Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

The Brexit Busters – Final Chapter

"On a clear, moonlit sky on the night of 29 March, squadron leader Jean-Claude gingerly steers his Junckers EU27 heavy bomber metres above the murky waters of the Thames towards London.

“Target one kilometre, open bomb bay,” orders JC.

“Down, down, steady … steady,” says bomber aimer Marty Selmayr calmly.

“Target 500 metres.”

“Bomb’s gone!”

Immediately JC opens the throttle to full and, with the EU27’s engines roaring, banks his aircraft to port to avoid the Brexit bluster rising from the nearby House of Commons. The crew hold their breath in anticipation as the 39bn pound Brexit buster (invented by Michel Barnier-Wallace) skips over the water towards its target, the Department of Exiting the European Union.

The crew hear a dull thud, but the DEEU appears unscathed. As disappointment sets in, rear-gunner BoJo “Bonkers” Johnson screams in delight over the intercom: “She’s going, the damn thing’s going!”

“What? You mean Theresa’s finally resigning? Shome mishtake surely.”"

Continued page 294

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tebee said:

And it's equally annoying to see that most leavers still cannot acknowledge that the majority leave vote was because at the time of the referendum, the public were assured there would not be a cost to leaving the EU, indeed we would all be better off. 

Cods.

4 hours ago, tebee said:

But this is relevant.

We have already agreed there is no economic case for Brexit.

So I ask for alternative reasons .

You suggest independence.

I point out the the UK is not one homogeneous whole 

So why should various parts of it not want their own laws to suit their local conditions ?

Like Scotland ?

indeed why should not Manchester make up it's own laws .

Keep all those scruffs from Bury coming here taking our jobs ?

We have already agreed there is no economic case for Brexit. WHO HAS?

Manchester make up it's own laws? GREAT IDEA. START WITH EXTRA GUN CONTROL.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grouse you so often come across as a right snob and ridicule the very people who you seem to be. As a Yorkshire man I would have thought that seen as an outsider from London you would have had a little bit more heart for the working class man, who as we know voted for the leave campaign. Primarily as this affects them at grass root levels. Unless you are one of those landowners who look down at the working man, as you have done well for yourself.????

You say self harm. Well the likes of Sunderland, the fishing communities and industries and farming that have been eroded for years and they feel like they have had 44 years of self harm in the ECE and now EU.  So I applaud them for having the courage to want to leave and have the strength to take whatever happens.

I would like to know from remainers the lie the UK was sold getting into the ECE and the subsequent treaties like the Lisbon and Maastricht treaty. Shouldn't that be addressed, the big lie. Or is it something that seems to be forgotten.

The people haven't forgotten and voted out.

I don't blame the Epsilons at all. I blame the cynical bastards that have led them down the wrong road.

I'm glad you mentioned Sunderland. Do you not see how EU membership has helped them above all? Thatcher and that Minford bastard finished coal and ship building in exchange for nothing. The EU have sprinkled magic dust and brought the area up substantially. The CONs will leave them to rot. I was up at Durham and my mother was from CoDurham farming stock so I know Wearside. Vaux's Double Maxim was a favourite of mine. Several high tech manufacturers in the area benefited from EU subsidies. 

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Grouse, you have the mindset of the EU government,

uncaring, aloof, pseudo aristocratic, looking down on,

and sneering at the poor. The EU will not survive with

that attitude. Already, we see signs of unrest..long may

it continue.

You know very well that I am very pro Scandinavia: egalitarian societies with social justice. I abhor inequality such as is prevalent in both U.K. And USA so how do you square that with uncaring?

Aloof? I communicate with you don't I?

I understand the good that emanates from the EU. I will not be blamed for the apparant isolation of Epsilons from the facts.

The CONs have opted out of many, many EU social welfare schemes.

In short, have a go at me by all means but make sure your facts are correct. Sonny.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

As another Yorkshire man, I would just like to confirm the above.

Thankfully the majority are proper Yorkshire.

As shown in this recent poll carried out in God’s country.

64EB271B-7713-46F2-9CE8-6D9309883457.jpeg

Take it from me, education is everything. Spend your last penny on your children's education. No good schools? Move! Take a close interest in what your kids are doing; help them, encourage them. It is the only route to social mobility. The End. Fin.

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't blame the Epsilons at all. I blame the cynical bastards that have led them down the wrong road.

