Denmark Embassy Has Stopped Doing Pension Letters

11 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Nobody has ever said there was not an agreement of some type at some stage. I firmly believe though, the Embassy's are under the impression the 6 month valid letter will always be exactly that. Valid for 6 months. They may not be once the door closes on obtaining anymore letters. What is irrefutable is that nobody can or will guarantee, just how long that agreement will be upheld. You going back to your embassy and complaining, may make you feel better but will it change anything? Absolutely not.

The notice from the US Embassy indicates that the letters will be issued until 31 December 2018 and they will be good for 6 months and that Thai Imm has verified that   applicants can apply early.  As part of their information- they indicated that  a negotiation and meeting took place between they and Thai Imm.

If this is not honored by Thai Imm that means that there is an issue to be discussed between the Embassy and Thai Imm on behalf of their citizens.  I would assume a diplomatic mission would go to the Head of Thai Imm and say we had an agreement and it needs to be honored.  This is not about complaining, it is about not misleading people or lying in the face of people.

I have to also believe that when a diplomatic mission meets with a foreign entity like Thai Imm- there is a written record and in that written record there is certainly who said what to whom and what was agreed,

You seem to not understand how life changing this maybe for some people.  I have the funds but I am concerned that some people will need to sell assets; borrow funds or make life changing decisions.  

The Embassies' actions show me they do not understand any of  this and could have negotiated a much longer transition.  You have claimed that you are privy to certain information an if so then you know whether there was an agreement or not.  If there was one then I am expecting it will be upheld/honored .  That is the least that  the Embassies' owe to their citizens.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Please prove it...

This has been discussed several times on several thread in last 4 weeks, but I still saw nowhere any figures about that. I do think Jackdd is right: a very small percent of expats not able to get these 400/800k

You prove Your assertion ! In danish FB forums You will be proved Wrong !  You  maybe know about Your own countrymen, but You don't have a clue about danish nationalities !

1 hour ago, perconrad said:

I am Danish and live full time in Thailand. Luckily I just renewed my extension in october using the income letter and now have almost a year to save for the next extension. I think I will change to married extension from retired. The Danish government old age pension is not as good as some here think, if You live outside the EU then the pension is just DKK 6,315 or about THB 31,575 before tax. Some have other pensions too and I am one of these, but not all have. It is very difficult to get a permanent residency for a wife from Thailand in Denmark, so it will be hard times ahead for some of my country men. Denmark do not like its citizen to move outside the EU. We do pay full tax to Denmark 37% of all our pensions even if we stay in Thailand, but get nothing in return. The Government also takes our voting rights for Folketinget-The parliament from us.

I hope everything works out for you as well.  There are many of us here that will struggle or leave.

• Like 1

This stopping of income letters is ridiculous.  The US and I guess some others have done the same.  The Thai immigration has obviously put some pressure. I challenge Thai Gov. to look at the stats on retirement expats.  We're not bad folk, and I for one don't have 800 K to stash in the bank.  Like many, I live month to month on my pension plus I have some support from family, which I never use, but was included in the mix for my letter of income.  Agents will clean up, that is they don't put an end to that too.  SO... what's a retiree to do, if you don't have the 800K.  Is the way to itemize assets to meet the requirements or is the the nudge or shove to get rid of retirees, unless your rich.  Any light to shed on this would be appreciated. I'm spooked. 

• Like 2

I don`t get this. When I get income confirmation from my consulate,

I just go there with a copy of my pension papers and ask for a signed 

confirmation with the written amount. This paper, I give to the Immigration

office when applying for my yearly VISA. 

The paper from my consulate is not some paper from the Immigration

office that they have to fill in. There is nothing in that document that say

that my consulate guarantee my future pension. It only states my current

pension, a signature and a stamp. That's it...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I call them up and hold them accountable.

How r u going to that? When a agreement is not honored, a court decides what to do An I don't think US embassy (or others) is going to court to enforce it. We even don't know if there was an agreement

12 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Then the Embassies' should comply with our requests and release the written documentation surrounding this whole issue and set the record straight. 

No embassy will do that. 

59 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am the one with the highest risk to have to leave the country.

You are bringing more than the required. I would suggest shop for an agent. may be you have to spend a little less one month. 

20 hours ago, skatewash said:

This is the first embassy to stop issuing the letters with immediate effect, so perhaps a Danish citizen will be the first to test what Thai Immigration will do when one tries to use the income method with proof but without the required embassy income letter.

I know what I’m gonna do for next time in 2020 when they totally stop accepting the letter.  Next payday I’m gonna open a Thai bank account and just start transferring probably half of my monthly pension payments every month from my bank in the states into a Thai bank account and just keep my bank statements every month for every month throughout the year so I can verify my monthly income next time I do my extension in January 2020.  I mean I’m probably just gonna use the money I transfer over here to pay bills anyway and do whatever with the rest or just save what’s leftover.  This actually might be good for me because it’ll force me to budget myself better because I’ll just spend the money that I transfer to a Thai bank account and then save the money that I leave in my bank in the states because I make more than double the minimum monthly income requirement so I might as well use this situation to my advantage.  There’s always a bright side to everything even though it will be something extra we have to do such as opening the account here and then remembering to transfer at least the minimum monthly income requirement every month on payday.  

