Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lord Heseltine: "Theresa May put the Brexiteers in charge for 2 years, they completely screwed it all up; now, that they're on the backbenches they are festering the discontent which is a direct product of their own incompetence!

of course, given that 20% of dr's are EU citizens as opposed to 5% of the general population, if they all leave there will be fewer dr for each person remaining to go and see.

And of course drs are in demand thought the EU so the can easily find jobs elsewhere  

It’s nowhere near that figure, probably half that, and most of those are Irish.
What makes you think they will be going anywhere after Brexit? Not hurt feelings??? At about 80 grand for a GP, they are all doing very nicely thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All this shows me,is that we are not training enough of our own doctors,relying instead on enticing doctors away from where they are

Thousands apply for places to study medicine but are rejected, even with qualifying grades. I believe it to be the universities fault, in preferring international students at maybe 33,000 pounds per year, compared to 9,250 pa for UK and EU students. It’s big bucks for the Uni business.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, samran said:

The ones that usually come along with taking back control of your borders...

wasnt that the point of all of this?

No. The point was that WE have control. So if we feel a border is necessary, we put one up. If we don't feel it is necessary, we don't.

As i've said many times before, remainers should stick to arguing for what they want, rather than trying to tell leavers what it is that they want.

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

During the last couple of years, reading Grouses posts, I’ve often thought, would’t it be nice if Grouse actually took charge of the remain campaign in London. With his arrogant and self important attitude, I would expect that he could single handedly increase the support for Brexit to 85% of the population. But now that we have his side kick,bomber, perhaps I should say 95%.

Kindly do not take my name in vain.

Admittedly while I think Brexit is stupid, I’m a bit of an Anglophile.

Boris at it again today looking for a free movement zone with the old ‘white’ commonwealth countries. My only opposition to this is how does one keep the chavs out? 

https://www.afr.com/news/economy/trade/britain-australia-should-forge-postbrexit-freemovement-pact-boris-johnson-20190212-h1b4zo

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Thousands apply for places to study medicine but are rejected, even with qualifying grades. I believe it to be the universities fault, in preferring international students at maybe 33,000 pounds per year, compared to 9,250 pa for UK and EU students. It’s big bucks for the Uni business.

More nonsense making things up. Not a clue re the system in HE. Unis do not limit the number of home medical students entering undergrad studies according to assumed targets re home/overseas. Typical Hard Brexiteers mistaking their own uneducated imaginings for reality.

More nonsense making things up. Not a clue re the system in HE. Unis do not limit the number of home medical students entering undergrad studies according to assumed targets re home/overseas. Typical Hard Brexiteers mistaking their own uneducated imaginings for reality.

So the Unis have unlimited places on each course and can take every applicant who is qualified? Which successful students pay the most fee?

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

right DD, thanks, so I come across as mostly a remainer?

hmmm  intriguing

I'll sleep on that one - maybe I have smth sensible to say tomorrow,

don't hold your breath

fan dii

right DD

have slept, have had breakfast, I echo a long time friend of mine

"I rise with the sun, meaning, at noon I am fully upright/vertical"

so you reckon I come across as (mainly) a remainer

challenging for me to take  that in

I follow this Brexit threads because I consider Brexit to be one of the most interesting events

this side of ww2, I am very interested in politics and multilateralism,

nuke arms races and associated crap interests me in the middle of my bum.

Brexit interests me day and night.

I am not British. In  my view it would be out of place to voice strong advice on what UK should to,

and to be honest, I don't have a strong view on what would be best for UK.

For me, it is very easy to understand and identify with the desire for being in command of statutes

and regulations and not having to bow to ECJ.

I can also  understand the wish for promoting UK as a standalone entity and establishing her own

trading environments.

However,

my mission is not to offer advice about what the UK ought to do re Brexit

my mission is to ask questions and comment and hopefully now and then provoke some thinking

my mission is also to share some of my experience and knowledge if I deem it relevant

at any rate, as we say in Yorkshire,

will have pizza and red wine for late lunch today 

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I wouldn't get too excited. He's 9/2.

