Where did you half thai kids end up in their adult years?

guest879

3 minutes ago, guest879 said:

well thanks to everyone giving their replies and being civil about it.  civility is something that seems to be in short supply in online forms where there is so much we can all learn from each other. 

Here is a reality check in civility, if you want your kids to be able to even remotely compete in 

todays technology driven modern world - DO NOT EDUCATE THEM IN THAILAND.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

In a good month? OMG sales....

People in sales are there by their degree lacking in credibility and marketability...

there is always sales by default yet fill a vital role in a capitalistic society....where would we be w/o Honda dealerships and orthopedic sales reps?

I take it you are replying to my post? "In a good month" refers to extra income from the antiques shop, my son is on a fixed salary with the company he works for full time.

1 hour ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Here is a reality check in civility, if you want your kids to be able to even remotely compete in 

todays technology driven modern world - DO NOT EDUCATE THEM IN THAILAND.

I was thinking my 7-year-old Thai/English son might like to be a tour guide or work in tourism.

He already has a nice house, a small rice farm, can operate a computer and smartphone as well as being bilingual.

Please tell me how not educating him in Thailand can further this career?

PS my English son in the UK (nearly 30) had the very best of British Educations, dropped out of university and has worked the past 8 years as a shelf stacker assistant manager in his local co-op, rents a house with 4 other guys.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I want my son to be happy, how he earns money is irrelevant.

Doctors have the highest suicide rate of any profession in the world.

I don't believe I've ever met a nurse that wasn't struggling financially.

Presumably whatever you did in your home country didn't make you happy, else you wouldn't be living here.

It's a complete mystery to me, how guys that couldn't manage in their home countries think their kids will do better.

Being educated in the west gives them later easier options in life. Being educated through the Thai educationsystem hardly gives them any options. Disregarding that is just selfish. 

• Thanks 2

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, BritManToo said:

I'd like my son to have the chance to own his own home without slaving away all his life, and losing said home to a woman he mistakenly thinks loves him. So that country will be Thailand and not the UK.

My kids back in the UK don't seem to be having much fun or success, a couple of them are over 30 and own nothing but debt.

What age did you abandon them?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

According to the Thai "bible", they should be supporting you till your last breath....

My 20-year-old Thai daughter (2nd year uni) is already talking about sharing her wage with me.

I don't need her money, but I wouldn't mind a bit of looking after as I get older.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

My 20-year-old Thai daughter (2nd year uni) is already talking about sharing her wage with me.

I don't need her money, but I wouldn't mind a bit of looking after as I get older.

She's obviously the kind of offspring one hopes to get: not to exploit her ever, but appreciating that SHE appreciates what went on for the last 20 years. Well done, BritManToo!

Imagine if Tiger wood's dad had allowed his mother to raise him in Thailand, he would have ended up being a deadbeat nobody just wasting away in Thailand who most Thai's would never want to accept that he too is thai, Imagine if chrissy tiegan's (Supermodel) dad had let her mother raise her in Thailand, she would be at maximum a an english teacher somewhere in thailand who's at most been an extra in a few thai commercials.

Imagine if...well I guess you already get the point.

There is no half thai child that was raised in Thailand that ended up being a somebody in the world. #fact.

The thai government has weirdly created a system that destroy's creativity. Creative people come out here and get their dreams crushed by a lot and mostly the "oh we are thai people, we don't do it like this, you can not come here and do it like that, must be the thai way". And this country has suffered a huge exodus to of creative people who move to places where creativity prospers.

If you're from a western country, at worst case scenario, make sure your kids spend their formative years "12 to 16" in the west, even if you can't be there with them keep them in a dormitory and fly them back to thailand during the long holidays.

A half thai kid can not run for political office in thailand, or become the head of a government ministry, or political party, cannot join any of the thai military forces, the list is endless, they can NEVER DREAM BIG in Thailand, by keeping them here their entire life you have probably set an unbreakable glass ceiling for them, and locked them out of a potential possibility of achieving greatness.

