Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

29 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Denmark with Scotch.

44 minutes ago, Grouse said:

They could be like Denmark with Scotch. Mega powerful neighbour just the South. Similar population. Oil and gas. Tech. Why not?

Why not?

Here's a few:

1. The Scottish deficit due to high spending. Presently buffered by UK. Would be ruinous for Scotland alone.

2. Currency. What would they use? Euro adoption impossible right now due to (1).

3. Severe austerity would be necessary to reach EU and Euro entry criteria. Would soon become unpopular. 

4. N. Sea hydrocarbon reserves and revenue significantly declined and low oil price now. 

5. SNP - poor track record - if they were in charge of Scotchit, it would be a bigger cock-up than Brexit.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Why not?

Here's a few:

1. The Scottish deficit due to high spending. Presently buffered by UK. Would be ruinous for Scotland alone.

2. Currency. What would they use? Euro adoption impossible right now due to (1).

3. Severe austerity would be necessary to reach EU and Euro entry criteria. Would soon become unpopular. 

4. N. Sea hydrocarbon reserves and revenue significantly declined and low oil price now. 

5. SNP - poor track record - if they were in charge of Scotchit, it would be a bigger cock-up than Brexit.

What about sovereignty?

Escape the Westminster corrupt burocrats

Dont you see the analogy?

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What about sovereignty?

Got to agree with you there, Denmark is pretty sensible.

The UK could be similar if it left the EU.

But Grouse's backstop is a bottle of Scotch.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:14 PM, dick dasterdly said:

And that, of course, is the other problem...

Does the South still want to reunite with the North?

NO,   History bears its scars , over to you miss May .

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

What about sovereignty?

Escape from the unelected Westminster corrupt burocrats.
Let us free ourselves from the english shackles.
Have control over our own borders and make our own laws.

Propaganda is simple but works 52% up.

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

Got to agree with you there, Denmark is pretty sensible.

The UK could be similar if it left the EU.

But Grouse's backstop is a bottle of Scotch.

sensible? maybe

But Denmark is pragmatic, the UK cannot even spell pragmatism correctly

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

What about sovereignty?

Well, yes of course I do, and I appreciate that. If Scotland, Wales and NI feel the need then there should be no obstruction to that but I still feel that it would be bad for at least for Scotland and Wales.

I expect that the Irish will eventually rejoin each other in good time. I actually hope so.

But I also think that, in the long-term, they will all be better off outside the EU.

Personally, I favour a united British Isles. ????

2 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Escape from the unelected Westminster corrupt burocrats.
Let us free ourselves from the english shackles.
Have control over our own borders and make our own laws.

Propaganda is simple but works 52% up.

Now how's that for an analogy!

Ford Motor Co (F.N) told British Prime Minister Theresa May during a conference call on Tuesday that it may have to move some production out of Britain because of Brexit, according to a source on the call. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ford-call/ford-told-may-it-could-move-business-overseas-because-of-brexit-idUKKCN1Q21FD

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

Which bit would you like me to explain

Camerons 2016 opt out from further integration?

Or multiple levels of EU membership?

That was then and times moved on the people voted for more than that and to leave the EU. The EU just don't want the UK to leave and of course want our massive contributions.

Personally I feel it was hardly a concession more like the last piece of a well chewed piece of meat. Some would call it the scraps.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That was then and times moved on the people voted for more than that and to leave the EU. The EU just don't want the UK to leave and of course want our massive contributions.

Personally I feel it was hardly a concession more like the last piece of a well chewed piece of meat. Some would call it the scraps.

But the opt out of further integration was already agreed. That is the point.

38 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The point is people voted for more. Out of the EU and the shackles it brings. The EU want further federalisation which surely you can see that.

I’m not convinced you or anyone else knows ‘what people voted for’.

What they are getting is now becoming apparent, and it’s time to ask if this is what they want.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I know what I voted for and all my friends as they continually tell me. I read so much from message boards to comments in newspapers. They all want out of the EU. Not staying half in by a CU or SM.

It is remainers who keep questioning this and what they voted for as some justification that they voted incorrectly. 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What they are getting is now becoming apparent, and it’s time to ask if this is what they want.

What they are getting is not what the people voted for. Once again for the Thousandth time. It is a remaining Prime Minister, Civil Servants and a vast majority of remaining MP's who are creating this 'apparent' situation. The gravy train is drying up for them.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The point is people voted for more. Out of the EU and the shackles it brings. The EU want further federalisation which surely you can see that.

