Family of Dublin man injured in horrific crash in Thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills

rooster59

Family of Dublin man injured in horrific crash in Thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills

By Mark O'Brien

0_Alan-Penrose.jpg

Alan Penrose (Image: GoFundMe)

He sustained serious injuries, including a head trauma

The family of a Dublin man who was seriously injured in a road accident in Thailand are appealing to the public for help in funding his medical care.

Alan Penrose, 35, from Raheny, suffered suffered multiple injuries in the terrifying crash on Thursday, November 15.

Full story: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/alan-penrose-dublin-gofundme-accident-13635140

IRISH Mirror: 2018-11-24

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Mentions a 'scrambler bike.'

Was he on it, hit by it?

Hit by a car when on a bike, helmet, insurance, licence?

I think the scrambler bike story was in Ireland mate.

I think you’re on the money regarding the injuries sustained, definitely sounds like he was riding/passenger on a bike 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I think the scrambler bike story was in Ireland mate.

I think you’re on the money regarding the injuries sustained, definitely sounds like he was riding/passenger on a bike 

Rides bikes at home where proper gear is required. Hits the sunshine and no apparent rules on helmets etc, maybe we're adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 5 but it's close enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Mentions a 'scrambler bike.'

Was he on it, hit by it?

Hit by a car when on a bike, helmet, insurance, licence?

That's a completely different story that happened in Darndale, a Dublin suburb.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

That's a completely different story that happened in Darndale, a Dublin suburb.

Read the paragraph about wife in Darndale.

Then the next paragraph that says he was rushed to hospital in Phuket.

So he had a bike accident in Ireland and they rushed him to Thailand?? 

Punctuation would be a wonderful thing, wouldn't it?

I'm still sticking to my idea he is a biker who had an accident in Thailand, on a bike, with a bike, and obviousy had no insurance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, missoura said:

It was suggested years ago to charge each tourist one dollar for accident insurance. This year that would be about $30 million bucks. Thailand could cover medical expenses for any tourists seriously injured and still put money in the Thai government's pocket. The slogan might go like this.

Our Money says you'll be Safe in Thailand

I think the concept might actually work...

It would certainly make the local Mercedes dealer happy !

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

How's your own isurance regarding mc accidents

I only drive a car here and always class A insurance. 

After 8 years on Thai roads I have only been involved in one minor incident , when i bike hit my right side. But luckily nobody was injured. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Are these Go-fund-me appeals genuine?  

Is there any liability if someone just makes up a story and gets money off strangers for nothing?

Also it seems people use them when they want money for some sob story situation, a situation which is usually of their own making, and they want perfect strangers to pay for their mistakes?  Is that right?

What a crazy world we live in now where people can't take any responsibility for their actions and depend on total strangers to bail them out. 

Say, I did not have enough money to get something I wanted.  Can I just make up a Go-fund-me story... like my kitten needs a brain transplant... and them I will get thousands of dollars for nothing?  

In the UK at least a false claim would be considered fraud , pretty sure a woman was convicted of this quite recently.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

And why aren’t drivers in thailand don’t have insurance when it is determined they are at fault...

tourist accident insurance is important but the other half is the insurance of the other driver which never seems to have....

All insurance is null and void if you are riding/driving without a license, helmet, drunk etc.

I think safe to assume the usual riding a bike with no license, no helmet etc, no amount of insurance in the world will cover that.

• Like 2