And at least I know that when I do my extension this time in January 2019 they should still accept my income affidavit this one last time according to what the United States Embassy has put out officially.  The United States Embassy said that it’s still valid at immigration for up to six months after the day it’s completed, at least for American citizens anyway and I’m sure it’s probably the same for everyone else as well but I don’t know what’s going on with Denmark.  The United States Embassy actually told me via email that our income affidavits will still be valid for up to six months after the date it’s completed going into the new year I actually have the official word in writing and they said that they got that information from Thai Immigration Bureau Officials.  They’ve also said that they are supposed to be supporting early renewals but they don’t specify how early but I might try to do it in December if they’ll let me.  If not according to the official guidance the income affidavit should still be valid in January since I’ll be well within 6 months because I’m getting my income affidavit done next week I have the appointment scheduled and I confirmed with the US embassy today via email that the current official guidance has not changed and that income affidavits for US citizens are still valid for up to six months after the date it’s completed.  

So I really don’t understand what’s up with Denmark because even the Australian Embassy is still doing it till January 7th I believe their website says.  

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

When will we here of similar curtailment of affidavits from Asian and Middle Eastern countries' embassies?  So far, this looks targeted. 

I don't think most Asians (except Japan may be) and ME citizens retire in Thailand. They just come here for fun and frolics. 

• Like 1

This is the first embassy to stop issuing the letters with immediate effect, so perhaps a Danish citizen will be the first to test what Thai Immigration will do when one tries to use the income method with proof but without the required embassy income letter.

I know what I’m gonna do for next time in 2020 when they totally stop accepting the letter.  Next payday I’m gonna open a Thai bank account and just start transferring probably half of my monthly pension payments every month from my bank in the states into a Thai bank account and just keep my bank statements every month for every month throughout the year so I can verify my monthly income next time I do my extension in January 2020.  I mean I’m probably just gonna use the money I transfer over here to pay bills anyway and do whatever with the rest or just save what’s leftover.  This actually might be good for me because it’ll force me to budget myself better because I’ll just spend the money that I transfer to a Thai bank account and then save the money that I leave in my bank in the states because I make more than double the minimum monthly income requirement so I might as well use this situation to my advantage.  There’s always a bright side to everything even though it will be something extra we have to do such as opening the account here and then remembering to transfer at least the minimum monthly income requirement every month on payday.  

And at least I know that when I do my extension this time in January 2019 they should still accept my income affidavit this one last time according to what the United States Embassy has put out officially.  The United States Embassy said that it’s still valid at immigration for up to six months after the day it’s completed, at least for American citizens anyway and I’m sure it’s probably the same for everyone else as well but I don’t know what’s going on with Denmark.  The United States Embassy actually told me via email that our income affidavits will still be valid for up to six months after the date it’s completed going into the new year I actually have the official word in writing and they said that they got that information from Thai Immigration Bureau Officials.  They’ve also said that they are supposed to be supporting early renewals but they don’t specify how early but I might try to do it in December if they’ll let me.  If not according to the official guidance the income affidavit should still be valid in January since I’ll be well within 6 months because I’m getting my income affidavit done next week I have the appointment scheduled and I confirmed with the US embassy today via email that the current official guidance has not changed and that income affidavits for US citizens are still valid for up to six months after the date it’s completed.  

So I really don’t understand what’s up with Denmark because even the Australian Embassy is still doing it till January 7th I believe their website says.  

5 hours ago, JohnnyBD said:
6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I thought that as well, and was going to post it, but I checked and found this 

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, 

That is correct... you can get a 1-yr O-A visa in Thailand.

I flew in for 30-days visa-free, signed lease on condo, went to US embassy and got income affidavit then went to Thai Immigration and was granted a 3 mth O visa & 1-yr O-A visa both at the same time.

Also, met an American couple who just moved into our condo 1 month ago who's on their 3 mth O visa waiting until the 800k is seasoned before going back to get their 1-yr O-A visa

You cannot get a “1 year O-A visa” in Thailand.

You were granted a non ‘O’ visa as a prerequisite to an extension of stay, but you were not given “1-yr O-A”. You were given a permit granting a 1 year extension of stay.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The U.S. embassy can say what they like about whether the letters will be honored for six months, or not. But bottom line they have ZERO authority on the matter when the applicants actually go in with the old letters.

I have a feeling you are dead right here. Curious to see what happens after Jan 1st.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The U.S. embassy can say what they like about whether the letters will be honored for six months, or not. But bottom line they have ZERO authority on the matter when the applicants actually go in with the old letters.

That is going to be a problem at some offices and even among some IOs in the same office. I shall be going in  several months early starting in the New year and ask specifically what will be accepted and not- write down their name and position and hope for the best. I will try and find the IO who actually signs the Passport .  

However,  I find it  quite hard to believe that the Us Embassy would misrepresent this situation to us.  They have explicitly told me these letters will be accepted for 6 months. Unfortunately,  if Thai Imm decides not to honor the letter I will have spent money on the letter, travel,  etc.