Is it possible – getting my wife access to my Thai bank account

I have a standard Bangkok Bank Savings account that is in my sole name. I have several international payments set up that send money from abroad to this bank account every month.

These international payments into my bank account took me some time to set up and get working satisfactorily. I now want to give my Thai wife access to this account , and I was thinking about going into my Bangkok bank branch and asking about the possibility of making my current bank account into a joint bank account .

Looking through some old past posts on similar subjects , it seems that to make sole name bank account into a joint bank account , will require the closure of the sole name account , and the opening of a brand new joint name bank account.

I really don't want to terminate my sole name bank account as its taken me some considerable time to get it set up with the the international payments being paid into the account , along with debit card , PayPal and internet access.

I’m wondering if there’s some way to give my wife access to my sole name account , where by she can give instructions to the bank ( to physically make withdrawals using the bank account pass book / arrange or cancel monthly payments being made to service providers etc , in other words to act on my behalf , and if possible a new second debit card for her ( for only ATM use ) .

As I live some considerable distance from my Bangkok Bank branch , I thought I would ask here before making the long trip to the bank.

Any thoughts or suggestions please .

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Open a joint account with some nearby bank. Make transfers to it from your Bangkok Bank account using internet banking. Even if you are incapacitated/dead anyone with the online banking codes can still transfer money out.

Wouldn't that be technically illegal?

12 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Wouldn't that be technically illegal?

Opening the account is not illegal. ????

Transferring from a deceased’s account is illegal. 

It is is a good practical solution though and only becomes an issue upon death. 

If those payments in are in are still valid after death it could be a good idea to advise the remitters to send to the new account in the event of death. Give the wife the Internet banking codes anyway as a fallback.

You could try using the Bangkok Bank website to ask your questions.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Contact-Us

I suspect that the answer will be "No". A couple of years ago I asked at my branch whether I could keep an account in my sole name, but give power of attorney to my wife (in case of my illness or demise). They looked at me as though I had just arrived from another planet.

Good luck though.

If you wish to keep the account you have now due to the previously set up transfers you can add your wife as an authorised signature for deposits and withdrawals.  This is not the same as 'joint account' as the account is still in your name only.

The phrase 'power of attorney' may have thrown them, just ask for wife to be added as 'authorised signature'.

Have personally done this at Bangkok Bank

As far as legality of transferring from deceased account, if it is in one name then yes illegal. If a joint account it depends on what was stated when the account was opened.

31 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

If you wish to keep the account you have now due to the previously set up transfers you can add your wife as an authorised signature for deposits and withdrawals.  This is not the same as 'joint account' as the account is still in your name only.

The phrase 'power of attorney' may have thrown them, just ask for wife to be added as 'authorised signature'.

Have personally done this at Bangkok Bank

As far as legality of transferring from deceased account, if it is in one name then yes illegal. If a joint account it depends on what was stated when the account was opened.

I believe? that Thailand doesn’t recognize PoA’s

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Sorry ,do not understand your comment. Whether Thailand recognises 'POA' or not is irrelevant as I suggested to ask to add wife as 'authorised signature' which is not the same as POA

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Transferring from a deceased’s account is illegal.

I wonder which law it breaks, unless there is also some element of fraud or deception?

The original question didnt seem to be particularly related to what happens after death anyway, so the solution would be a good one for the OP for the period prior to that event.

Once a new joint account is opened the OP could take his time arranging for some or all of his international transfers etc to be sent to that new joint account instead, if he wishes.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Not true in all circumstances in fact often used.

In regard to banking maybe true, not sure on that point, but well worth checking by e.mail direct to the 'customer contact' e.mail or by calling the bank contact centre. 

I did this several years, I wanted an automatic computerized e.mail with details of every incoming transaction from abroad. Local branch said 'impossible this is the private information of the bank.

I telephone the call center, the officer said yes we have that service, very easy to set up and it's free, can be Thai or English language and you can have an SMS alert also and free. She gave me her name and her extension number.

I went back to my local branch, again 'not possible, bye' I sat at the service officer desk and called the HO lady, she answered and I gave the phone to the local ranch lady - her face went to shock and quickly lots of Thai overpoliteness, and process set up in about 2 minutes with numerous apologies from the local lady.

Net time there was an incoming deposit the local manager called me quickly to check if I had received the e.mail. I had. He spoke good English and was obviously afraid of me and asked whether I had any other banking needs, even offering to come to my office or house. I declined. 

I learned a long time ago, you have to push Thai banks to get service and get correct information.

2 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Personally I advise any expat farang in Thailand that the secret to survival is to NEVER put anyone in a position where they can access your assets.

3 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Personally I advise any expat farang in Thailand that the secret to survival is to NEVER put anyone in a position where they can access your assets.

Yes just transfer to her account as required. Can do from anywhere on the planet-

22 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

yea yea yea

have I seen that many times

I have 800 000 in the bank for my extension of stay

should I piss off prematurely I want the factotum I live with to get that money

that's why

Hi. 