And hey! not all the foreigners who came here to Thailand came because they wanted to give their child a great upbringing. For most, it's about having a different experience and half thai kids are some of the perks. Well, there are worst places in the world to be trapped with a wife and baby ey! - a child raised completely here is not exactly in hell - it could be worse.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, GarryP said:

I don't know why you would be disappointed. You should be proud. Thai schools need teachers like these. Teachers who have traveled seen the outside world and have an international perspective. Earning a high salary isn't everything. 

Both of them rely on me to subsidise their lifestyle, I find nothing in that to be proud of.

• Like 2

Our two were born and raised in the US.  Don't speak Thai.  Older one had a full scholarship to engineering school for a couple years, then was called to active duty in the Marine Corps.  He was killed in action in Iraq at age 20.  Young one got an associate degree in technology.  He's doing OK as a machinist. Smart kid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Our two were born and raised in the US.  Don't speak Thai.  Older one had a full scholarship to engineering school for a couple years, then was called to active duty in the Marine Corps.  He was killed in action in Iraq at age 20.  Young one got an associate degree in technology.  He's doing OK as a machinist. Smart kid.

Sorry for your loss, Damrongsak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jessebkk1 said:

A half thai kid can not run for political office in thailand, or become the head of a government ministry, or political party, cannot join any of the thai military forces, the list is endless, they can NEVER DREAM BIG in Thailand, by keeping them here their entire life you have probably set an unbreakable glass ceiling for them, and locked them out of a potential possibility of achieving greatness.

Like most of your post, you are completely wrong.  Not sure where you get your very biased (and wrong) info from.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

There is no draft, so either he was in the reserves or he enlisted.

*Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

We have 3 kids, 2 half Thai and my full Thai stepson who moved to the US at 5.

Stepson is 30, engineering degree from a US University and a six figure salary. Youngest is in a Master's Degree program at a US University. All fully educated in the US where education costs at quality institutions are much more reasonable than in Thailand.

I would never raise a child in Thailand. Even if I could afford the cost of 16 years in International schools the kids of my former Thai clients who went that route had a hi-so, privileged attitude that I found to be distasteful. I wouldn't want my kids to turn out that way. All of my kids did plenty of menial chores and had minimum wage manual labor jobs while growing up in the US to keep themselves grounded and appreciate the benefits in bettering themselves.

However all of my kids are proud of their Thai heritage, all have Thai citizenship and Passports, and all love visiting our second home in Thailand. But I doubt that any of them will choose to live in Thailand during their working careers, unless they chance upon a job with a western company requiring them to relocate in Thailand.

IMO Thailand is a great place to visit, a great place to work temporarily as a young single person, and a great place to retire. But I'm glad I didn't raise my children in Thailand.

As an engineer that grew up in a small town in a small state Rhode Island, I love your post.  Thailand can be great, but the opportunities are so limited and the percentages are against a kid being competitive by most objective standards.  The education is far far from a decent standard.  Quiet village life?  Simple life?  Possible but very difficult. 

My step daughter  (full thai) has been attending an International School for her 1st year of high school, we don't pay massive fees because she is very smart, and received scholarships( both at primary and now) She is very diligent and spends her holidays  attending extra classes and English camps. She is receiving awards for computer programming. I feel I am very lucky, because she is very much her mother's daughter and I know she will succeed in life. I intend to have her attend university in Australia, or Singapore, but that will be her choice.

11 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

My kids in Thailand are really happy, loving and sharing.

My kids in England are miserable, greedy and selfish.

Greed is the way of the west.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Early education is a key to success.  Older boy went to private school in the US for 7 of the first 8 years.  By the time he went to public high school he already had it knocked.  Took all kinds of advanced placement classes and did well enough to get a scholarship at Virginia Commonwealth University.  And we/he didn't even apply for one.  They just found him one.

Young one only lasted a few years in the private school before getting kicked out.  Hard-head and a bit of difficulties early on.  But it helped.  Got kicked out of public high school for a transgression and had to get an equivalency degree.  He went on to community college and kicked ass. Graduated Summa Cum Laude with an associate degree.  Technical stuff.  Not making big bucks ($50K USD/yr) but he hasn't been at it all that long.  He's 29.

I have spoken to my daughter and suggested that she become a young soldier and go to Harrogate college and train for a trade with the British army. as they need and train many people as there are lots of trades that don't involve bullet catchers. Plus get paid to learn and have a bright future away from Thailand.