Plain packaging for cigarettes being introduced to discourage smoking

rooster59

Plain packaging for cigarettes being introduced to discourage smoking

By The Thaiger

152.jpg

PHOTO: Example of the changes to cigarette packaging now being implemented in Thailand

In the moves to modify polices relating to smokers in Thailand, some of the new legislation is directed towards manufacturer packaging

Cigarette packets will soon be plain and much less attractive under the new regulations approved by the National Tobacco Products Control Committee.

Public Health Minister Piyasakol Sakolsattayathorn says that the plain packaging will replace the current packaging. They say the current guidelines have been used for more than five years and become ‘familiar’ with smokers to the extent that it is ‘no longer effective’ in discouraging people from smoking or making people recognise the health threats from cigarette smoking.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/plain-packaging-for-cigarettes-being-introduced-to-discourage-smoking

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-17

hasnt worked anywhere else , what could possibly make them think it will work here ?

its not really to there benifit either , less income from tax .

but , they still pretend to have your best interest at heart while they tax you to death .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Pity you didn't think of it whilst you were chomping on them for about 35 years.

Quote from another post " I was a smoker for about 35 years".

Let people lead their own lives, I used to smoke, but nothing worse than a reformed smoker babbling on about it.

Tis true I was a smoker for 35 years. And, it is true that I quit.

Other than petty stupid, whiny BS on your part... 

What does that have to do with the tax on cigarettes? Or the packaging of cigarettes?

• Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Tis true I was a smoker for 35 years. And, it is true that I quit.

Other than petty stupid, whiny BS on your part... 

What does that have to do with the tax on cigarettes? Or the packaging of cigarettes?

If you were still smoking and "your" 500% tax was imposed YOU would be on here shouting about it...????

• Like 2

I think the Health Dept in Thailand have far more important issues to address rather than following up on a first world countries about packaging.

How about 

Banning Lao Khao first   (Local poison in a bottle)

Ensuring all bike riders wear PROPER helmets (at least on main high speed roads)

The cost to the country of this is astronomical & prevents brain surgeons from getting on with 

the work they should be doing

5 hours ago, transam said:

If you were still smoking and "your" 500% tax was imposed YOU would be on here shouting about it...????

Hmm... you know, you are likely correct. Almost certainly correct.

However, two major things in my world have changed, and when my 'facts' change, I change my mind if/as needed.

In the last year since I quit, my health has improved dramatically. My ability to breathe has improved drastically, and it is because I stopped smoking; there is no doubt whatsoever that there is a direct 'cause and effect'. The second major change is that a close friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago, and he got it from smoking. He has gone back to his native country for treatment and to spend the rest of his life in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices.

I make no apology in thinking that taxes should go way up to discourage and/or prevent people from smoking. If you disagree, then we disagree.

For what it is worth, I don't like reformed smokers blathering about it much either; I will point out that the member who quoted me as a reformed smoker of 35 years took those comments from the "Stop Smoking" section of the Forum, where they belong and where they should have stayed.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hmm... you know, you are likely correct. Almost certainly correct.

However, two major things in my world have changed, and when my 'facts' change, I change my mind if/as needed.

In the last year since I quit, my health has improved dramatically. My ability to breathe has improved drastically, and it is because I stopped smoking; there is no doubt whatsoever that there is a direct 'cause and effect'. The second major change is that a close friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer a few weeks ago, and he got it from smoking. He has gone back to his native country for treatment and to spend the rest of his life in and out of hospitals and doctor's offices.

I make no apology in thinking that taxes should go way up to discourage and/or prevent people from smoking. If you disagree, then we disagree.

For what it is worth, I don't like reformed smokers blathering about it much either; I will point out that the member who quoted me as a reformed smoker of 35 years took those comments from the "Stop Smoking" section of the Forum, where they belong and where they should have stayed.

Have a nice day.

Many folk have vices, jobs, hobbies etc that could be risky, that is an individuals decision, not yours or mine, we are free men and women that should be left alone to do what we want and not lectured too by a born again whatever..????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't really have a horse in this race reference the blanking out of the cigarette packets. I have been using cigarette cases for more than 20 years now, since moving to Thailand in fact. I always found the 'soft' packets always ended up getting crushed in my pockets.

230976392_Smokingcase.jpg.98112e64618bf4deee2c33b2ef31418b.jpg

I do hope they realize that it will actually make it cheaper for the companies to package their product as they will not have to embed the logos any more and the reduction of colour on the packets will help as well. I could never understand how doing something like blanking packets makes any difference to the users.

For anyone interested, cigarette cases (like the one above) are more available today than they were 5 years ago. I have modded the engraving on my Zippo for the picture to stay within the rules; this engraving is not so easy to come by though...................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, z42 said:

Jesus wept, and the rationale for thinking this pony idea is going to work is????

It won’t work and they know it. But they can say look at us, we’re making a real effort here, while cashing in on the side.

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Plain packaging for cigarettes being introduced to discourage smoking..."

Good!

However, if you want to reduce smoking, whack them with a 500% tax increase as well.

Smoking kills.

End of.

Up to them.Lets whack you with tax on your favorite products 

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Plain packaging for cigarettes being introduced to discourage smoking..."

Good!

However, if you want to reduce smoking, whack them with a 500% tax increase as well.

Smoking kills.

End of.

Guess you never did drugs before

8 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I don't really have a horse in this race reference the blanking out of the cigarette packets. I have been using cigarette cases for more than 20 years now, since moving to Thailand in fact. I always found the 'soft' packets always ended up getting crushed in my pockets.

230976392_Smokingcase.jpg.98112e64618bf4deee2c33b2ef31418b.jpg

I do hope they realize that it will actually make it cheaper for the companies to package their product as they will not have to embed the logos any more and the reduction of colour on the packets will help as well. I could never understand how doing something like blanking packets makes any difference to the users.

For anyone interested, cigarette cases (like the one above) are more available today than they were 5 years ago. I have modded the engraving on my Zippo for the picture to stay within the rules; this engraving is not so easy to come by though...................:thumbsup:

Awhile back in the USA some of the more major cigarette producers actually backed a ban on advertising. Their thinking was if you are like Marlboro and Camel you already have great brand recognition. 

In this way the big boys can avoid new advertisements and cool logos and competing brands. 

They need nothing more than people to continue being addicted. How about give away nicotine gum which probably costs nothing to produce but is eye watering expensive at places like Boots. 

I have yet to meet a single person in Britain who thinks that plain packaging is anything other than a stupid idea.

By all means campaign against smoking , restrict smoking access , tax cigarettes to the hilt.

These are methods that work in reducing consumption , plain packaging does not , its just a pointless gesture.

The majority here seem to think it's a worthless exercise but IMHO it does do a little to cull brand adoption and recognition in the young who are very brand susceptible.

It won't do anything for a long term brand loyal smoker but I don't think that's who it is aimed at.

If it cuts young smoker adoption by even a tiny percentage its going to have a corresponding benefit in terms of national health - its also a good governance statement by Thailand as it marks that it does not intend for tobacco taxation to be a large part of its future tax income generation.

Full disclosure - I am whinging ex smoker of 30 years who luckily still seems to have his health, fingers crossed

Edited by MRToMRT