• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 626

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

2. 305

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

3. 2,664

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

4. 10

Video: SpaceX rocket booster successfully lands in Texas after test launch

5. 1,070

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

6. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

7. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

8. 305

9. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

10. 8

11. 305

12. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

13. 305

14. 8

Scientists weigh up stratospheric sunlight barrier to curb warming

webfact

Scientists weigh up stratospheric sunlight barrier to curb warming

By Nina Chestney

2018-11-23T001831Z_1_LYNXNPEEAM005_RTROPTP_4_CLIMATE-CHANGE-GEOENGINEERING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Sun rays shine through trees in a forest on an autumn morning near Biere, Switzerland, September 26, 2018. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Spraying sun-dimming chemicals high above the Earth to slow global warming could be "remarkably inexpensive", costing about $2.25 billion a year over a 15-year period, according to a study by U.S. scientists.

Some researchers say the geo-engineering technique known as stratospheric aerosol injection (SAI) could limit rising temperatures that are causing climate change.

As yet unproven and hypothetical, it would involve the use of huge hoses, cannons or specially designed aircraft to spray large quantities of sulphate particles into the upper layer of the atmosphere to act as a reflective barrier against sunlight.

Total costs to launch a hypothetical SAI effort 15 years from now would be $3.5 billion, scientists at Harvard University said in a report published in the journal Environmental Research Letters, adding that average annual operating costs would be about $2.25 billion a year over 15 years.

Discounting other methods of deployment because of cost and feasibility, the research assumes a special aircraft can be designed to fly at an altitude of about 20km and carry a load of 25 tonnes.

After direct input from several aerospace and engine companies, the scientists said they have developed a design that could be suitable and could be ready to be deployed in 15 years, aiming to cut the rate of temperature change in half.

The scientists emphasised that this is merely a hypothetical scenario.

"We make no judgment about the desirability of SAI. We simply show that a hypothetical deployment programme commencing 15 years hence, while both highly uncertain and ambitious, would indeed be technically possible from an engineering perspective. It would also be remarkably inexpensive," the report said.

There are risks to such unproven potential technologies. Scientists have said SAI could result in negative consequences such as causing droughts or extreme weather in other parts of the world, harm crop yields as well as potential public health and governance issues.

It also does not address the issue of rising carbon dioxide emissions, the main greenhouse gas blamed for global warming.

Commenting on the study, Phil Williamson at the University of East Anglia said: "Such scenarios are fraught with problems - and international agreement to go ahead with such action would seem near-impossible to achieve."

(Reporting by Nina Chestney; Editing by David Goodman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-23
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Perhaps they could have used a reverse concoction of this in the 70's when "scientists" were telling us the new ice age was coming.

You could have at least used the word 'some' to keep your statement intellectually honest.

1081094822_predictediceage.PNG.b6b25d47cf56d1058b83e08763a69a14.PNG

• Like 2

Water, soil and air are equally poisoned.

Climate change/warming is linked to air, and it appears that this threat may strike us the latest.

Food (soil) and water poisoning are already translating into ever more cases of cancer, from an ever younger age, not to mention the disparition of animal species by the truckload.

Thus, while climate change/warming could well be the cherry on the cake, scientists may want to give priority to the soil and water issues, so that at least we could become extinct while still in good health!

And please don't come with solutions involving even more manmade chemicals!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, attrayant said:

You could have at least used the word 'some' to keep your statement intellectually honest.

Or I could have just written it as I did without saying, or even implying, it might be "all".

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Franko666 said:

And what about the people who quite like the warm weather as opposed to a mini ice age, what about crop production and plant life in general that prefers a warm climate to assist photo synthesis for better production, what about the increased cancer rates due to toxic chemicals in the atmosphere, need I go on. Let's get on the next stupid subject quick smart before the stupid greenies come out of the woodwork to talk about carbon dioxide being the killer life as we know it.............

Some like it hot!

Of course, if you forget all the inconvenient parts and only dream about the idea of growing pineapples in the UK, the whole thing may look appealing.

But don't forget the ever stronger hurricanes (lots of them these days), the constant floods and droughts in many parts of the world, the changes in seasons which the crops don't appreciate that much...

And especially don't forget that we are only in the early stages of the changes.

The Earth is now like a patient who has some fever, say 38 degrees C instead of 37, uncomfortable but bearable...it's when the patient's temperature reaches 40 that the situation really gets bad...

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Or I could have just written it as I did without saying, or even implying, it might be "all".

So in other words if just 2 scientists had written one paper espousing global cooling your remark would have been true and not misleading at all. Give us a break.

• Like 2

nothing new, theyve been testing this spray tech for decades on smaller scale. 

only knuckle heads use the word "conspiracy theorists" imo

its was all there to see for those who do research. now its coming to light.

Geo-engineering: Climate fixes 'could harm billions'

By David ShukmanScience editor, BBC News

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-25639343

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/24/us-scientists-launch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study

https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/

7 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

nothing new, theyve been testing this spray tech for decades on smaller scale. 

only knuckle heads use the word "conspiracy theorists" imo

its was all there to see for those who do research. now its coming to light.

