Is it possible – getting my wife access to my Thai bank account

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thats just your situation though , there are some people whose partner isnt trustworthy and so it would be inadvisable for those people to give their banking details to their partner

you are probably right

and there is also a bunch of farang that should not have a partner here in LoS

42 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

you are probably right

and there is also a bunch of farang that should not have a partner here in LoS

Not everyone can be as good as you are though , some other people cannot attract woman like your wife , these lesser men should also have partners here in Thailand .

It would be unfair on those guys to prohibit them from having partners .

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Not everyone can be as good as you are though , some other people cannot attract woman like your wife , these lesser men should also have partners here in Thailand .

It would be unfair on those guys to prohibit them from having partners .

am not married

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thats just your situation though , there are some people whose partner isnt trustworthy and so it would be inadvisable for those people to give their banking details to their partner

No, it isn't just me. Most of my farang friends here in Thailand are much the same as me in trusting their Thai wives and I am no exception.

I did exactly the same thing when I was married in the UK.

How do you know if your wife is trustworthy without giving her the trust in the first place?

That also happens across the world and is not simply a Thai thing.

Thanks to all who gave advice and suggestions . So I have been to my Bangkok bank branch were I originally opened my savings account and asked about having my Thai wife ( married for 22 years ) signature added to my account . The answer was , yes I can add her signature to my account and it would cost 30 Baht to add her signature and 100 Baht for a new account pass book.

So now my wife can go into any branch of Bangkok bank any where in Thailand and make a withdrawal . She can not close the account or alter it in any way .

The options I was offered for adding my wife's signature to my existing account were

1. Single endorser ( my name only )

2. Either endorser ( me or my wife's individual signature )

3. Both endorsers ( both my signature and my wife signature needed at the same time )

I did ask about opening a new joint bank account where both our names would be shown on the account , and either of us could control the account . Which I did not apply for at this time .

One thing that I was told was, that with an account in only one name , then if a second name was added later to that account ( like I have just done ) , should the account pass book become full and a new passbook is required to make a physical withdrawal from the bank , then both the signature holders need to be present to apply for a new passbook . I was told that this also applies to joint accounts as well , both signature holders need to apply together for a new passbook.

Again thanks every one.

26 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

I was told that this also applies to joint accounts as well , both signature holders need to apply together for a new passbook.

Not true in my experience with Bangkok Bank if set up as a joint account for either party to sign.

On 11/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, sanemax said:

And there are plenty of farang here in LOS and everywhere who are absolutely not trustworthy.

My experience was buying a new camera 20+ years ago, quite new technology. Suddenly it disappeared from my room, no clues, no maid or anybody else had access to my room, my own big padlock on the door, etc.

Then by chance I met a farang work buddy out shopping with his Thai girlfriend, and she's carrying my camera. I asked to take a look and sure enough there's a small scratch on the bottom. Isn't mine.

A few hours later I confronted the farang and he admitted he had stolen it on a previous quick visit to my room.

I asked him why, his response, 'I'm broke and I haven't given her a gift for a long time and I want to keep her happy, so please excuse me.' I demanded the camera be returned and it was but soon after the other farang and his girl broke up.

From the day I saw the girl with my camera I never spoke to the farang ever again and I learned dishonest people are everywhere and come in all shapes,sizes, colours and origins. 

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not true in my experience with Bangkok Bank if set up as a joint account for either party to sign.

I've opened several joint accounts with my Thai adult son, either party can sign, with both K bank and BBL.

In every case both parties had to be present to open the account for at least one solid very valid reason; both parties had to sign the documents the bank holds with the sample signatures of both parties. 

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I think the OP was talking about "when needing to get a passbook," not when one of them is withdrawing money. 

Both people listed on the account need to show up to get a new passbook simply because both must sign the last page of the passbook as that last page is put under the UV light when withdrawing money to confirm the signature on the withdrawal slip matches the signature on the passbook.

All of my joint accounts with the wife are setup as either type accounts....either can withdraw with only their signature.  However, to get a new passbook, both of us must go to the bank due to the reason I talked about above.

On 11/8/2018 at 3:42 PM, Stuart21 said:

Yes just transfer to her account as required. Can do from anywhere on the planet-

This is what I have been doing. We have separate accounts at Bkk Bank, but a transfer takes about one minute, and is instantaneous.
I had a stroke in March od this year. Thankful it was not more severe, but waan jai asked "What I do if you sick and cannot?"
I will write down passwords, etc., so she can access our money, and also get a POA notarized  from the US embassy and have it translated and notarized in Thai.
Please keep the peanut gallery comments to yourselves.
She is not a beer bar girl I met a short time ago. She has given me upwards of 30,000 baht at need when I had difficulty with international transfer issues.
I want her to have the same access, etc., that normally exists in mature relationships in the West. If your thought is "I wouldn't give that to ANY woman", just keep it to yourself, and know that I feel sorry for you and whatever bad experiences you have had.

On 11/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, sanemax said:

Who would make the decision to trust a wife?

You, me or anonymous posters on a forum? Perhaps TVF could set up a committee to vet all Thai/farang marriages.

Then it would be her husband who decides, which takes us back to what I said in an earlier post. If you can't trust your wife, why did you get married to her in the first place?

On 11/16/2018 at 9:25 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, something you may have overlooked, is this account your 65k/800k immigration account ? If so there could be issues with joint names or access etc.

One immigration official claims that twice the amount is needed; e.g. 1600k in an account with 2 names will satisfy the 800k requirement.  This is "logical" since 1600 ÷ 2 = 800.

But each immigration office seems to have its own rules; and logic doesn't always enter into them.

18 minutes ago, singburisam said:

One immigration official claims that twice the amount is needed; e.g. 1600k in an account with 2 names will satisfy the 800k requirement.  This is "logical" since 1600 ÷ 2 = 800.

But each immigration office seems to have its own rules; and logic doesn't always enter into them.

That's not what both immigration in Hua Hin and my bank (TMB) told me. They both said that the account used for proof of funds for an extension must be in the applicant's sole name. 

Based on numerous posts I've read over the years it will depend on the person's particular immigration office.

Some offices will only accept a bank account in the applicant's name only.....others will accept a joint account but only give the applicant credit for 50% of the account balance meaning Bt1,600K would need to be in the joint account versus Bt800K for a retirement extension of stay. 

But it seems most offices want the account in the applicant's name only.

Archived