GPS that can be mounted on my motorcycle (for Honda Click 125): Where to buy in CM?

jayjay2001

I have a Honda Wave 125i that I am thinking about adding a GPS to along with a USB port. So far I haven't found a GPS unit that will mount directly on a scooter. What I am going to do is use a RAM Mount kit that fits in one of the mirror slots and allows you to relocate the mirror to the mount. It is part number RMR-INS-B-360. Once that is in place, you can get mounts that will do GPS, phones, etc. RAM products are not cheap but well made. Chang Moto here in Chiang Mai has them or you can order from GPS4you out of Bangkok. Adding a USB port is a much bigger pain. 

David

I have something like this ( not the same, but same principle )https://www.google.co.th/search?q=GIVI+S850&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq7rvt_sveAhVJ6Y8KHYvmAAgQ7Al6BAgFEA8&biw=1152&bih=615

big avantage, if it's raining, it's protected and you can put inside a GPS for cars, two  times cheaper than a motobike GPS 

after less than two hours , battery is out, so I  have also a Anker charger which lasts several hours 

my gps is a garmin 57 LM and I am very satisfied of everything 

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Why not put the GPS in your phone and get a cradle for the phone, one item does it all, dont need seperate devices.

Just a suggestion.????

How do we get GPS on our smartphone? Is there a website we can download from?

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How do we get GPS on our smartphone? Is there a website we can download from?

Your smartphone is a gps, and just need to download google maps or Sygic map which have a great download application so you can use your maps offline.

A real motorcycle GPS is pretty pricey- something like the Garmin Zumo 350 I have (I believe it's up to the 370 now) can run 20K.  That said, no smartphone or whatever will work as well as a dedicated GPS designed for a bike, the same way a smartphone camera will never really replace a stand-alone camera for quality and features.  It's nice to have something shock-proof, waterproof, and made to be visible in sunlight and work with gloved fingers- the phone will do the job in a basic fashion, though, and might be worth it for you rather than going for something bike-specific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flare said:

A real motorcycle GPS is pretty pricey- something like the Garmin Zumo 350 I have (I believe it's up to the 370 now) can run 20K.  That said, no smartphone or whatever will work as well as a dedicated GPS designed for a bike, the same way a smartphone camera will never really replace a stand-alone camera for quality and features.  It's nice to have something shock-proof, waterproof, and made to be visible in sunlight and work with gloved fingers- the phone will do the job in a basic fashion, though, and might be worth it for you rather than going for something bike-specific.

After riding more than 20 000 km last year, I would say I managed fine just with my smartphone ????

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

After riding more than 20 000 km last year, I would say I managed fine just with my smartphone ????

Didn't say you couldn't manage- I said a dedicated GPS (and in general, any dedicated device that your smartphone can be used in place of, like the aforementioned camera) is usually better- having used smartphone and finally 'biting the bullet' and buying a Garmin, I think a dedicated bike GPS is better.

Many people manage just fine with paper maps.

Edited by flare

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez.

You're thinking of getting lost on an auto 125 moped?

My Wave 125I will go places my CB500X won't, so yes, you can get lost on a 125. However, I tend to use my GPS for convenience of navigation rather than for not getting lost. 

David

Edited by Genericnic

Google Maps as a dedicated GPS has a couple pitfalls... If you are driving in an area with no cell coverage the app can not download the maps needed... While it has an option of saving an area to the phone it doesn’t always work for rural areas... And even if you have cell coverage it can be slow to pinpoint you... I would suggest you get a App like Garmin which has the maps built into the phone app

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 9:11 AM, sfokevin said:

Google Maps as a dedicated GPS has a couple pitfalls... If you are driving in an area with no cell coverage the app can not download the maps needed... While it has an option of saving an area to the phone it doesn’t always work for rural areas... And even if you have cell coverage it can be slow to pinpoint you... I would suggest you get a App like Garmin which has the maps built into the phone app

Thanks for the tip!

On 11/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, flare said:

Didn't say you couldn't manage- I said a dedicated GPS (and in general, any dedicated device that your smartphone can be used in place of, like the aforementioned camera) is usually better- having used smartphone and finally 'biting the bullet' and buying a Garmin, I think a dedicated bike GPS is better.

Many people manage just fine with paper maps.

It all comes down to the quality of the maps that are available for the stand-alone GPS unit.  Last I knew Garmin's Thailand map wasn't all that great.

Edited by suzannegoh