Geo-engineering: Climate fixes 'could harm billions'

By David ShukmanScience editor, BBC News

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-25639343

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/24/us-scientists-launch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study

https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/

Got any evidence that "they've been testing this technique for decades on smaller scale."

The only link that  supports your contention is the last one which claims this testing is being done via.....wait for it...contrails. In other words... Chemtrails.

What's word would you prefer to be assigned to categorize the gullible and paranoid?

• Like 1

Why not recycled plastic bags filled with helium then ? Smother the stratosphere with them and in short time enjoy the new style of snow flakes all year round  as the extreme UV destroys them!

Give it a try by filling the  hole in the ozone layer  down Antarctica  way.

Weather  balloons make it up that high. So why not proliferate 7/11, Tesco etc bags?

Stratospheric  sulphates! As if acid rain  is no problem already!

• Like 1

How wonderful.  A permanently overcast, grey world.  This will be hilarious when they trigger a mini-ice age.  Then they'll think up tricks to thaw us back out.  What could possibly go wrong?

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"
309569329_NotNicetofoolMN.jpg.efa45083d477bfd5339762079e8ad0ff.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Got any evidence that "they've been testing this technique for decades on smaller scale."

The only link that  supports your contention is the last one which claims this testing is being done via.....wait for it...contrails. In other words... Chemtrails.

What's word would you prefer to be assigned to categorize the gullible and paranoid?

alteast quote me properly, i said "spray tech" has been tested for decades.

like I said, its all there for you to do your own research. Just because you're lazy does not mean others are paranoid????

10 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

alteast quote me properly, i said "spray tech" has been tested for decades.

like I said, its all there for you to do your own research. Just because you're lazy does not mean others are paranoid????

Yes. I misquoted you. Here is the correct quote:

"theyve been testing this spray tech for decades on smaller scale."

As I pointed out, only the last link provided any possible to that and it was about contrails.

And as the mods repeatedly point out to people like you, if you make a claim, it's incumbent upon you to provide the backup. To me that's just a matter of basic ethics.

Asking others to do the research is, at best, laziness on your part.  Not on the part of those who challenge your assertions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes. I misquoted you. Here is the correct quote:

"theyve been testing this spray tech for decades on smaller scale."

As I pointed out, only the last link provided any possible to that and it was about contrails.

And as the mods repeatedly point out to people like you, if you make a claim, it's incumbent upon you to provide the backup. To me that's just a matter of basic ethics.

Asking others to do the research is, at best, laziness on your part.  Not on the part of those who challenge your assertions.

atmosspheric spray technology has not been researched for decades? 

large crop dusting, cloud seeding, weather modification etc nothing new.

you line of "gotcha" replies remind me of Cathy Newman on ch4.remember her?

32 minutes ago, connda said:

Tropical forests use to grow in the Arctic.  How did 'man' cause that?  Answer?  Man didn't. 

This isn't the first time the Earth has been around the global warming block.  However, this time around the block there is big, big money to be made in the global warming business so it's beneficial to keep the masses terrified and feeling helpless.  Modifying the atmosphere on purpose - Lordy - some folks out there have a serious God-complex.

Speed...it is all a matter of speed!

Of course, Earth has known many different climates...it was once covered with ice!

The difference between then and now is the speed of change.

Earth's clock works on geological time, not on human time.

In geological time, a century is like a second for us...a significant change of climate happening over one or two centuries, linked with a significant change in the composition of the atmosphere, has never been recorded before...

There is clear direct link, shown in multiple graphics, between the massive release of carbon dioxyde since the industrial revolution, and the increase in temperature.

Of course, many also denied for decades that there was a connection between smoking and lung cancer...

If the climate changes, humans certainly don't!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Of course, Earth has known many different climates...it was once covered with ice!

In geological time, a century is like a second for us...a significant change of climate happening over one or two centuries, linked with a significant change in the composition of the atmosphere, has never been recorded before...

There is clear direct link, shown in multiple graphics, between the massive release of carbon dioxyde since the industrial revolution, and the increase in temperature.

Of course, many also denied for decades that there was a connection between smoking and lung cancer...

Actually, some of the same people are involved in both. Look up Steve Milloy. He was a denialist about the harm of second hand smoke and now about anthropogenic climate change.

And good luck trying to educate these people about the crucial role of rate of change. To them all that matter is the fact of change not the rate. I've tried pointing out that this is like saying a bank account that pays an interest rate of 1 percent is fundamentally no different than one that pays 10 percent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

atmosspheric spray technology has not been researched for decades? 

large crop dusting, cloud seeding, weather modification etc nothing new.

you line of "gotcha" replies remind me of Cathy Newman on ch4.remember her?

Not a matter of gotcha. First off, crop dusting has been a form of research? Cloud seeding and weather modification research has been about spraying tech? Possibly. But the fact is only one of the links you cited had anything at all to do with alleged spray tech and it was one that claimed contrails are really a subterfuge for some sort of sinister spraying technology. Why did you list such a bizarre link?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I disagree with the last  part.

Humans  do change.

They become more and more  like  cross bred ostriches  with each  passing decade !

17 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I disagree with the last  part.

Humans  do change.

They become more and more  like  cross bred ostriches  with each  passing decade !

What really matters is that you agree with the rest of my post...