Hard Brexit is also long at 13/5. 

he is leader of a party in a 2 horse race,the odds are so big because the bookies think Labour might get rid.Labour being Labour havent got the sense to do it and stroll into no 10

5 hours ago, samran said:

Admittedly while I think Brexit is stupid, I’m a bit of an Anglophile.

Boris at it again today looking for a free movement zone with the old ‘white’ commonwealth countries. My only opposition to this is how does one keep the chavs out? 

https://www.afr.com/news/economy/trade/britain-australia-should-forge-postbrexit-freemovement-pact-boris-johnson-20190212-h1b4zo

3 years too late

8 hours ago, tebee said:

Lord Heseltine: "Theresa May put the Brexiteers in charge for 2 years, they completely screwed it all up; now, that they're on the backbenches they are festering the discontent which is a direct product of their own incompetence!

I wonder why Heseltine is so pro the E.U.?

Surely it’s nothing to do with his estates in Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire, all part of his estimated wealth of Hundreds of million £’s.

47E02854-CF1D-4742-B8E7-0217FC765224.jpeg

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

So the Unis have unlimited places on each course and can take every applicant who is qualified? Which successful students pay the most fee?

I strongly suggest some Hard Brexiteers do a little bit of research before shooting off like empty sawdust and then asking questions afterwards. Particularly those whose experience of the university system is second-hand or second-rate at best.

29 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I wonder why Heseltine is so pro the E.U.?

Surely it’s nothing to do with his estates in Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire, all part of his estimated wealth of Hundreds of million £’s.

The limited thinking capacity of most Hard Brexiteers probably doesn't extend to asking the contra question of Tim Martin. Why? Because cannot work anything out beyond copy and paste.

I strongly suggest some Hard Brexiteers do a little bit of research before shooting off like empty sawdust and then asking questions afterwards. Particularly those whose experience of the university system is second-hand or second-rate at best.

Academia and academics - all sucking at the EU teat. No wonder they don’t want to Leave.

22 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

David Copperfield, more like. Politicians of all stripes are guilty of failing to observe Mr Micawber's dictum, The Micawber Principle. 

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness," he declared. "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." 

If political leaders across the world had practiced what this Dickens' character preached, we would not now be debt slaves to the bankers.

And this Gentleman is the typical limit of a Hard Brexiteer's understanding of economics.

16 hours ago, aright said:

Written by a Civil Servant.

For the UK, the choice can be summarised as one between democracy and permanent second-class statehood; freedom to hire and fire the people who make the laws we have to obey and pay for, or the triumph of pessimism due to the mistaken and craven belief that we aren’t mature and sensible enough to run our own affairs, and must cleave to a supranational body with minimal democratic legitimacy because we are too insignificant to defend our right to democratic self-government.

https://brexitcentral.com/precious-choice-democracy-permanent-second-class-statehood/

Get your broken record here!

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

right DD

have slept, have had breakfast, I echo a long time friend of mine

"I rise with the sun, meaning, at noon I am fully upright/vertical"

so you reckon I come across as (mainly) a remainer

challenging for me to take  that in

I follow this Brexit threads because I consider Brexit to be one of the most interesting events

this side of ww2, I am very interested in politics and multilateralism,

nuke arms races and associated crap interests me in the middle of my bum.

Brexit interests me day and night.

I am not British. In  my view it would be out of place to voice strong advice on what UK should to,

and to be honest, I don't have a strong view on what would be best for UK.

For me, it is very easy to understand and identify with the desire for being in command of statutes

and regulations and not having to bow to ECJ.

I can also  understand the wish for promoting UK as a standalone entity and establishing her own

trading environments.

However,

my mission is not to offer advice about what the UK ought to do re Brexit

my mission is to ask questions and comment and hopefully now and then provoke some thinking

my mission is also to share some of my experience and knowledge if I deem it relevant

at any rate, as we say in Yorkshire,

will have pizza and red wine for late lunch today 

Much as we applaud your efforts, not everybody is into prose attempting to resemble Japanese Waka poetry.

38 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The limited thinking capacity of most Hard Brexiteers probably doesn't extend to asking the contra question of Tim Martin. Why? Because cannot work anything out beyond copy and paste.

The forum is blessed. We have found a man who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking.

Archived