't need to be, so it's a good thing in my view.

I think superal 'hit the nail on the head' with his post (quoted above).

Edit - I agree with all of superal's post - but "The smoking ban is just another means to collect money from tourists who will be able to afford it" is the most obvious part.

"

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smoking bars & non smoking bars , is that beyond the wit of man ?

For sure there is a conflict of interest from the government i.e. If they were so concerned about public health there would be a total ban on smoking but if they chose to impose that they would be billions of Baht down on the loss of tobacco tax revenue .

I do believe that the police will act on this new law when it is live because it will be easy pickings . No doubt there will be posters to inform the public ? however I can see many a tourist after having a few drinks , forgetting the restrictions & lighting up within the non smoking zone . This is going to annoy many Chinese tourists who are renown smokers just at the time when the Thai government are trying to win them back .

• Like 1