Hatari fan explodes

luudee

I have a Hatari wall mounted fan, (18") in my kitchen. We just replaced it a
few months ago. Now, when we run it at high speed (#3). the blades will
"explode". Obviously the blades are either not designed for this purpose, or
are just poor quality. We have replaced them 3 times in one months ...

I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and has a solution for
this. Running it a low speed (#1) seems to be ok, but is not acceptable for
our usage.

luudee

fan.jpg

We have six of the same fan, all are behaving perfectly.

Are you using genuine Hatari blades or cheap "pattern" ones?

I've never seen a fan "explode" from an overspeed blade. Of course that doesn't mean it can't happen, but it seems odd that you've seen it several times with the same fan.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have six of the same fan, all are behaving perfectly.

Are you using genuine Hatari blades or cheap "pattern" ones?

I've never seen a fan "explode" from an overspeed blade. Of course that doesn't mean it can't happen, but it seems odd that you've seen it several times with the same fan.

Agree with Crossy, the speed / centrifugal force is insufficient for a blade to disintegrate unless it has an inherent fault. How does it fail, blades break off the hub, hub breaks. 

Assume the first failure was an original Hatari fan, have the others failed in the same way? 

Just now, Wirejerker said:

Sounds like the blade is hitting the back cage at high speed and shattering. Check it’s been assembled correctly and the clearances are even.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the same thought, but surely the noise would make you immediately aware of what the problem is problem. 

On 11/26/2018 at 5:31 PM, Artisi said:

Agree with Crossy, the speed / centrifugal force is insufficient for a blade to disintegrate unless it has an inherent fault. How does it fail, blades break off the hub, hub breaks. 

Assume the first failure was an original Hatari fan, have the others failed in the same way? 

Yes, they disintegrate a high speed making the housing fall apart.

I *think* we are getting original Hatari blades, but who knows ...

It now has happened 3 times in a row, I'll try to find another supplier for our "genuine" Hatari blades, lol 

Thanks,

rudi

On 11/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, Wirejerker said:

Sounds like the blade is hitting the back cage at high speed and shattering. Check it’s been assembled correctly and the clearances are even.

Nope, all properly assembled and works for some time without issues.

I was in the kitchen when it happened once, it was running just

fine, and then all of a sudden ... it's like an explosion ...

Thanks,

rudi

On 11/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, Artisi said:

Reassemble it once again and send  photo  before it dies again. 

Unfortunately the failure time is unpredictable. It will work for some time, and then boom !

rudi

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Can you post a photo of a failed blade, could give a clue as to why you are having such bad luck.

Sorry, we threw them all out. They literally disintegrated in to many smaller pieces.

When running at low speed, we don't have that issue, only on high speed.

So I assume they just disintegrate due to poor quality.

rudi

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Just a thought here...…...is someone cleaning the blades (or spraying them) with some sort of "cleaning spray"??

No time for them to get dirty, they typically disintegrate before that.

But yes, we clean them with just a damp towel, no solvents ...

rudi

Genuine Hatari fan blades are marked with the Hatari name somewhere inside the hub.

Most blades usually show small lines of cracks where the blade joins the hub before they explode. But Who knows...…………………….

As Crossy says a picture would be useful. 

3 hours ago, luudee said:

Sorry, we threw them all out. They literally disintegrated in to many smaller pieces.

rudi

if the problem appears only at high speed sounds like a balancing problem? best to get an OEM replacement properly installed...the motor shaft has a key so that the new blade assembly can only be installed the proper way and the balancing should've been tested at the factory per the usual quality control procedures...

I had a problem when replacing fan blade with non Hatari. The blades were unbalanced and it shook the whole fan almost off the wall at speed.

The OP does not mention the fan shaking just the blades "exploding" at high speed so doubt its a balance problem.

Be interesting to find out what the problem is. 

On 11/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, luudee said:

rudi

My wife being typically Thai bought relplacement fan blades outside of Tesco Lotus because they were 10THB cheaper then the ones inside. The original Hatari blew apart when I picked the fan up by its handle while it was running so house rules changed at that point. When the new cheap replacement required a clean I noticed what looked like fracture lines around the hub but figured it was ok. However some time later it disintegrated at the hub without being moved around or interfered with. I bought the expensive???? Hatari 16" replacement fan blades from Big C and paid the addition 10THB making it 69THB and the casting appeared much cleaner, it also runs quieter so maybe some places are selling cheaper rejects.

I replaced my fan again, this time I ordered online, and I think the new one is a real

Hatari fan. Attached are the pictures from the previous "authentic"  Hatari fan, even

says so on it ... 

The new one appears to be a much better quality plastic ... "appears to be" ...

You can see how the old one is starting to fall apart already, two weeks at

the lowest speed.

rudi

20181201_105932.thumb.jpg.b6a422a7b51a162062088e613d7347c8.jpg20181201_105940.thumb.jpg.390fc4008cb6bc5dd95c5ee0c3b32a31.jpg20181201_105953.thumb.jpg.2d40d33297d18ed783466278dbb14e54.jpg20181201_110018.thumb.jpg.80f7c0773659a79554e74f376317d0a4.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, luudee said:
I have a Hatari wall mounted fan, (18") in my kitchen. We just replaced it a
few months ago. Now, when we run it at high speed (#3). the blades will
"explode". Obviously the blades are either not designed for this purpose, or
are just poor quality. We have replaced them 3 times in one months ...

I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and has a solution for
this. Running it a low speed (#1) seems to be ok, but is not acceptable for
our usage.

We've run 2 Harari 18'' fans for many years, often at high speed. We've only had one blade failure in that time.

The fact that your unit is very new, only a few months you say, would strongly suggest a fault with the unit. a slight misbalance at low speed would be tolerable, but at high speed the vibration would eventually cause 'fatigue failure' in the blades. They usually crack at the base.

Wall mounted units also need to be very firmly attached to avoid vibration.

8 hours ago, luudee said:

I replaced my fan again, this time I ordered online, and I think the new one is a real

Hatari fan. Attached are the pictures from the previous "authentic"  Hatari fan, even

says so on it ... 

The new one appears to be a much better quality plastic ... "appears to be" ...

You can see how the old one is starting to fall apart already, two weeks at

the lowest speed.

rudi

20181201_105932.thumb.jpg.b6a422a7b51a162062088e613d7347c8.jpg20181201_105940.thumb.jpg.390fc4008cb6bc5dd95c5ee0c3b32a31.jpg20181201_105953.thumb.jpg.2d40d33297d18ed783466278dbb14e54.jpg20181201_110018.thumb.jpg.80f7c0773659a79554e74f376317d0a4.jpg

appears to be typical fatigue failure brought about by blade flexion / oscillation, probably the blades are not true aerofoil shape and suffer unequal loading across the blade. 

too tight or not tight enough... or not slotted correctly on to the metal pins...

We have six Hatari fans, wall and pedestal, the oldest one about twenty years old. Never needed to replace any parts, just take apart and clean about every six weeks.

I hate Hatari fans, you need Mitsubishi's they are much better.

But yours had non-original fanblades i guess or the cage was bent/dented?

I've also seen a fanblade brake off while the fan was running, it was in a restaurant in Krabi and very scary. Lucky they used the cage...

Buy a mitsubishi and it will make much less noise and work much longer....also clean them every few months..I just cleaned my mitsu's and noticed the motor of the dirty one was getting pretty warm because it couldn't cool properly from all the collected dirt in the heart of the cage. It's very silent again now and running all days long (we have many of those in the house), but unfortunately there are no ceilingfans from Mitsu.

Archived