What is your method to stay here (changes in the embassy letters)

Type of Visa/Extension method  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use the 800K/400K method, as I have here the better interest rate as in a bank back in Swiss.

Additional I feel more comfortable when I have some spare money for a fast use if needed.

@admin thanks for delete the second poll, as I had a timeout and then send it a second time ????

• Like 1

I used income affidavit (US) for my initial in 2016 and yearly extensions in 2017 & 2018. I have pension well over 65k, but Jomtien Immigration would not accept my pension and said I had to have the income affidavit from US embassy... I will use 800k bank account in Sep 2019 unless they (TI) starts accepting pensions.

Edited by JohnnyBD

18 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

I used income affidavit (US) for my initial in 2016 and yearly extensions in 2017 & 2018. I have pension well over 65k, but Jomtien Immigration would not accept my pension and said I had to have the income affidavit from US embassy... I will use 800k bank account in Sep 2019 unless they (TI) starts accepting pensions.

Ditto.. used the Embassy letter since 2009 but unless things change with Imm then it will have to be the cash in bank

• Like 1

I initially used the 800k in the bank when doing a retirement extension a few years back. Then changed to income letter (BE) for the last 3/4 years as it was an easy process (more so being able to email the docs).

With the BE discontinuing the IL I have time before my next extension date (May19) to see what options are available going forward. In any event, will apply for the BE Letter by 12 December to leave that as a possible option for next year.

I receive a yearly lump-sum private pension in November each year well in excess of the minimum requirement and can either arrange the monthly inflows (if an option) or place 800k in the bank for 3 months ahead of the extension date around Jan/Feb then, from May, use that up to my next pension payment. So will see what transpires by end January and decide at that time. Extending the 'seasoning' time to, say, a full year with no monthly income option would need a rethink.

Well, I was hoping to use the UK Embassy letter for my next extension but it looks as though this will not work because of the unfortunate fall of the dates.

My next extension is not due until 22 July so i would, normally, apply 30 days earlier, on 22 June.  I can get an Embassy letter by applying by 12 December but what the issue date would be is uncertain.  As the Embassy say that they will provide the letter 'within 10 working days' it is entirely possible that the issue date would be before 22 December.  I asked the Embassy if they could post-date the letter but they will not.  What you get is what you get! 

You can see the potential problem here.  Jomptien Immigration will allow extensions to be done 30 days early and I had heard that 45 days was allowable under some circumstances.  However, when I asked about this today - I was there for a 90-day report - the lady assistant on the retirement desk - admittedly, not the actual IO -was quite adamant that 30 days was the maximum allowable.  This means that the Embassy letter would likely have exceeded its 6-month life span by the time that I applied.  Bummer!!

Looks like the 800k in the bank route is the only viable option - unless Thai Immigration alters its stance on what is acceptable proof of income.  I can provide bank statements going back 14 years - both UK and Thai banks - but, as we know, at present these mean nothing without the Embassy letter.

We really need some decision by TI as soon as possible - always assuming that they are willing to change anything.  I really would prefer to leave my 800k invested where it currently is, rather than deposit it in a Thai bank.  If I have to do this, I will, but it can't be done overnight - takes time to liquidate investments.  I have time enough right now but I shall have to decide what to do by the end of the year.

Anyone asked the same, or similar question at Jomptien?

• Like 1

I used to use the 800k method in the bank, but over the last three years have reverted to the income verification letters from the NZ embassy, mainly because I didn't want to have to break my term deposits in NZ in order to bring the 800k over here. 

This mainly because the interest rates I was getting were between 3.5 and 3.75% per annum and breaking a term deposit can result in a break fee.

I suspect the NZ embassy will revert as the other embassies have done, so it is back to the 800k method – – no real problems other than being able to time my term deposits to give me the available funds when I want them.

Thai immigration is not going to like it if a lot of expats change the extension category from retirement to marriage. 

It involves a lot more work for them. But, many might just have to.  They can then deposit 400K instead of the 800K. I currently use the income method for my retirement extension and I could deposit 800K into a Thai bank. But, I am thinking of changing my status so that I only have to deposit 400K. That way, if something happens I will only lose half. 

