Tweedle dee

Train spotting! 

As long as it is subtitled for English speakers

How about these cult films:

The Last Executioner

Pi

????

and my fav:

Incubus, starring William Shatner, filmed entirely in Esperanto!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anything by Almadovar

Le Vistieurs

Le Ripoux 

Les Choiristes

Betty Blue 

Like water for Chocolate

Jump the gun

Montenegro

Bliss (from the Peter Carey novel) my all time fave.

Not all of these are foreign lanfuage, but dont let subtitles get in the way of some serious bucket list flicks.

Remakes in English usually dont cut it.

Edited by Small Joke
  • Thanks 1

Polanski - 'The Tenant'.

A chilling story about man in Paris, renting a new apartment, and slowly losing his mind to cripling paranoia. It will shake you up, of you watch it alone, and you are in the right mood:

'Spoorloos',  also known as 'The Vanishing'

Dutch movie from 1988, absolutely terrifying tale:

Siskel and Ebert reviwing 'The Vanishing' 1988:

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

yeah...and folks always said that glaswegian was impossible to understand...

Erm, sorry folks. But Trainspotting is done with an Edinburgh accent, Glasgow is on the West of Scotland, Edinburgh is on the East and the accent is quite different. Begbie uses the term "ken" a great deal. "Do you ken that guy from Dundee", for example. It means do you know. Glaswegians do not use that term. 

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Erm, sorry folks. But Trainspotting is done with an Edinburgh accent, Glasgow is on the West of Scotland, Edinburgh is on the East and the accent is quite different. Begbie uses the term "ken" a great deal. "Do you ken that guy from Dundee", for example. It means do you know. Glaswegians do not use that term. 

the intention was to indicate that the Edinburgh/Leith accent is as unintelligible as glaswegian when someone said that Trainspotting needs subtitles...sorry if that was not clear...

Glasgow gets a lot of slaggin' off a lot of which is undeserved...

1 minute ago, tutsiwarrior said:

the intention was to indicate that the Edinburgh/Leith accent is as unintelligible as glaswegian when someone said that Trainspotting needs subtitles...sorry if that was not clear...

Glasgow gets a lot of slaggin' off a lot of which is undeserved...

I was born there and some of it is quite deserved. But the accents in Scotland are not often heard on TV around the world, so it can be difficult for people to understand. Subtitles make sense. The Transporting crew are working class kids from the Schemes, so they have a tougher to understand accent than an Edinburgh lawyer. 

• Like 1

Look up Errementari on Netflix. Its real good as long as you have Pringles to go with it. Real good.

There was also this Portgugues or Spanish one about a photographer meeting demons, but it was a bit....um......lets say too Brokeback Mountain for me. But good, I just gagged and covered my eyes.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I was born there and some of it is quite deserved. But the accents in Scotland are not often heard on TV around the world, so it can be difficult for people to understand. Subtitles make sense. The Transporting crew are working class kids from the Schemes, so they have a tougher to understand accent than an Edinburgh lawyer. 

Seriously I get about half the dialogue. No matter what type of accent it was. Irish is easier.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Seriously I get about half the dialogue. No matter what type of accent it was. Irish is easier.

If there are subtitles available I try and add them to just about every movie I watch these days. It makes it easier for my Thai partner to understand the dialogue, and for me as well as my hearing isn't what it used to be.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If there are subtitles available I try and add them to just about every movie I watch these days. It makes it easier for my Thai partner to understand the dialogue, and for me as well as my hearing isn't what it used to be.

Me being me   TURN UP THE VOLUME ! ????

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

whatever, I'm from California and almost got stomped a couple of times by being in the wrong place but I don't hold it agin them (found meself in Rangers country and they mistook my californian for irish)...but I thought that the novel was about shenanigans in Leith?...oops! wiki sez that most of the fillum was shot in Glasgow...so maybe some of the dialog has got some glaswegian in the woodpile...Robert Carlyle (Begbie) is glaswegian and was probably ad libbing with the 'ken' business...

ah...the magick of cinema...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

whatever, I'm from California and almost got stomped a couple of times by being in the wrong place but I don't hold it agin them (found meself in Rangers country and they mistook my californian for irish)...but I thought that the novel was about shenanigans in Leith?...oops! wiki sez that most of the fillum was shot in Glasgow...so maybe some of the dialog has got some glaswegian in the woodpile...Robert Carlyle (Begbie) is glaswegian and was probably ad libbing with the 'ken' business...

ah...the magick of cinema...

Well friends ! 5.45 pm got my wee bottle of Hong and bottle of sugar free coke...its movie time ! on 2 recom's posted cheers ! TD

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tweedle dee said:

Well friends ! 5.45 pm got my wee bottle of Hong and bottle of sugar free coke...its movie time ! on 2 recom's posted cheers ! TD

wait till its dark! I never toss a movie on till its dark, then I can pretend Im in a theatre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

Spoorloos',  also known as 'The Vanishing'

Dutch movie from 1988, absolutely terrifying tale:

I think there was an American remake of this with Jeff Bridges and Keifer Sutherland and it was good and at the same time "disturbing" IMO.

Not Not sure these count as 'Cult' movies, but I think they have a much deeper commentary than is apparent at first viewing;

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Harry Brown.

The Book of Eli.

(and I'll add The Cook, the Thief, his wife and her Lover, Dark Star, the Third Man and Casablanca for style).

• Like 2