Phuket tourism dodges ‘Chinese hit’, Vice Governor told

webfact

43 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I must say, many buses on the roads at the moment. But quite a few seem to be Russian (again).

Havent seen them yet: in the past i saw the big Pegas buses everywhere filled with russians, now i see at best one or 2 vans of them driving around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

Havent seen them yet: in the past i saw the big Pegas buses everywhere filled with russians, now i see at best one or 2 vans of them driving around.

Sorry, you didn't look very well.

13 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I have studied the huge amount of quotes, links, and research you just supplied and must say you make an excellent case. Clearly i was in the wrong and didnt look well. 

Ah, you want me to post a photo of a Russian bus? I have been on the road a lot these last days, many Russians this morning at the hotel I was, many, many, many at the airport a few days ago and many at e.g. Kata beach as well. Early morning, 08.30, and they're out in full force enjoying the sun.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The news was delivered at a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall which was intended to cover the economic developments made to prepare the island to become the ‘Phuket Mice Destination’.

Have they called in Slartibartfast to deliver the keynote speech?

(Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, for those who remember it!)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Anex tour buses seem to be the predominant ones right now, especially around Kata, where they have specific parking points. But just this morning I saw more Chinese buses than I've seen fo a while.

• Thanks 1

I've always measured the high season here in Phuket by the amount of big, fancy tour buses on the road, and the amount is down drastically. The boat owner who through extreme greed when over loading the boat and all those people died, also killed a lot of tourism.

The Western tourists started to decline in number, and the genius minds at the TAT decided it was time to "lure" the Chinese. They came. They came in droves. But, they did not spend much money. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, jewelers, galleries, spas, massage shops, bars, and countless other businesses suffered, and will continue to suffer from this extreme myopia, on the part of the officials in charge of tourism. Oh well. Can't say they were not warned. Zero baht tourists are perhaps the majority who visit Thailand now. Sure, they spend some money in restaurants, and in 7/11. But, that is about it, for some of the super low budget Chinese tours. Not many rich Chinese are not visiting Thailand, for a dozen good reasons. They have too many other options.

I was recently with a group of friends, and we wanted to order a bottle of wine, at of one of those high end restaurants in the EmQuartier complex. It was Bella Rocca Restaurant. I asked about a 2011 Chianti they had on the list. I was told they were out of stock. I asked about a Barbaresco, at 2,600 baht. Again, out of stock. How about this Nebbiolo? Do you have the 2010, as stated on the list? No, we only have the 2015. OK, what is that wine like? Is it drinking well now? I do not know. Is there anyone here that is familiar with this wine list? No. Sorry sir. Wait a minute. You have 100 bottles on this list, ranging from 1200 baht to 10,000 baht per bottle, and NOBODY who works here knows anything about the wine? Are you serious? We all just looked at each other, and got up and walked out. We realized the restaurant was a pretender. And more than likely the food was marginal at best. It was all dressed up to look like a very nice Italian restaurant. But, it appeared to be only window dressing. High end tourists have little patience for that lack of quality and lack of service. 

But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

The entire country is suffering from a declining tourism industry. And that will not change. It is a permanent declining trend. For a hundred valid reasons.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1