Is it possible to move an extension of stay from one country's passport to the passport of another country?

I have tried to make a search for information about this, but did not find anything, so here is my question:

My stay in Thailand is based on a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

I am a citizen of two countries, and for various reasons I would like to use the hitherto unused passport for my future stay in Thailand.

Is it possible to transfer the stamp to another country's passport ?

Or maybe simply bring both passports, when I do my next extension, and ask the immigration officer to place the stamp in the passport, that is hitherto unused?

Both passports are issued same year, the info in the passports are of course the same except the id numbers.

They will not do it. Everything in their records is based upon the passport you used for the extension.

You would have to start all over again by using the other passport to enter the country with a new non-o visa and then apply for an extension.

• Like 1

ubonjoe was faster.

Absolutely unthinkable that an immigration officer could do such a manipulation of your records.

Don't wake up sleeping dogs and do not take both passports to the office.

"A" = current passport.

Before leaving and re-entering with new passport/nationality:

Do you have Thai bank accounts opened with "A"?

Do you have a rental contract opened with "A"?

Do you have a Thai driving license based on "A"?

How did you do your proof of income/funds for extension in the past?

How did you do proof of residence?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not do it. Everything in their records is based upon the passport you used for the extension.

You would have to start all over again by using the other passport to enter the country with a new non-o visa and then apply for an extension.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

ubonjoe was faster.

Absolutely unthinkable that an immigration officer could do such a manipulation of your records.

Don't wake up sleeping dogs and do not take both passports to the office.

"A" = current passport.

Before leaving and re-entering with new passport/nationality:

Do you have Thai bank accounts opened with "A"?

Do you have a rental contract opened with "A"?

Do you have a Thai driving license based on "A"?

How did you do your proof of income/funds for extension in the past?

How did you do proof of residence?

Thank you for the answers.

Well, in that case I will have to start all over again.

Only problem could be, that the thai embassy in Denmark,  (which is the country passport, I want to use in the future) probably will not issue me a Non-O visa, because my income is approx. 58,000 Baht / month after tax (80,000 Baht before tax), and they require 65,000 Baht month after tax.

but maybe I can get a new Non-O in Laos or Cambodia ?

Apart from that everything should be ok.

My bank accounts and driving license are based on my (now expired) danish passport, so should not be a problem, since I have a new, valid danish passport.

Edited by North

Since I have now found out, that I need to start all over again with a 90 days Non-O visa, maybe someone could tell me the easiest way to get one based on my prerequisites.

I have been thinking of, should I consider (after getting the non-O visa) to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or based on retirement ?

I now have the money needed for retirement (800,000 Baht), but they are not in my thai bank account yet.

What would you go for, if you were to choose, the "marriage route" or the "retirement route" ?

I am based in Isaan near Khon Kaen, and I would prefer not having to fly out of Thailand.

That probably leaves me with choices to go to Laos or Cambodia.

I have read posts from ubonjoe suggesting not to go to Vientiane, because they want financial proof as well as police clearance and a medical check.

So where to go, is it Savannakhet, and if yes, what documents do they require ?

Any suggestions ?

8 hours ago, North said:

What would you go for, if you were to choose, the "marriage route" or the "retirement route" ?

If you are married to a Thai you will not need any financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa at most nearby embassies and consulates. You could the non-o visa and then apply for the extension based upon marriage.

You could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage. You only need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You have no choice but to fly out and back to the country to do the passport swap. At land border crossings immigration on both sides of the border check for departure stamps for the other country. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are married to a Thai you will not need any financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa at most nearby embassies and consulates. You could the non-o visa and then apply for the extension based upon marriage.

You could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage. You only need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

You have no choice but to fly out and back to the country to do the passport swap. At land border crossings immigration on both sides of the border check for departure stamps for the other country. 

Thank you again, ubonjoe, for replying.

But can you elaborate on the last part of your reply about flying, not doing a land border crossing?

Will thai immigration not acknowledge, that I have two passports?

I could use passport 1 to travel to Vientiane, get the visa in passport 2 and leave again using passport 1 and then enter Thailand using passport 2 with the new non-O visa. I could show them both passports, so they can see the enter and departure stamps in passport 1.

do they not recognize dual citizenship at thai immigration?

22 minutes ago, North said:

But can you elaborate on the last part of your reply about flying, not doing a land border crossing?

Will thai immigration not acknowledge, that I have two passports?

I could use passport 1 to travel to Vientiane, get the visa in passport 2 and leave again using passport 1 and then enter Thailand using passport 2 with the new non-O visa. I could show them both passports, so they can see the enter and departure stamps in passport 1.

do they not recognize dual citizenship at thai immigration?

The will acknowledge you have 2 passports.

But they would not allow you enter the country using a passport that does not have departure stamp from the other country. It you departed Thailand you would not be able enter Laos unless the passport you were using did not have a stamp for Thailand in it. Same for when departing Laos and enter Thailand.

Many people have tried and had to go back to the other side of the border to get a departure stamp from the other country.

No problem by air since immigration do not look for the stamps.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But they would not allow you enter the country using a passport that does not have departure stamp from the other country. It you departed Thailand you would not be able enter Laos unless the passport you were using did not have a stamp for Thailand in it. Same for when departing Laos and enter Thailand.

Many people have tried and had to go back to the other side of the border to get a departure stamp from the other country.

OK. Understood, thank you.

I will fly, even I hate that!

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

2 hours ago, North said:

OK. Understood, thank you.

I will fly, even I hate that!

Two hours ago I wrote: "I will fly, even I hate that!"

But since I really really hate to fly, especially domestic flights and short flight to neighboring countries in Asia ( I am a safety freak about flying), I am still thinking of other ways to get this Non-O visa.

So I did a search on getting a non-O visa in Thailand, and found information about using a TM.86 or TM.87 to get one.

TM.86 seems to be for change of visa, whereas TM.87 is an application for getting a non-O visa

So it seems, that if I arrive in Thailand on a tourist visa, I can apply for a change of visa to a non-O (using TM.86), is this still possible?

( I have been looking at the website of the thai embassy in Denmark, and it seems I can obtain a tourist visa there )

And, if I arrive in Thailand on an visa-exempt 30 days arrival, can I then apply for a non-O visa using TM.87 ?

I am sure ubonjoe can answer my questions. but if anyone else here has answers,  Welcome to post :welcomeani:

And I found this post by ubonjoe about this subject:

"

You can apply for a change of visa status (TM86  form) at Jomtien immigration in Pattaya up to the last 15 days of your 60 day entry or 30 day extension of it.

You will need to meet the financial requirements to get an extension but if using the money in the bank option it only has to be in the bank on the date you apply. If using an income letter from your embassy it has been reported that they will want the consular officers signature verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."

full thread here:

I am currently not in Thailand, but when I return in a couple of weeks, I will be residing in Isaan, and the nearest office will be in Khon Kaen, and hopefully I can submit the TM.86 or TM.87 there ?

7 hours ago, North said:

I am currently not in Thailand, but when I return in a couple of weeks, I will be residing in Isaan, and the nearest office will be in Khon Kaen, and hopefully I can submit the TM.86 or TM.87 there ?

You could do it at Khon Kaen immigration. General requirement are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

I assumed you were still here in Thailand or I would of suggested getting a 30 day visa exempt entry using your other passport yesterday. Then doing the visa application at immigration or going overland to get a single entry non-o visa (Savannakhet would be the best).