I'm glad you mentioned Sunderland. Do you not see how EU membership has helped them above all? Thatcher and that Minford bastard finished coal and ship building in exchange for nothing. The EU have sprinkled magic dust and brought the area up substantially. The CONs will leave them to rot. I was up at Durham and my mother was from CoDurham farming stock so I know Wearside. Vaux's Double Maxim was a favourite of mine. Several high tech manufacturers in the area benefited from EU subsidies. 

Of course they benefitted and so they should we were major contributors to the pool. What's the difference between an EU subsidy and  Government subsidies which I am sure will happen post Brexit. You seem to want to stay in the EU on the basis of the "then".  Most Leavers decisions are based on the "now". 

Italy is now in recession, Germany is very close to recession, France is a basket case and a German manufacturing union is blaming the EU Commission for their mishandling and arrogance, etc..

In short the EU is failing.

Would you consider buying shares in a Company with these problems? 

31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

We have already agreed there is no economic case for Brexit. WHO HAS?

I've not seen, either on here, or in the greeter scheme of things, one coherent point about how Brexit will make us richer.

Now everyone seems to be saying, yes we know  it will make us poorer, but the sovereignty....

4 minutes ago, aright said:

Of course they benefitted and so they should we were major contributors to the pool. What's the difference between an EU subsidy and  Government subsidies which I am sure will happen post Brexit. You seem to want to stay in the EU on the basis of the "then".  Most Leavers decisions are based on the "now". 

Italy is now in recession, Germany is very close to recession, France is a basket case and a German manufacturing union is blaming the EU Commission for their mishandling and arrogance, etc..

In short the EU is failing.

Would you consider buying shares in a Company with these problems? 

You think the CONs will continue with the targeted subsidies? Ask Cornwall, Ask the farmers, Ask Sunderland.

You are surprisingly naive on this Aright?

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

I've not seen, either on here, or in the greeter scheme of things, one coherent point about how Brexit will make us richer.

Now everyone seems to be saying, yes we know  it will make us poorer, but the sovereignty....

Just like everything else then. No agreement.

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

Here's your starter for ten. . .  https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-industries-benefit-from-brexit-ben-yi/

24 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Take it from me, education is everything. Spend your last penny on your children's education. No good schools? Move! Take a close interest in what your kids are doing; help them, encourage them. It is the only route to social mobility. The End. Fin.

might largely subscribe to that,

education - everything? well - but damn important

not only that

give the offspring a rich upbringing

constant intellectual challenges

smth to strive for in their daily lives

1 hour ago, bomber said:

The poor in the UK are well looked after,alcoholics daily alliwance used to be £17.00 per day last i heard,7-8 years ago,many also get brand new houses i will post a picture of a example when i get back home..iam sure the EU wouldnt dream of giving such luxuries to these lazy scumbags.no wonder they risk all to get here

So let me get this straight.  Those fleeing from Syria, Somalia etc., risking all to get to the UK - they're alcoholics, and those alcoholic refugees get £17 per day and a new house? 

Thank god for the educated remainers on here. They give us the chance to learn something new every day! 

28 minutes ago, tebee said:

and?

30 minutes ago, tebee said:

There have been plenty of counter arguments to the Remain economic armageddon propaganda.  You just choose to ignore / disbelieve it. 

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

There have been plenty of counter arguments to the Remain economic armageddon propaganda.  You just choose to ignore / disbelieve it. 

I don't say or think it will be economic armageddon.

If we leave with no deal there will be chaos and a recession - we'll probably all end up 10 - 20% poorer. People will lose their businesses, jobs and houses, there will be shortages, probably a few will die from those, but it won't be  armageddon.

What will slowly chock the UK is it becoming much less competitive to Europe.  Businesses and jobs will be created there instead of here. We will become an economic backwater.

We will be a competitor to the EU, so they won't make it easy for us, little laws and regulations  will make it too expensive to base a multinational company here. They will have us in a slow stranglehold. 

46 minutes ago, tebee said:

I don't say or think it will be economic armageddon.

If we leave with no deal there will be chaos and a recession - we'll probably all end up 10 - 20% poorer. People will lose their businesses, jobs and houses, there will be shortages, probably a few will die from those, but it won't be  armageddon.

What will slowly chock the UK is it becoming much less competitive to Europe.  Businesses and jobs will be created there instead of here. We will become an economic backwater.

We will be a competitor to the EU, so they won't make it easy for us, little laws and regulations  will make it too expensive to base a multinational company here. They will have us in a slow stranglehold. 

