Thinking of renting a motorcycle in Pattaya? Watch this first....

webfact

5 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

The second time you show us this very same video? Why? 

Personally, for six years, I drive in Thailand a car and a motorbike. I never had anything that closely resembles an accident, OK I drive a little like a paranoiac,:smile: and think of nothing else but my driving, never forget my flashing when I turn. On the motorbike to the flashings I have added a beep like that, people hear me too. I never ever forget to look in my mirrors before turning. I slow down before each turn on the road if do not see the other side just in case something someone anything would be in my way in the middle of the road. Having driven two wheels since I was 14 years old including a big engine, to ride like I do I do not feel at all insecure, of course, I have a helmet all the time a real one, not a Thai cardboard' one LO.  And thank you not to tell me that I'm wrong about the danger, I know everything can happen to anyone everywhere.  But my fear of accident in everyday life is 0% sorry to disappoint the author of this article

HEY!!!! So you have learned to drive safely and you DON"T need the fear of unsafe driving pushed at you.........

BUT are you trying to say that this video and post was a waste........ Just because you don't get some value out of it.... LET'S HOPE that some of those that need it get their wake up call........ And while you are out there on the Thai (Pattaya)roads you will likely see many who need it......... LOL ........

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I tend to agree, most of those clips are the riders fault, running a red light, to fast , turning across fast flowing traffic etc. Yes its dangerous but relative to the risks you take.

Most speeding and red light runners indeed. Speeding and red light traffic camera would make a big difference if everyone got fined and the fines are collected.

What this video shows is the absolute insanity of Thai drivers.  Virtually all motorists are driving with complete and utter abandon with little driving skill and no understanding of basic traffic laws or simply choosing to ignore all traffic laws. 

This shouldn't stop farangs from driving here, but you need to have your wits about you 100% of the time and be 100% in Defensive Driving mode (or Survival mode) and wear that helmet 100% of the time.  80% of the traffic fatalities in Thailand are on motorcycles.  It's easy to see why. 

Good video.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

All of the above caused by idiots not paying attention to what is happening around them. Bikes are a very convenient way of getting from A to B, but also a very good way to get yourself injured or killed, if you assume that the path will always be clear. Red light jumpers and lane changers without indication are the cause of many accidents. I always assume everyone around me is brain dead and likely to do something seriously stupid and act accordingly, a strategy that has seen me safe thus far. Sadly tourists especially, plus a lot of locals seem to think they are in a bubble and end up paying the price for their naivety.

Yup, drive/ride defensively (AKA situational awareness) or die. Simple choice not recognised by simpletons. Sadly, plenty more where they came from. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, donmuang2 said:

The video is in fast motion to make it look more spectacular and to clickbait more viewers. 

Neverless you have to be very careful riding a motorbike in Thailand. 

Or maybe in "fast motion" to get a lot of data across in the shortest time? ????

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Stand at any junction with traffic lights and at every single light change you will see people running the red light.

How hard can it possibly be to put police on each corner and to fine everyone who runs the red light? The fines would cover the police wages many times over, even at the ridiculously low level the fines are currently set at. And if people wont pay the fines just tow the vehicle and crush it.

Because the police are too busy stopping legal drivers and making fines for running yellow lights... Happened to me... cop said yellow is same as red haha

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

That's better - "most".

I just hate generalizations and slurs on everybody.

In this case motorcyclists, many of whom are innocent in their actions and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My missus drives her Vigo, she also regularly rides her Wave, so please don't insinuate my missus is an idiot.

Going by this video, if she runs a red light or crosses a dual carriageway without taking into account oncoming traffic, then she's an idiot. If not, then not.

3 hours ago, ebean001 said:

I was confused when I tried to rent one. The man said...these are my bikes, Understand?

Yes, I understand.

You break my bike or lose my bike you pay, understand???

Any insurance?

I asked a few more questions and got the same answer...so I left him with his bikes.

"You break my bike or lose my bike you pay, understand???

Any insurance?

You break my bike or lose my bike you pay, understand???"

Answer: You no have insurance for bike, I no rent, understand???
Otherwise: Video the entire bike while running with an employee and note any defects.  The guy just projected that your rental may disappear.  Carry and use your own lock.  Park in areas covered by CCTV.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

my pet hate is scooter riders leaving their indicators on, thats an accident waiting to happen, i bet i can go out today and see at least half a dozen bikes with indicators still flashing, whats the matter with these idiots

I have a Vespa and there is no audible sound for the indicator and I found that I often left it running. I bought a gadget from USA which now clicks merrily when the indicator is on and I have had no problems since. I think for many that is the problem - more of a design fault??

• Like 1

May I suggest that you take a look at the small town about 45 minutes south of Pattaya. A town called BAN CHANG which I describe as being similar to Pattaya 30 - 40 years ago.. It has a cluster of about 20 bars with very lovely ladies, Restruants, golf courses, AND only 2 (two) 'traffic signals' on it's main drag.......
I live on the East-side of Pattaya but I also keep a 4,000 baht/month apartment in Ban Chang....... I find I actually enjoy my retirement more in Ban Chang.....
I recomment you give it a look before settling in Pattaya.........
A bit off-topic but where can you find a 4000 baht apartment in Ban Chang ? Is it inside a condo complex ? Does it include a basic kitchen ? Thanks.

2 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

HEY!!!! So you have learned to drive safely and you DON"T need the fear of unsafe driving pushed at you.........

BUT are you trying to say that this video and post was a waste........ Just because you don't get some value out of it.... LET'S HOPE that some of those that need it get their wake up call........ And while you are out there on the Thai (Pattaya)roads you will likely see many who need it......... LOL ........