Which brings us to the second point I made. Macron has indeed suggested levels of membership with varying degrees of integration and commitment. Benelux, Germany and France (the original 6) at the core. The UK could be in the outermost level with no Euro, no Schengen, and no class! 

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Which brings us to the second point I made. Macron has indeed suggested levels of membership with varying degrees of integration and commitment. Benelux, Germany and France (the original 6) at the core. The UK could be in the outermost level with no Euro, no Schengen, and no class! 

The suggestion as you say by Macron for varying levels of membership are at best fragmented.  He says one thing one day and another the next. As we keep getting told that its 27 states but we all know its really Germany and France who hold the keys. Macron will be toast at the next election if not sooner.

Regardless people voted to leave the EU and all this so called change and reform is hot air. The EU don't want to reform just solidify the EU more and more.

It would seem your vision of an EU is  not what the EU is actually about and happening. Maybe if you can answers them questions on the EU I mentioned, then I and others can get an idea of the EU you would like and of one that is actually real.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The suggestion as you say by Macron for varying levels of membership are at best fragmented.  He says one thing one day and another the next. As we keep getting told that its 27 states but we all know its really Germany and France who hold the keys. Macron will be toast at the next election if not sooner.

Regardless people voted to leave the EU and all this so called change and reform is hot air. The EU don't want to reform just solidify the EU more and more.

It would seem your vision of an EU is  not what the EU is actually about and happening. Maybe if you can answers them questions on the EU I mentioned, then I and others can get an idea of the EU you would like and of one that is actually real.

OK, I'll go back to your post and respond

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The EU just don't want the UK to leave and of course want our massive contributions.

Nothing like throwing in a bit of propaganda, say it often enough and hope people believe.

Compared to the interest on the national debt, contributions to the EU are quite insignificant. Brexit will push the interest on the national debt far higher than any savings on contributions.

So what if the poor have to become poorer, its brexit at any cost. Austerity is over, long live austerity.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing like throwing in a bit of propaganda, say it often enough and hope people believe.

Compared to the interest on the national debt, contributions to the EU are quite insignificant. Brexit will push the interest on the national debt far higher than any savings on contributions.

So what if the poor have to become poorer, its brexit at any cost. Austerity is over, long live austerity.

So are you saying the EU don't want the UK to stay? Are you saying the UK doesn't pay a lot compared to the other states?

image.png.04872a38f2d0e331c453a2cbc0c49454.png

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Leaving the EU is like Al Pacino trying to get away from the Godfather.

The BBC have dumbed the once excellent Robin Day's Question Time right down to Graham Norton now. They even open the panel game with a shot of lame Bruce in front of the audience. They should have chosen a strong male presenter.

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

The BBC have dumbed the once excellent Robin Day's Question Time right down to Graham Norton now. They even open the panel game with a shot of lame Bruce in front of the audience. They should have chosen a strong male presenter.

Translation: The MOGG is on tonight! ????

Just now, Grouse said:

I will agree with you on Robin Day. What has been more destructive IMO is the Bias on the show from whatever section of the political spectrum your are from. More quality people who have political experience would help instead of half wit comedians.

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So are you saying the EU don't want the UK to stay? Are you saying the UK doesn't pay a lot compared to the other states?

image.png.04872a38f2d0e331c453a2cbc0c49454.png

In the general scheme of things, its peanuts. Of course low level munchkin Brexiters think it's a lot. To them, MPs salaries are Huge! It's all relative.

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Massive contributions?

The UK's contribution to the EU budget.

In 2017 the UK made an estimated gross contribution (after the rebate) of £13.0 billion. The UK received £4.1 billion of public sector receipts from the EU, so the UK's netpublic sector contribution to the EU was an estimated £8.9 billion.

UK GDP 2017 was GBP 2040 billion.

The net contribution of the UK to the EU budget in 2017 was exactly 0,436% of the gdp in pounds sterling.

And all this Punk about this shitty half percent?

15 minutes ago, Grouse said:

In the general scheme of things, its peanuts. Of course low level munchkin Brexiters think it's a lot. To them, MPs salaries are Huge! It's all relative.

Peanuts to someone like you who wouldn't get out of bed for less than 350 dollars a day but for many others, it is a lot and feel that we have paid far too much already for little benefit.

There you go again insulting people who voted leave.

It is a weak argument when you have to insult others. Whether it is munchkin, Numpty, Plebs or one of the other derogatory names you have used.

15 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Small amounts against national accounts I agree, but much more significant as a percentage of the EU's own budget, which they want to increase further, of course.

Archived