SURVEY: Facebook, worth it or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Facebook, worth it or not?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Too many companies, and I mean SMALL local ones, have Facebook as their only means of advertisement and notification. I still get my news, not world or national but local news as in city/region of origin, places around the world, and where I am living today, from Facebook.

Its is hard to cut the cord entirely for those reasons. The fake news problems usually generates form Bigger news organizations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Con Queso said:

The sheer amount of scam posts that proliferate on FB is scary.  Things like kickstarter pages that try to sucker you in to funding free energy devices, detox scams, crystal healing woo and the list goes on and on.  While I recognize these are scams, I fear for those who are so gullible that they might be mislead by such garbage.

The gullible have always had a rough go at it. FB is not the cause of that, it may simply provide another vehicle to reach them. I think fb and other social media provide a needed service--it is good to be able to keep in touch with loved ones, relatives and friends.  However, you should avoid being gullible and providing personal information. And, that is difficult to do.

• Like 1

A number of Thai companies I buy from only have a FB page or their webpage is so bad that FB is the only practical means of dealing with them - under a pseudonym, of course, and with no details whatsoever . Only use very rarely, though, and no contacts other than businesses I buy from.

Edited by MartinL

I chose B because it is basically correct - friends and colleagues have been keeping up with each other for years using it, and for that it is useful But the 'echo chamber' / 'preaching to the choir' nature of many groups and news outlets, including mainstream, is IMHO absolutely insidious. And it is getting worse. Folk can (and do) isolate themselves from any dissent, proving yourself  to be absolutely right about anything you choose; no conflict (diversity, opinion) allowed. Then some helpful soul at FB directs new feeds to you which are borderline insidious, with the only objective to get you emotionally engaged in some aspect of your (largely self-chosen) narrative. If not for the friends and colleagues aspects, I wouldn't look at it - and as it is, I don't allow it or messenger on the phone - only by browser from the desktop.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You use Thai Visa , which is similar to Facebook

Not sure that is true, maybe partly. While all social-media platforms share the vulnerability that FB has, not all chose to abuse that power. That said, politically (even financially) motivated moderation can push sites down that route in no time at all - sanctioned speech only - which is precisely why I read stuff on here, and no  longer use the HH local forums.

3 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

I chose B because it is basically correct - friends and colleagues have been keeping up with each other for years using it, and for that it is useful But the 'echo chamber' / 'preaching to the choir' nature of many groups and news outlets, including mainstream, is IMHO absolutely insidious. And it is getting worse. Folk can (and do) isolate themselves from any dissent, proving yourself  to be absolutely right about anything you choose; no conflict (diversity, opinion) allowed. Then some helpful soul at FB directs new feeds to you which are borderline insidious, with the only objective to get you emotionally engaged in some aspect of your (largely self-chosen) narrative. If not for the friends and colleagues aspects, I wouldn't look at it - and as it is, I don't allow it or messenger on the phone - only by browser from the desktop.

Just delete any posts and block them from sending you any more posts

3 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

Not sure that is true, maybe partly. While all social-media platforms share the vulnerability that FB has, not all chose to abuse that power. That said, politically (even financially) motivated moderation can push sites down that route in no time at all - sanctioned speech only - which is precisely why I read stuff on here, and no  longer use the HH local forums.

Facebook isnt moderated in the sense of veiwpoints are moderated , the only things that get deleted are offensive things 

FB, MS (fill in the blank), Google, every news site, every vendor site, etc....  They are mining for as much information as possible to "enhance your experience" (bullsh...) and/or sell your details.  There is (almost) no getting around it...

I only use fb with a dummy account to spy on other people.

I find it especially amusing how many bargirls have a fb account with their real Thai name.

And often they show pictures with their beloved boyfriend.

And often they are friends with all the other girls in the same bar.

One hour on fb gives a wonderful overview about their life - a lot more reliable than the stories they tell.

Apart from that I obviously don't use fb. Why should I offer lots of personal information about myself to any idiot who wants to spy on me?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

FB, MS (fill in the blank), Google, every news site, every vendor site, etc....  They are mining for as much information as possible to "enhance your experience" (bullsh...) and/or sell your details.  There is (almost) no getting around it...

...and this is the soft targeting of your personal information.

This is another issue altogether:  The use of your passport and any credit card...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/marriott-data-breach-risks-1.4929130

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-418-when-gm-leaves-town-loud-restaurants-the-hit-series-dogs-mummers-china-surveillance-and-more-1.4927175/it-s-like-christmas-for-repressive-regimes-china-is-selling-surveillance-technology-all-over-the-world-1.4927185

Edited by CanuckThai

2 hours ago, madmen said:

It's the stupid lying that turned me off Facebook. Every body has an amazing spouse, amazing children, amazing careers look amazing through photo softening apps... 90% BS!

You mean my Brother in law really doesn't have his own Airplane, Mountain Chalet in Washington State and is an Internet investment sensation???   Dammit!!! 

I am a prolific user of the Hide all adds, & Snooze da da da for 30 days feature, for family members that want everyone and their brother to see their cute cat or dog, I don't give a rats ass about their cat or dog when the 30 days comes up, snooze it again if they post one more pic of their dog eating a roll of toilet paper  -  Oh ain't that cute??!!!   Aaaargh.

You mean my Brother in law really doesn't have his own Airplane, Mountain Chalet in Washington State and is an Internet investment sensation???   Dammit!!! 
Haha it's not the big stuff but the small stuff. Eg was a friend's having dinner and it was difficult to watch him and his wife escalate their fighting followed by abuse from their own 2 teenagers

2 days later on FB their were posts about their amazing family lol

It's like it's some type of contest to see who can bend the truth the most

I have a FB page, I use a fictitious name  that only friends can associate to me, and email address only registered and used for FB , wrong  birthday etc  so that only people I want to find me , find me.  I Know , sophisticated  tech save users could still find me , but it eliminates the casual user.  I only have 5 or six people I have accepted a friends and checking up with them only takes about 5 min as none of as are prolific users.

I like their video chat, that I use with my wife often (always had problems with line, and for some reason seems to eat up the battery on my smartphone) .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tilaceer said:

Thanks to Facebook Purity, I stay with it, else it would be bye bye

"The creator of F.B. Purity (which stands for Facebook Purity or Fluff Busting Purity, depending on whose side you’re on) claims Facebook’s legal team has ousted him – or her – for violating the terms of conditions."

I still manage with just an email account.    I find Facebook to be the Great Satan.

Edited by watcharacters

Just another highly repressive and controlling outlet guised in "social media" and "community" phoniness, which might, realistically, describe most related venues of it's ilk. 

The dumbing down continues.

I gave it the first choice.   I think it is a good source of news, but I don't know that it is a reliable source of news.  Primarily, I use it to keep track of friends and family who are now spread across the globe from Europe, the ME, Asia, SE Asia, Australia, Japan, the US and Canada.   

I am friends with numerous former colleagues and employees, who do need to reach me on a fairly regular basis, for such things as letters of recommendation etc.   

I use the 'hide' function and the 'snooze' for a few when they go completely off the deep end with their new found "Jesus" or there latest political cause.   

Edited by Credo