Tesco Lotus To Drop Disposable Plastic Bags Next Week

webfact

16 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Now you can use paper bags for your rubbish, even better :thumbsup:

Paper bags are no good for wet food waste (Garbage). I use my plastic shopping bags to keep the wet waste for composting separate so that it can easily be sorted at the waste transfer station at Onuch Rd Bangkok. I will have to buy plastic bin liners now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yes anything that's been refrigerated will sweat in the outside heat...the bag will get wet

your cold beer,milk,butter and frozen peas fall on the floor...????  especially bad when dangling from  motorbike handlebars at 60++ KPH

Not difficult for you to take you own canvas bags on the bike is it?

2 hours ago, blinkers said:

I can remember 40 odd years ago, all supermarkets in Australia used to put your groceries in a large brown paper bag.

Of course we don't want to cut down forests either. and recycled paper wouldn't be enough for the demand. so this is going in cycles, we don't want plastic, but then we don't want to cut down trees either, there's a fortune to be made if someone can come up with a suitable alternative.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:...............

I guess, like in our house, your house may be likened to this cartoon as well ...................

image.png.af045cf65d1105c23d901beb8cf921ef.png

Guilty as charged. Most of my spare plastic bags are in layers in the bins and I've been wondering what happens to them eventually in the great, sort-on-the-street Thai garbage system. I would rather use paper bags in my bins - not use any plastic bags for anything, even garbage bins.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Good news, let us hope more follow. I will, however, make one small point if I may. When I go to Lotus in Market Village Hua Hin I take a big bag with me that I keep in the truck. It is folded up, and I place it in the child seat of the trolley. I have been asked by security on a number of occasions that I have to check the bag into the depository ( for want of a better word ), where I get a token. Then retrieve it on my way out. When I explain it is empty, and folded up I am met with a blank look. So.....I pay for my shopping, go back to the entrance, collect my canvas bag, transfer my shopping from the plastic bags to the canvas bag, leave the plastic bags in the trolley and walk out..........:crazy:

If they have shopping baskets have the checkout folks put the groceries back into the basket without using plastic bags at all. Then transfer the groceries to your bag. I do this all the time at FoodLand - they know me and know I rarely accept plastic bags so they know to simply place the goods back into the shopping basket (carried or wheeled). From there I wheel or carry the goods out to my bicycle and place them into the pannier(s).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blinkers said:

I can remember 40 odd years ago, all supermarkets in Australia used to put your groceries in a large brown paper bag.

Of course we don't want to cut down forests either. and recycled paper wouldn't be enough for the demand. so this is going in cycles, we don't want plastic, but then we don't want to cut down trees either, there's a fortune to be made if someone can come up with a suitable alternative.

I remember that. Plastic bags were scarce. The butchers and fishmongers also used grease proof paper instead of plastic for wrapping meat. It sometimes leaked a little, but was a small price to pay for being more environmentally friendly.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Good, but I hope the paper bags are of high enough quality not to rip. Would like to be able to buy good quality hemp reusable bags at the counter, my old reusable ones are in tatters already.

Can you imagine the possibilities of reusable bag production startups? 

Hope springs eternal towards society and the false economy. 

Go green...

• Like 1

Joking aside I'm all for dispensing with the cheap disposable bags altogether or at least charging for them.

Me and the good lady wife now take our super-strong bags to the supermarche every second weekend. We can get the entire two weeks shopping into two massive reusable bags rather than 6 to 8 disposable ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Step in right direction.

What direction might that be mkp? Backwards!!

Although i'm not completely and utterly devastated at the news, I am upset that Tesco have read some TVForum posts on this and decided to act in this neanderthal manner. Yes you, you,, posters!! And what does it really mean? It means more business for Big C. Who, already issue environmentally green plastic bags. What more could they offer?

With the 7-11 scandals and now Tesco!!?? What next?

ps: If this nonsense actually becomes a reality, I might as well pull the Tesco bag down from the fence and continue the durability experiment with just 7-11 and Big C bags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So they'll be contributing to deforestation and climate change in another form?

A valid point.  The government and/or retailers need to encourage the reusable heavy duty bags that you bring with you and there's only way to do that which is to make it prohibitively expensive not to.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Now this is the way to go... but just make it permanent.

Oh,  thought it was.

Silly me. TIT. :cheesy:

Ps A brown paper bag is aways handy,  if you bring a rough one home. !!!!!!

sorry two brown paper bags, just in case, :shock1:.    :giggle:

paper bag over the head.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 2