What is your method to stay here (changes in the embassy letters)

Type of Visa/Extension method  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My question:  does anyone have personal experience renewing their extension with only 200k (as an old-timer)?   

There was a article and I think a link on the US Embassy website 

anyone that has lived continuously in the kingdom since Oct 1998 it applies 

52 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

There was a article and I think a link on the US Embassy website 

anyone that has lived continuously in the kingdom since Oct 1998 it applies 

It only applies to those who were living here using that extension of stay at that time - grandfathered - and once off or changed there is no getting back.

• Like 1

It looks as if around only 250-300 people have so far voted in the poll at the head of this thread.

Assuming that anyone who regularly uses Thai visa, and is concerned about the new income letters rules, has probably visited this thread, and probably voted. (OK, let assume just 50% have actually voted..!)

This suggests that at most only 600 people are aware of the changes via this website... perhaps other people have found out by other means.

But it still seems a very low number - compared to the total number of foreign retirees in Thialand... probably less than 1%.

I've spoken to a number of my friends, of various nationalities, some of who are totally unaware of any changes in progress.. Many say they use (or will in future use) the bank savings method, some who use the income method will definitely be impacted, a few others who use agents may yet be... 

But it does seem like these changes need to be better disseminated, or MANY people may only find out when they turn up at (or send their info to) their respective embassy.

1 minute ago, Geordieabroad said:

On the topic of what happens to the 800k lying in a Thai bank account when you pass away.

A German friend of mine passed away last July. He was hospitalised, and when it became obvious to him that he wasn't going to live till his next extension of stay date, he told his Thai wife to take 50,000 out of the ATM per day till the account was empty which she did. Shouldn't have to do things like that but it's better than your money ending up in the bank's or government's pocket.

Why not write a will (Thai lawyer).  6000 baht last time I checked.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

On the topic of what happens to the 800k lying in a Thai bank account when you pass away.

A German friend of mine passed away last July. He was hospitalised, and when it became obvious to him that he wasn't going to live till his next extension of stay date, he told his Thai wife to take 50,000 out of the ATM per day till the account was empty which she did. Shouldn't have to do things like that but it's better than your money ending up in the bank's or government's pocket.

somewhat off topic, but,

I have an account arrangement with Bangkok Bank,

savings account with ATM card and the account is in my name only (for immigration)

however, the lady I live with has full access to the account in the branch where I opened the account

this is done so in the event I should piss off suddenly

she can have the 800 000 partly through ATM withdrawals and partly over the counter withdrawals

On 11/15/2018 at 12:38 PM, Longcut said:

Thai immigration is not going to like it if a lot of expats change the extension category from retirement to marriage. 

It involves a lot more work for them. But, many might just have to.  They can then deposit 400K instead of the 800K. I currently use the income method for my retirement extension and I could deposit 800K into a Thai bank. But, I am thinking of changing my status so that I only have to deposit 400K. That way, if something happens I will only lose half. 

It is very unlikely you will ever lose your 400K/800K. I am considering switching from marriage to pension extension. The marriage extension is just such a pain in the hinter-side and  require 2 visits to immigration, while the pension option gets everything done in one day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

The marriage extension is very easy to do. Takes my wife about an hour to get the paperwork together now. We give to the agent, she does the rest. We show up and in and out in an hour or two. The next month, the agent takes our passport and we get it back the next day with an extension in it. Total cost is 3,000 baht for the agent. I would spend no longer than a one to two-hours maximum at the Immigration Office a year. Before, when I did things myself it was a nightmare. I always got held up for something.

Yesterday while at the Embassy Outreach in CM, many people were talking to each other and everyone was very upset with the letters being removed. A few people were packing up shop and leaving Thailand. Others were getting told to use agents (from other expats advising them) till this all died down or some form of understanding was reached. I looked at the demographics of people there and most would be between 65-80 and it would certainly be stressful for some to deal with. 

I felt like the baby there due to the massive age difference and I was thinking why was immigration taking a stand on this. The only reasoning I could come up with was either Thai Immigration wanted to know if most could afford medical treatment if needed (as we were not looking at young people) or targetted at people did not have the income they were talking about. 