Edited by Longcut
  • Like 1

I use the 800k in the bank method but I had been planning to transition to the combination method for my next extension.

But being a U.S. national that will be stopping issuing income letters by the end of this year, sadly I now plan on using the 800K method again next time.

This doesn't totally mess me up, but I was looking forward to being able to spend down a significant chunk of the 800K without need to replenish. Oh well!

Are there going to be reasonable ways to use an income method going forward?

Nobody knows.

Will the combination method be preserved for retirement extensions?

Nobody knows.

You should have included the combination method in your survey.

I want to also add that people still getting income letters from the U.S., U.K, and Australia? and expecting them to be good for SIX MONTHS, maybe think again.

I just read a credible report from JOMTIEN immigration (reports of interviews with the head chief) that starting next year Jomtien will only be accepting 800K bank applications for retirement and income letters will NOT be accepted at all after Jan 2019. So letters or not letters, the income method (and of course the combination method as well) OVER.

Of course like anything here, that can still change. 

Good luck!

Edited by Jingthing

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I use the 800k in the bank method but I had been planning to transition to the combination method for my next extension.

But being a U.S. national that will be stopping issuing income letters by the end of this year, sadly I now plan on using the 800K method again next time.

This doesn't totally mess me up, but I was looking forward to being able to spend down a significant chunk of the 800K without need to replenish. Oh well!

Are there going to be reasonable ways to use an income method going forward?

Nobody knows.

Will the combination method be preserved for retirement extensions?

Nobody knows.

You should have included the combination method in your survey.

I want to also add that people still getting income letters from the U.S., U.K, and Australia? and expecting them to be good for SIX MONTHS, maybe think again.

I just read a credible report from JOMTIEN immigration (reports of interviews with the head chief) that starting next year Jomtien will only be accepting 800K bank applications for retirement and income letters will NOT be accepted at all after Jan 2019. So letters or not letters, the income method (and of course the combination method as well) OVER.

Of course like anything here, that can still change. 

Good luck!

Do you have a link to the Jomptien reports?

Interesting - I was there, earlier today, finding out about applying early for a retirement extension, using the Letter Method, but nothing was mentioned about non-acceptance of such.  I didn't ask the direct question though.

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

I will use the letter for the last time as my renewal is in February and after that I will use the money in a Thai bank as my monthly income sometimes falls under the required amount.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

See this the problem. Too many people without the required income used the letter. This is perjury and it costed people who were doing the right to suffer. 

2 hours ago, cleverman said:

What people were doing is irrelevant. Every thing you want to know has been commented on thousands of times already. 

Oh really? 

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, I can't link to anything as the report if from ANOTHER forum and it is not OK to link other forum's here.

Rules say to not post links to other forums,

but is giving the name of the forum a problem ? :unsure:

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gaviny said:

If they are refusing to stop accepting letters in the year why don't they give advance notice now for people in my situation as my extension expires in Feb and it is now too late to season my 800000.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A very good question. Obviously it is draconian to change the rules in such a way that makes it impossible for many people to adjust in time. 

It would be helpful if we had an idea of the numbers of people who either do not have and will not have the 800k/400k in a bank for 3 months on Jan 1st. There will be many who will overstay and be fined if this issue is not resolved. There will also be many who will be forced to leave if they are unable to raise the required money in a very short time-frame. Many of those might be long-term residents, 10-20 years or more. How can they survive on a minimal pension if forced to return to UK or the EU? The relevant Embassies have a hand in creating this major headache and bear responsibility for not providing adequate notice. Is this an issue with the various Foreign Ministries?

• Like 1

Not more than 180 days in the country a year. It's all so tedious and boring. Have 800 thousand festering in a Thai bank waiting to be embezzled or lost in a crash? No thanks. I'm always astonished at those so keen to spend every last waking day of their time left on God's earth in a place with such a hostile attitude to foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hard to say until we know for certain what options will look like in future.

I have been using the income affidavit from my embassy method, but may end up using the Baht 800,000 in the bank method.

If immigrations accepts a record of foreign sourced deposits in a Thai bank exceeding Baht 800,000 over the preceding 12 months, I might go that route.