The very best advice is to open a joint account in another bank and transfer money into it, as others have mentioned.

Have you never read about how the Th*i's have ways of emptying your bank account if given access. It may be relatives/girlfriends/wives etc etc.

The quickest way to become poor is to give a third party access to your main bank account. 

From experience it has happened to my Thai wife via relatives three times. Fortunately she had set up a separate bank account and given away access but controlled the money input to reduce losses. I won't bore one with details that thousands of others have also experienced.

Don't be a DUMMY, look after your money.

This is very simple .... you do not need any of the complicated methods quoted by some replies here.

Just walk into your bank, with your wife and her passport, and tell them you want a second ATM / Debit card attached to your account. Should take about 10 mins to issue one. ( I did it in SCB with my wife no problem ) This is not a joint account and nothing changes - just a second card...

On your online bank access, you can set the daily limit for both spending ( in a shop ) or ATM withdrawals for each card ... so you can limit her to say 5000 per day if you wish !

Are you on good terms with the staff at your bank branch?  I withdraw money from my wife's account and vice versa very easily -- we just sign withdrawal slips in advance; the other party then just takes the pre-signed slip to the branch to do a withdrawal.  If/when I die, my wife knows to withdraw quickly from my account before any government gets involved.

But we're good customers of that bank branch and they bend over backwards for us.  Bringing in a withdrawal slip with the other signature might attract suspicion if they didn't know my wife and I get along very well!  ????

ETA: The extra ATM card is an even simpler solution, but wouldn't work for me.  My account is the Special Bangkok Bank Account into which the U.S. Government is willing to deposit SocSec payments (and which must NOT be joint); ATM cards are not permitted for such accounts.

20 hours ago, strabel23 said:

The simple answer to this question is yes. Just ask the bank to add your wife's name to the account.

Or make a will specifically mentioning that on your death all funds in bank account x x  x x  x xxx go to Khun zzzzz yyyyyyy.

Very easy to get prepared and (not compulsory) you can also get the will registered at the local amphur office. 

On 11/9/2018 at 1:45 PM, scorecard said:

Or make a will specifically mentioning that on your death all funds in bank account x x  x x  x xxx go to Khun zzzzz yyyyyyy.

Very easy to get prepared and (not compulsory) you can also get the will registered at the local amphur office. 

This will document, duly made and notarized ( as above ) has to be a Thailand will as a o/s doc will not suffice - consider lodging a copy with the bank also. 

On 11/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, scorecard said:

Not true in all circumstances in fact often used.

In regard to banking maybe true, not sure on that point, but well worth checking by e.mail direct to the 'customer contact' e.mail or by calling the bank contact centre. 

I did this several years, I wanted an automatic computerized e.mail with details of every incoming transaction from abroad. Local branch said 'impossible this is the private information of the bank.

I telephone the call center, the officer said yes we have that service, very easy to set up and it's free, can be Thai or English language and you can have an SMS alert also and free. She gave me her name and her extension number.

I went back to my local branch, again 'not possible, bye' I sat at the service officer desk and called the HO lady, she answered and I gave the phone to the local ranch lady - her face went to shock and quickly lots of Thai overpoliteness, and process set up in about 2 minutes with numerous apologies from the local lady.

Net time there was an incoming deposit the local manager called me quickly to check if I had received the e.mail. I had. He spoke good English and was obviously afraid of me and asked whether I had any other banking needs, even offering to come to my office or house. I declined. 

I learned a long time ago, you have to push Thai banks to get service and get correct information.

Quite often local branches of Thai banks don't always know what to do so they will say no.

I did a similar thing to you when I wanted to transfer some money to a friend. Cannot was the answer.

I went back home and contacted the call centre who advised me to go back to the bank and ring the call centre again in English and pass the phone to the bank officer.

The net result was another officer also rang the call centre and I had her telling the cashier what to do under the call centre instructions, the cashier doing the work and another officer behind her taking notes.

The one stupid thing is that they would not take it from my account directly so I had to go to the ATM and draw the cash to pay for the transfer.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Personally I advise any expat farang in Thailand to trust their wife.

After all, if you can't trust your wife then why did you marry her in the first place?

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Personally I advise any expat farang in Thailand to trust their wife.

After all, if you can't trust your wife then why did you marry her in the first place?

Are you using your husbands Thai visa profile to post that ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Are you using your husbands Thai visa profile to post that ?

I don't think so as my wife doesn't like using any computer.

We have had a joint account in Thailand since 2001 plus I have one in my own name and my wife has access to both. When I used to have UK credit cards years ago she had access to several of those also.

Trust between a husband and wife is a fragile thing which needs constant attention.

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think so as my wife doesn't like using any computer.

We have had a joint account in Thailand since 2001 plus I have one in my own name and my wife has access to both. When I used to have UK credit cards years ago she had access to several of those also.

Trust between a husband and wife is a fragile thing which needs constant attention.

Thats just your situation though , there are some people whose partner isnt trustworthy and so it would be inadvisable for those people to give their banking details to their partner

Archived