I really do not know. I mean, you just cannot look at a person to know if they are wealthy and looking around the room yesterday, it was impossible to tell. I have to admit, us Australians are the sloppiest dressers you can imagine and are pretty happy to even show up to a formal meeting in relaxed clothing.

From what I could see, this was targeted at more so at the elderly population. I will admit, I forget about my age difference (49) and it was glaringly obvious to me (now), it is not people like me this was targetted at as I do not fit the demographic of being retired at a young age. Of the 30 odd people waiting for a letter, none would have been under 55-60 mark, so it was for me, a bit of a wake-up call.

My wife also said to me, she has other married friends in Thai specific forums that are married to younger guys but after a few years of living here, most these people leave Thailand to go to work back in their retrospective Countries. Very few do stay here at a younger age to live out a life here. She just told me outright, Thailand was perceived to be a tourist hub and not to be a retirement destination and she could well be right with how Immigration is thinking. More Chinese tourist in and harder requirements for Retirement or for the fact, you need to show more than flash money to show you can pay for a medical emergency.  

I am afraid you are right. It is because of this I am looking into the SRRV visa in the Philippines. 

2 hours ago, Longcut said:

I am afraid you are right. It is because of this I am looking into the SRRV visa in the Philippines. 

If you are retired military and have a DD-214. They even have a special version of the SRRV visa that cost considerably less. You can even ship $7,000 worth of household goods duty free. Google it, check it out. As much as I wanted to stay in Thailand. I am not going to lie down for them.

18 minutes ago, Longcut said:

If you are retired military and have a DD-214. They even have a special version of the SRRV visa that cost considerably less. You can even ship $7,000 worth of household goods duty free. Google it, check it out. As much as I wanted to stay in Thailand. I am not going to lie down for them.

I am not being critical,simply an observation. We all do what we have to do.

If the Philippines are better for you then by all means go, and if you can't afford to meet the requirements to stay in Thailand you have litle choice, as I said you do what you have to do, But if you are going to compromise your life, so that you will not keep 800,000 in the bank for three months sounds to me a bit of  cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I think you mean lie down for the American embassy.  Thailand hasn't changed anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you mean lie down for the American embassy.  Thailand hasn't changed anything. 

Actually immigration has changed what they will accept and Embassies are not able to meet the new requirements.  This is not an American Embassy issue (anymore than other Embassies that have or will have to take the same actions).

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually immigration has changed what they will accept and Embassies are not able to meet the new requirements.  This is not an American Embassy issue (anymore than other Embassies that have or will have to take the same actions).

If that was the case all the embassies would be doing the same thing instead of only 4. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not being critical,simply an observation. We all do what we have to do.

If the Philippines are better for you then by all means go, and if you can't afford to meet the requirements to stay in Thailand you have litle choice, as I said you do what you have to do, But if you are going to compromise your life, so that you will not keep 800,000 in the bank for three months sounds to me a bit of  cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I have absolutely no problem putting 800,000 in a Thai bank and actually have at least 3 times that much there already. We were planning on building a new house. But, things have changed. I certainly don't need someone like you to criticize me as to what to do with my money. I suspect a lot of this came about because people like you couldn't keep their noses out of other people's business.

3 minutes ago, Longcut said:

I have absolutely no problem putting 800,000 in a Thai bank and actually have at least 3 times that much there already. We were planning on building a new house. But, things have changed. I certainly don't need someone like you to criticize me as to what to do with my money. I suspect a lot of this came about because people like you couldn't keep their noses out of other people's business.

I believe the first thing I said was "I am not being critical "

and followed  by "We all do what we have to do. "

I don't know how less critical I can be .

If you have the money and Thailand is better for you , I don't understand why you will leave for the Philippines 

But if the Philippines are better for you the I believe I said  "If the Philippines are better for you then by all means go, "

I suggest you concentrate more on your reading and comprehension skills.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I believe the first thing I said was "I am not being critical "

and followed  by "We all do what we have to do. "

I don't know how less critical I can be .

If you have the money and Thailand is better for you , I don't understand why you will leave for the Philippines 

But if the Philippines are better for you the I believe I said  "If the Philippines are better for you then by all means go, "

I suggest you concentrate more on your reading and comprehension skills.