I am not in Pattaya but in Samui, where more than 50% of the farangs tourist and expats alike drive without a helmet,slow down, accelerate slow down again to talk to another motorbike in the middle of the road, at the smallest bend to the right they are at least in the middle of the road, their speciality is to constantly forget a flashing either the right or the left one. I see every day many old western couples two on the motorbike without a helmet, not to speak about a great number trying constantly to overtake by the right or by the left. Except for the Thai teenagers driving full speed all the time with their noisy machine, the average western tourists drive faster and more dangerously than many Thai. At least in Samui. And this video won't change anything. And that you do not like it does not change the fact that cautious people like me do not have the slightest need of this kind of video to remain cautious and especially constantly attentive.

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Its not the motorcycles, its the idiots who ride them.

I haven't counted but about 2 out of 3 accidents due to complete brainless motorbike riders.

Blind? Drugged? Some scenes look suicidal.

It's a collection of older videos.

Many of them seen already.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ebean001 said:

I was confused when I tried to rent one. The man said...these are my bikes, Understand?

Yes, I understand.

Any insurance?

I asked a few more questions and got the same answer...so I left him with his bikes.

Funny,

reminds me of test riding two 803cc air cooled Ducatis about 2-3 weeks ago at Ducati Udon Thani.

Just as i'm leaving on the first one, the manager says "Oh, both bikes are not insured, have problem - you pay".......

Like brand new test ride models worth 440k each....

Still took them out for a good thrashing...........

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I am not in Pattaya but in Samui, where more than 50% of the farangs tourist and expats alike drive without a helmet,slow down, accelerate slow down again to talk to another motorbike in the middle of the road, at the smallest bend to the right they are at least in the middle of the road, their speciality is to constantly forget a flashing either the right or the left one. I see every day many old western couples two on the motorbike without a helmet, not to speak about a great number trying constantly to overtake by the right or by the left. Except for the Thai teenagers driving full speed all the time with their noisy machine, the average western tourists drive faster and more dangerously than many Thai. At least in Samui. And this video won't change anything. And that you do not like it does not change the fact that cautious people like me do not have the slightest need of this kind of video to remain cautious and especially constantly attentive.

If that is your opinion........ You are welcome to it with my blessings...............OPINIONS are like rectums (A__holes) .... 'WE ALL have one'.......... Now we know about yours..... and congratulations for being such a safe driver, we will pray that all the drivers coming toward you are as good drivers as you........ LOL ......

And yes you know about Samui......... I been there also........ It is nowhere as crowded as Pattaya........... Pattaya has a growing reputation for it's motorbike deaths...... Farangs a small portion........

You seem to be thinking ONLY of YOURSELF as I read it......... Keep in mind that this post was not written (or directed) at ONLY you........ You seem to imply that you are this and you are that...... (and mostly we don't care about you - Sorry to dissappoint)..........  But as scary as the video is it just 'possibly' could have the desired effect on one or more of the people it was 'aimed' at........... I for one appreciate the 'intent' of 'this' post...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

All of the above caused by idiots not paying attention to what is happening around them. Bikes are a very convenient way of getting from A to B, but also a very good way to get yourself injured or killed, if you assume that the path will always be clear. Red light jumpers and lane changers without indication are the cause of many accidents. I always assume everyone around me is brain dead and likely to do something seriously stupid and act accordingly, a strategy that has seen me safe thus far. Sadly tourists especially, plus a lot of locals seem to think they are in a bubble and end up paying the price for their naivety.

No need to assume 

Having studied the video I've come to the conclusion the common theme for all the accidents is that annoying piped music in the background. If they stopped playing that the accidents would surely reduce.

The alternative is that a lot of drivers of all vechiles are driving too fast and not paying enough attention at junctions.

Another wakey observation, not sure there is any evidence to support this, but the wider the road the worse the driving becomes. Anymore than 3 lanes and driving standards seems to deteriorate.

Sadly the lives of those lost are of little importance to those with the power to bring about change.

20 hours ago, mercman24 said:

my pet hate is scooter riders leaving their indicators on, thats an accident waiting to happen, i bet i can go out today and see at least half a dozen bikes with indicators still flashing, whats the matter with these idiots

They probably bumped the button by accident since no one seems to know how or when to use signals.

12 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

I have a Vespa and there is no audible sound for the indicator and I found that I often left it running. I bought a gadget from USA which now clicks merrily when the indicator is on and I have had no problems since. I think for many that is the problem - more of a design fault??

There is a flashing green light next to the speed indicator, I take a look at that now and again. Mostly cancelling my indicator is automatic and I don't even realize. In reality using my indicator doesn't stop someone undertaking or overtaking so I stick my arm out too. 

Self preservation needs some learning.

Edited by jacko45k

18 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

My old Vespa T5 had an indicator bleeper, but they discontinued them early 90's. 

On 11/26/2018 at 8:43 AM, KittenKong said:

Stand at any junction with traffic lights and at every single light change you will see people running the red light.

How hard can it possibly be to put police on each corner and to fine everyone who runs the red light? The fines would cover the police wages many times over, even at the ridiculously low level the fines are currently set at. And if people wont pay the fines just tow the vehicle and crush it.

Road's in Thailand is a gold mine 

CCTV and police will make the road's safer if they just working 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There is a flashing green light next to the speed indicator, I take a look at that now and again

While driving my bike, any time I see someone driving along blissfully unaware their 

"winkycator"  is stuck on I press the cancel button on my handlebars...so I press it quite a lot but still sometimes do forget to cancel.

In the car obviously there is a clicking noise and it self cancels after the turn so no problem there.

errr Ok now the video want to display...this is the original from earlier this year not sped up  still shocking..

Edited by johng