Where did you half thai kids end up in their adult years?

guest879

Our two children were both brought up in Libya in an international school, speak three languages and both went on to study abroad when they finished school.

To my great disappointment, both of them chose to come back to Thailand and take up teaching jobs in the North-East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of our friend’s kids who went to international school here ends up going back to their home country for university/high school.....about 50% of the families made it a joint move and the rest of the parents split their time  living in Thailand and their home country....

their kids’ futures have a much better probability in their home country given that they follow the university/ professional career route....

there will be small exceptions usually self employed (only option) but just ask yourself this question - do you want your son or daughter to be a doctor nurse lawyer engineer manager or any other white-collar career professional in Thailand or in the West?

the answer becomes obvious....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Our two children were both brought up in Libya in an international school, speak three languages and both went on to study abroad when they finished school.

To my great disappointment, both of them chose to come back to Thailand and take up teaching jobs in the North-East.

I don't know why you would be disappointed. You should be proud. Thai schools need teachers like these. Teachers who have traveled seen the outside world and have an international perspective. Earning a high salary isn't everything. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Them not being raised in Thailand is a bit of a disservice to them.

Being raised in Thailand and educated in an International school (before university in the West) gives them natural bilingualism and biculturalism. A fantastic future professional network, and fantastic employment opportunities with foreign MNC in Thailand, if they so wish, or a full range of professional advantages that monolingual/cultural don't have. While being Int. school educated with univeristy degrees from the West also give them great opportunities in the West, should they want that. 

They're missing out on fantastic opportunities. 

you have some good points there,

in particular, re bilingualism

not good when parents don't see to children being bilingual

• Like 1

My daughter, born in the UK, returned to Thailand when she was 5 and went through the Thai education system for what it's worth.  When she was 18, moved back to the UK alone (though she had a friend in London).  Has been in London for 2 years and is doing very well.  Doesn't regret her decision.

If you look at TV adverts and 'soaps' here, many of the actors are leuk krungs!  Used mainly because of their looks I imagine.

• Thanks 2

I have two young children here, one a full Thai stepson, and one son with my Thai wife. As I am old she will probably end up responsible for their education when i croak, although to spite everyone I hope to live to see them both fly the nest!

We are trying to bring them up trilingual, they already both speak fluent Thai and English, and we will try them on Chinese lessons later.

With those abilities they should be able to have a good choice of whether to stay in Thailand or work overseas, hopefully having had a happy, unpressured childhood if we can protect them from the crammer attitude that seems to prevail here.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like my son to have the chance to own his own home without slaving away all his life, and losing said home to a woman he mistakenly thinks loves him. So that country will be Thailand and not the UK.

My kids back in the UK don't seem to be having much fun or success, a couple of them are over 30 and own nothing but debt.

Well i lived in uk all my life until i retired here at 51. I bought my first uk home at 22.5 years old. I had no help either.

5 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Well i lived in uk all my life until i retired here at 51. I bought my first uk home at 22.5 years old. I had no help either.

Sounds like you are the exception. I don't know anyone that bought their first home at that age with solely their own money. Also house prices are very different to what they were 30 years ago, having increased by a much higher percentage than salaries.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TPI said:

Where in Thailand are there these opportunities?  Stay in NZ, use your Asian charm, marry as best as you can (love, if you have to) Come back to Thailand for a holiday!

I don't believe you can compare opportunities for girls with opportunities for boys in the western world.

Much easier for a girl to get ahead, take from men, make money from accusations. Very hard for a guy these days.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks to @guest879 for opening this interesting thread, for all of us having Thai-related children, and thanks for answers from various forum members...:wai:

well thanks to everyone giving their replies and being civil about it.  civility is something that seems to be in short supply in online forms where there is so much we can all learn from each other. 

• Like 2