Maybe what I posted doesn't apply to you, I don't know. The part about veterans obviously applies to American veterans. I don't know you, or do I know where you are from. If what I wrote doesn't apply to you. Why is it that you need to hijack my posting and criticise it? I only posted it for information that maybe someone may be interested in. 

25 minutes ago, Longcut said:

You live in Florida. Why do you care?

4 minutes ago, Longcut said:

Maybe what I posted doesn't apply to you, I don't know. The part about veterans obviously applies to American veterans. I don't know you, or do I know where you are from. If what I wrote doesn't apply to you. Why is it that you need to hijack my posting and criticise it? I only posted it for information that maybe someone may be interested in. 

I am American and not a veteran, I did not hijack your post I simply replied to it, which is what the function of this forum is.

You said and I quote "As much as I wanted to stay in Thailand. I am not going to lie down for them. "  implying that you will leave out of spite you did not just offer information for veterans you also made a declarative statement, I did not "criticize" your information  simply your statement  , and like you offered my opinion.

If you believe that you are only entitled to your opinion then I am afraid you misunderstood the function of this forum. But if I am wrong in my above assessment then please by all means report me , the report fanction is on the top right corner of the post

I am American and not a veteran, I did not hijack your post I simply replied to it, which is what the function of this forum is.

You said and I quote "As much as I wanted to stay in Thailand. I am not going to lie down for them. "  implying that you will leave out of spite you did not just offer information for veterans you also made a declarative statement, I did not "criticize" your information  simply your statement  , and like you offered my opinion.

If you believe that you are only entitled to your opinion then I am afraid you misunderstood the function of this forum. But if I am wrong in my above assessment then please by all means report me , the report fanction is on the top right corner of the post

No I have no desire to report you. I don't lean that way. I also respect your opinion even if I disagree with it. 

8 minutes ago, Longcut said:

You live in Florida. Why do you care?

If this is directed at me,

I live both in Florida and Khon Kaen where i , with my wife make our home. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/?page=4

and have being posting in this forum for over ten years, 

I don't currently do extensions to stay because i work abroad and travel out of Thailand often enough not to need too. but this spring I will be retiring and spending my time full time in Thailand and will need to do extensions to stay, as such I follow these thread in trying to become as educated as possible in the subject.

This is all I will say on the subject to you, if you cant take a litle constructive criticism it is your problem not mine, I suggest the Moderators remove the bickering portion to this exchange with my apologies to them.   

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If this is directed at me,

I live both in Florida and Khon Kaen where i , with my wife make our home. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1003921-new-build-in-khon-kaen/?page=4

and have being posting in this forum for over ten years, 

I don't currently do extensions to stay because i work abroad and travel out of Thailand often enough not to need too. but this spring I will be retiring and spending my time full time in Thailand and will need to do extensions to stay, as such I follow these thread in trying to become as educated as possible in the subject.

This is all I will say on the subject to you, if you cant take a litle constructive criticism it is your problem not mine, I suggest the Moderators remove the bickering portion to this exchange with my apologies to them.   

Good, I am also from Florida and live in Khon Kaen. It is my hope that we meet one day.

I think I know you.

Edited by Longcut

1 minute ago, Longcut said:

Good, I am also from Florida and live in Khon Kaen. It is my hope that we meet one day.

I think I know you.

I am sorry if I upset you it was not my intent

I hope you don't go to the Philippines Next time I am in Khon kaen I will PM you and It would be my pleasure if you will let me buy you a beer.

I am sorry if I upset you it was not my intent

I hope you don't go to the Philippines Next time I am in Khon kaen I will PM you and It would be my pleasure if you will let me buy you a beer.

Not upset. Be happy to have a beer with you.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 6:52 PM, rodknock said:

i figure i am good till june 2020. embassy letter on 27dec. good for 6months. renew extension of stay in june 2019, 3weeks early takes me to 2020. if no new rules come out. i fly back to the u.s. once a year to see my daughter, i will just apply for another o-a visa and good for another year.

the only additional cost is the $200.00 visa fee and fingerprint charge.

