Pattaya repairs 3 pump stations

Rimmer

Pattaya repairs 3 pump stations

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya repaired three vital pump stations suffering from damage and neglect.

Deputy Mayor Pattana Boonsawat led city workers to stations on Third Road, Bali Hai Pier and South Pattaya Nov. 15. They comprise half of the pump stations Pattaya utilizes to mitigate flooding.

The others are located at Lan Po Market in Naklua, the Pikplub Canal and Nongyai Temple.

The Third Road station had suffered the most damage, with vital parts suffering corrosion from acidic water, Pattaya officials claimed. The station plays a key role in keeping flooding down on Beach Road, as it receives water from both the Bali Hai and South Pattaya stations.

Most of the Third Road station had been out of service since Nov. 13 and the two South Pattaya stations also had numerous broken pumps due to neglected maintenance.

Of the 14 pumps at the Third Road station, seven were broken and the city did not have replacement parts. They had to be manufactured, leading to the delays, Pattana said.

A fire truck was called in to pump water out of the station before repairs could be completed.

The South Pattaya station has 10 pumps and the Bali Hai station nine. Officials did not specify how many of those needed repairs.

A contractor also cleaned and spruced up the landscaping around the pump stations.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-11-23

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

That will make the pumps feel better, maybe they will work harder.

An honest summary. 

Corrosion from acidic water? It is rainfall run off, if they had used the correct specifications in the first place this would not b the correct excuse.

Broken pumps due to neglected maintenance? Who would have thought? 

Spare parts need to be manufactured? It is a pump, surely the manufacturer will have some spares for commonly worn parts, or heaven forbid there are compatible parts available from other places. Even if the parts need to be manufactured, a reasonably competent engineering works could sort the bits in short order.

The major challenge is to find someone with a few working neurons in a position of authority.

It's very likely pumps from a certain country will be cheap knock-offs and no spares included in the purchase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes the local concept of maintenance is different.

In fact most of the outer circle folks in my Thai family simply don't accept the idea of maintenance.

Trouble with the water pump, family try to insist 'don't fix it, it will cost money and the house is now 7 years old anyway, just keep using an outside water truck to refill the ugly big black rubbish bins in the upstairs bathrooms, etc.' 

Son went ahead and got a tradesman to check the size of the pump needed and check the whole water system, they went to Global and agreed what pump to buy, all fitted and tradesman did some agreed minor repairs / maintenance to taps etc.

Son's in-laws gave him hell about his stupid actions, they claimed 'nobody ever did this before (maintain / change the pump) just leave things as they are and stop wasting money.

Much like the bypass with ball valves that I added when installing a filter on the outlet of the water tank so that the filter could be changed on-the-fly. The way the brother-in-law now sees it now is when the filter gets clogged, he just bypasses it, no need to change anything, problem solved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Much like the bypass with ball valves that I added when installing a filter on the outlet of the water tank so that the filter could be changed on-the-fly. The way the brother-in-law now sees it now is when the filter gets clogged, he just bypasses it, no need to change anything, problem solved.

Here's a quite different example; the big expensive near new multi functional printer / copier etc., in our office, still under warranty, stopped working. The break down was a serious problem because it was delaying the delivery of quality printing for on-going project work for our consulting clients.

I instructed the female admin. manager to get it repaired quickly under the warranty. A day later nothing had happened so I asked the admin. mngr. 'what's happening?'

She promptly produced some brochures for quite expensive new equipment. I said 'no, I want this one repaired under the warranty'. I could see she was holding back on something, then she said 'I don't want to call them and ask for repair because they will think our company is keenow (stingy)'.

I politely said either you call them and get a technician here today or I will call, and I mean now.

She disappeared then returned a few minutes later with 'I think it's not nice to call them because maybe the technician will come and he can't find the problem and he will lose face, so better to buy a new one.'

I instantly called the vendor and politely explained what details I knew, mentioned it was under warranty and I needed it repaired as fast as possible.

Within 40 minutes 2 young polite technicians arrived, I explained to them, they both instantly with animation said 'ru laow' Meaning in this scenario 'ahh I know already what's wrong'. Ten minutes later all fixed. They called their manager to report that it was fixed and I spoke to their manager and praised their abilities and nice attitude.

We hung up, then 1 of the young polite technicians said in broken English they have to go and service another machine in our building then they would come back to re-check. About 1 hour later sure enough then returned and no problems. 

How I handled the admin. manager is another story. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No need for him to change anything, you will do it!

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Here's a quite different example; the big expensive near new multi functional printer / copier etc., in our office, still under warranty, stopped working. The break down was a serious problem because it was delaying the delivery of quality printing for on-going project work for our consulting clients.

I instructed the female admin. manager to get it repaired quickly under the warranty. A day later nothing had happened so I asked the admin. mngr. 'what's happening?'

She promptly produced some brochures for quite expensive new equipment. I said 'no, I want this one repaired under the warranty'. I could see she was holding back on something, then she said 'I don't want to call them and ask for repair because they will think our company is keenow (stingy)'.

I politely said either you call them and get a technician here today or I will call, and I mean now.

She disappeared then returned a few minutes later with 'I think it's not nice to call them because maybe the technician will come and he can't find the problem and he will lose face, so better to buy a new one.'

I instantly called the vendor and politely explained what details I knew, mentioned it was under warranty and I needed it repaired as fast as possible.

Within 40 minutes 2 young polite technicians arrived, I explained to them, they both instantly with animation said 'ru laow' Meaning in this scenario 'ahh I know already what's wrong'. Ten minutes later all fixed. They called their manager to report that it was fixed and I spoke to their manager and praised their abilities and nice attitude.

We hung up, then 1 of the young polite technicians said in broken English they have to go and service another machine in our building then they would come back to re-check. About 1 hour later sure enough then returned and no problems. 

How I handled the admin. manager is another story. 

I want to hear the other story especially if it's spicy, whips restrainers latex etc etc