• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 626

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

2. 305

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

3. 2,664

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

4. 10

Video: SpaceX rocket booster successfully lands in Texas after test launch

5. 1,070

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

6. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

7. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

8. 305

9. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

10. 8

11. 305

12. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

13. 305

14. 8

U.S. judge halts construction of Keystone XL oil pipeline

webfact

11 hours ago, JulesMad said:

The more the better :clap2: I am waiting for his final last tantrum, the one that makes him implode ????

I am sure he is working himself up to something bursting...

And I am sure Pence has got his acceptance speech in his jacket pocket. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I am sure he is working himself up to something bursting...

And I am sure Pence has got his acceptance speech in his jacket pocket. 

In all fairness it's part of the miserable job of all vice presidents to be ready for the presidency on a moment's notice. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

In all fairness it's part of the miserable job of all vice presidents to be ready for the presidency on a moment's notice. 

But his hall mirror must be feed up of him sanding in front, raising his right hand and muttering "I do solemnly swear..." every morning. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So how does a Montana judge over rule the President? What kind of a country is the USA.

Geezer

Uhm, because we don't have a King?

Oy vey. 6th-grade civics class failed. (Assumes you are from the U.S. of course.)

• Thanks 1

So how does a Montana judge over rule the President? What kind of a country is the USA.

Geezer

How did the Court of Appeal over rule the Prime Minister with the TransMountain decision? 

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/fresh-legal-setback-for-keystone-xl-could-result-in-delays-of-up-to-a-year

"The ruling in Montana against Keystone XL is “eerily similar” to the Federal Court of Appeals ruling against the Trans Mountain pipeline"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geezer

Basically and very broadly as long as their is subject matter jurisdiction (in this case a case or controversy arising out of the laws of the United States, ie an agency decision) and "injury" (loosely defined) a Federal Judge has the power to temporarily or permanently enjoin the actions of a Federal Agency relating to matters in his District. Here the Montana Judge acted within his authority to halt a LOCAL project, unlike District Judges who enter nationwide injunctions like in the Immigration controversey that characterized the early days of the Administration wherein ultimately lawful actions of the Administration were enjoined nationwide. The Supreme Court has already indicated it doesnt like that.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, sandrabbit said:

So all those pumping stations are powered solar energy?

do you have any idea of what you are talking about?

do you get the volume transported via pipelines versus rail

and tanker or do you need basic math and physics?

On 11/9/2018 at 2:35 PM, webfact said:

The ruling is a victory for environmentalists, tribal groups and ranchers who have spent more than a decade fighting against construction of the pipeline that will carry heavy crude to Steele City, Nebraska, from Canada’s oilsands in Alberta.

If Canada wants it so bad let them build it across their own country. 

10 hours ago, connda said:

The existing pipeline does travel longer in Canada. It's American based companies like Koch Industries, which is the biggest foreign lessorimage.jpg.f87c32864682757de71cd5f89c5125a6.jpg in the tar sands, that want the shorter and therefore cheaper route to their Gulf Coast refineries. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, blazes said:

Absolute madness.  Only the eco-warrior mob (mostly middle class) living safely in their suburban hideouts all over the US, can afford to "worry" about pipelines in the wide-open spaces of Montana.

As for jobs...let them eat cake...

I'll be quite happy if the pipeline is closed permanently. The oilsands project is incredibly polluting and is poisoning the rivers and environment. The US will just have to pay more for oil from frakking, and might get a few clues and ban exports again. The ones that will suffer the most will be the eco warrior mob, given they like the oil fired lifestyle.

Unfortunately, if they can't sell their oil to the US, they'll just sell it to the Chinese instead.

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll be quite happy if the pipeline is closed permanently. The oilsands project is incredibly polluting and is poisoning the rivers and environment. The US will just have to pay more for oil from frakking, and might get a few clues and ban exports again. The ones that will suffer the most will be the eco warrior mob, given they like the oil fired lifestyle.

Unfortunately, if they can't sell their oil to the US, they'll just sell it to the Chinese instead.

Most people outside Canada and Texas know nothing about the oil sands (unless their name is Leonardo di Caprio and they have a private jet to fly over the area).

They never think to ask the regional indigenous peoples how they are getting on with their relatively huge investments in the oil patch.

On November 11, 2018 at 2:26 AM, connda said:

If that's the case maybe the USA should crank-up the Erie Canal to ship their bulk freight to tidewater from the Great Lakes. That would be keeping with Trump's America First slogan. We will keep the St.Lawrence Seaway for our own shipping.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Most people outside Canada and Texas know nothing about the oil sands (unless their name is Leonardo di Caprio and they have a private jet to fly over the area).

They never think to ask the regional indigenous peoples how they are getting on with their relatively huge investments in the oil patch.

Ask the  folks in Barrow or Kaktovik in Alaska what they think of oil development. Its nice to be able to keep your traditional whale hunting, shoot it if it moves lifestyle on 250K a year from oilfield work and dividends. The Oil Companies used to hire young Native Dudes as Polar Bear Guards for $25 an hour, just stand around with a shotgun and if a bear comes calling, hit it with a rubber bullet. If it doesnt leave, shoot it. Natives don't need to fill out paperwork for shooting a Polar Bear and they get to keep the hide. Pair of mittens used to sell for $400, hat...$1000...skull $2500 plus.

I knew a 27 year old native dude who was drawing $500K a year as an operator at the Red Dog Mine. Yeah, he was working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, but he had a plan and was just banking the cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pegman said:

If that's the case maybe the USA should crank-up the Erie Canal to ship their bulk freight to tidewater from the Great Lakes. That would be keeping with Trump's America First slogan. We will keep the St.Lawrence Seaway for our own shipping.

NY wouldnt let it happen.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, Nyezhov said:

There is no such thing as an "activist conservative" judge. 

There is not such thing as an activist liberal judge. 

Both your statement and my statement are stupid. 

Judges both liberal and conservative bring their world views to their decisions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jm91 said:

There is not such thing as an activist liberal judge. 

Both your statement and my statement are stupid. 

Judges both liberal and conservative bring their world views to their decisions. 

Sorry you are wrong. Study the difference and get back to me.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I have studied the issue and you are consuming too much conservative media. 

I will give you one example. Gore versus Bush. The conservative majority of the US supreme court ruled in favor or THEIR candidate. And when challenged later on the issue Judge Scalia was quoted as saying "get over it".  To say there are no activist conservative judges is just plain wrong. 

It may give you a great sense of superiority to hold onto that position but it is just wrong. Please educate yourself on the issue as you are embarrassing yourself with your views. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jm91 said:

I have studied the issue and you are consuming too much conservative media. 

I will give you one example. Gore versus Bush. The conservative majority of the US supreme court ruled in favor or THEIR candidate. And when challenged later on the issue Judge Scalia was quoted as saying "get over it".  To say there are no activist conservative judges is just plain wrong. 

It may give you a great sense of superiority to hold onto that position but it is just wrong. Please educate yourself on the issue as you are embarrassing yourself with your views. 

You can sling all the ad hominems you like but you are still wrong. Get over it. Start with learning what an activist is. In the interim, enjoy Thailand!

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Right, that is a good discussion. When challenged, claim 'you're wrong' without any proof for the claim, or complain about being attacked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Right, that is a good discussion. When challenged, claim 'you're wrong' without any proof for the claim, or complain about being attacked.

Right. If its politics, there is never a good discussion here, and personal attacks are the norm. But hey, there is the definition of activist, thats a good place to start.