Unless things have changed since 2015, the Non-Imm O-A is good for just short of 2 years if you work it right. Timing is everything.

Since the 1st year of the O-A is multiple-entry you could make arrangements to fly to the USA and see you daughter and return before the 'use by date' giving you almost 1 full year more. (This portion is not multiple entry.

I obtained my O-A for a total of $381. I was in LA and could drop off papers one day and pick up the next so I didn't have postal fees. The time is in the background check, medical cert and getting copies made of whatever documentation is required. About 2 weeks for background check if I remember right.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 7:35 PM, totally thaied up said:

The marriage extension is very easy to do. Takes my wife about an hour to get the paperwork together now. We give to the agent, she does the rest. We show up and in and out in an hour or two. The next month, the agent takes our passport and we get it back the next day with an extension in it. Total cost is 3,000 baht for the agent. I would spend no longer than a one to two-hours maximum at the Immigration Office a year. Before, when I did things myself it was a nightmare. I always got held up for something.

Yesterday while at the Embassy Outreach in CM, many people were talking to each other and everyone was very upset with the letters being removed. A few people were packing up shop and leaving Thailand. Others were getting told to use agents (from other expats advising them) till this all died down or some form of understanding was reached. I looked at the demographics of people there and most would be between 65-80 and it would certainly be stressful for some to deal with. 

I felt like the baby there due to the massive age difference and I was thinking why was immigration taking a stand on this. The only reasoning I could come up with was either Thai Immigration wanted to know if most could afford medical treatment if needed (as we were not looking at young people) or targetted at people did not have the income they were talking about. 

I really do not know. I mean, you just cannot look at a person to know if they are wealthy and looking around the room yesterday, it was impossible to tell. I have to admit, us Australians are the sloppiest dressers you can imagine and are pretty happy to even show up to a formal meeting in relaxed clothing.

From what I could see, this was targeted at more so at the elderly population. I will admit, I forget about my age difference (49) and it was glaringly obvious to me (now), it is not people like me this was targetted at as I do not fit the demographic of being retired at a young age. Of the 30 odd people waiting for a letter, none would have been under 55-60 mark, so it was for me, a bit of a wake-up call.

My wife also said to me, she has other married friends in Thai specific forums that are married to younger guys but after a few years of living here, most these people leave Thailand to go to work back in their retrospective Countries. Very few do stay here at a younger age to live out a life here. She just told me outright, Thailand was perceived to be a tourist hub and not to be a retirement destination and she could well be right with how Immigration is thinking. More Chinese tourist in and harder requirements for Retirement or for the fact, you need to show more than flash money to show you can pay for a medical emergency.  

Was this the US Consulate Outreach at Chiang Mai University? I thought the date was Nov 20 for this?

Did I miss something along the way?

10 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Was this the US Consulate Outreach at Chiang Mai University? I thought the date was Nov 20 for this?

Did I miss something along the way?

Australian Outreach. It was quite busy in fact with people getting the last letter. Like I said, very little was said to us about anything. I think Immigration changed what they wanted and as time goes by, we will see more Embassies put under the thumb. I think this will just not be four. The Embassy cannot give us what they require and they have as we all know, no way proving what we earn 100%. I did my 90-day report this week and got told 800/400K in the bank by both my agent and Immigration. I feel that Immigration has us now in a spot they can control and for them, saying nothing is best for them as it gives them all the power to deem on a case by case issue, what they want for each individual. Just my own thoughts.

Edited by totally thaied up

16 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Australian Outreach. It was quite busy in fact with people getting the last letter. Like I said, very little was said to us about anything. I think Immigration changed what they wanted and as time goes by, we will see more Embassies put under the thumb. I think this will just not be four. The Embassy cannot give us what they require and they have as we all know, no way proving what we earn 100%. I did my 90-day report this week and got told 800/400K in the bank by both my agent and Immigration. I feel that Immigration has us now in a spot they can control and for them, saying nothing is best for them as it gives them all the power to deem on a case by case issue, what they want for each individual. Just my own thoughts.

there is a US Consulate meeting soon. I'm US

I'm not really interested in laying blame I just want to find out what my options are.