All conjecture.

"We'll probably end up 10 - 20% poorer".

That's just a guess from those who don't want us to leave. 

"little laws and regulations  will make it too expensive to base a multinational company here."

On the contrary, we'll be free to make the UK more competitive for multinationals once we're no longer constrained by EU laws. 

4 hours ago, bomber said:

More chance of scotland leaving the UK than another country leaving the EU...and the brexit you want would make it a certainty..even half a brexit will make it a real possibility.

Not quite correct, this is what the Bureaucrats in Brussels are afraid of.

"The other members would leave and do the same thing. So you have to prevent this."

Swedish eurosceptic party Sweden Democrats (SW) has issued a dire warning to Brussels, suggesting the Scandinavian country could very well leave the bloc unless eurocrats accept to make substantial changes to its core institutions. A shocking poll in 2017 suggested more than half of The Netherlands would prefer to quit the EU.

Ms Fordwich continued: "There were rumours of Nexit, the Dutch leaving and The Netherlands, and Swexit after the right swing in Sweden.

"That’s the fear. The Dutch and the Swedish are two they fear might want to go."

46 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

All conjecture.

"little laws and regulations  will make it too expensive to base a multinational company here."

On the contrary, we'll be free to make the UK more competitive for multinationals once we're no longer constrained by EU laws. 

Clear tax-free paradise for multinational companies.

1. The tax revenue of the state will be enough then to pay his

existing pensioners and the mountain to steadily growing future pensioners?

2. In order to attract large national companies, however, the wage level has to be lowered to Chinese standards.

3. large companies need large sales markets in order to achieve cost-effective economies of scale. Sorry but the UK will not have tariff free access to the next largest market in its neighborhood.

4. And the whole Brexit nonsense to make yourself dependent again on big multis?

In this case, the Brexit cat bites itself in the tail.

20 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Not quite correct, this is what the Bureaucrats in Brussels are afraid of.

"The other members would leave and do the same thing. So you have to prevent this."

Swedish eurosceptic party Sweden Democrats (SW) has issued a dire warning to Brussels, suggesting the Scandinavian country could very well leave the bloc unless eurocrats accept to make substantial changes to its core institutions. A shocking poll in 2017 suggested more than half of The Netherlands would prefer to quit the EU.

Ms Fordwich continued: "There were rumours of Nexit, the Dutch leaving and The Netherlands, and Swexit after the right swing in Sweden.

"That’s the fear. The Dutch and the Swedish are two they fear might want to go."

re Sweden, the SwedenDemocrats, SD not SW, would say that,

but that is a very far cry from what is possible to sell in Sweden, politically - me thinks

also you have AfD in Germany, also hammering in the need to alter the EU organs and their MO.

am not up to speed with developments in NL, should they leave, my guess is that they would

do way better than UK - re trade

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Lol

Clearly, when a zebra dies in the savanna, the vultures benefit from the carcass.

And, clearly, when a lion reclaims the savannah, it takes its pick of the wildlife and leave the leftovers for the vultures.

Time for the Brtish lion to come roaring back.

I'm not crazy about Pizza but I am looking forward to my first post Brexit celebration meal.

A lovely USDA steak

Some great vegetables from Africa

Bread made from Canadian flour

New Zealand butter

Washed down with a full bodied Australian Shiraz

and the Bill will be 20-25% lower.

Wading through the waves of despair generated by Remoaners, one begins to wonder whether some kind of genetic mutation has occured to rob large numbers of Brits one of our most universally-admired national characteristics.

It’s called guts.

When I was a lad, this traditional virtue enabled us to stand alone against Hitler, weather the subsequent Bitz, survive more than a decade of real austerity (not today’s welfare-cushioned kind) and build a new Jerusalem from the ruins of the country we loved.

The same bulldog spirit was demonstrated more recently when millions of members of the older generations led the charge to escape the clutches of the EU. Hopefully some of the same precious stuff will eventually rub off on those Remainers who continue to snipe from the sidelines,

In the meantime, I commend to their attention this snippet from the Immortal Bard’s great play Macbeth, in which the gutsy Lady Macbeth upbraids her spineless spouse.

Macbeth: “If we should fail. . . “

Lady Macbeth: We fail? But screw your courge to the sticking place, and we’ll not fail”.

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

All conjecture.

More realistic view 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/07/no-deal-brexit-medieval-siege-eu-britain-industries

Archived