University staff members declare support for anti-graft agency

webfact

University staff members declare support for anti-graft agency

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6GvqaVrnOGEQFL7WKadXK0y8

As university council members are threatening an en masse resignation to protest against the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s requirement for  them to declare their assets and those of their spouses and children, university staff members and general affairs officials are lining up in its support.

The coordinating centre of state university staff members and representatives of the teaching staff members and officials of 38 Rajabhat universities issued a joint statement after a meeting on Saturday protesting against any attempt by the government to rescind the  announcement on assets declaration by council and board members of universities, institutes and state funds.

Coordinator of the group, Dr Suthee Wattanamongkolsuk, said they heard that Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, the government’s chief legal advisor, would recommend Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha in his capacity as the head of the National Council for Peace and Order to invoke Section 44 of the interim Constitution to rescind the controversial announcement following protest from university council members and threats of mass resignations.

Dr Suthee said the group representing the university staff members is supportive of the anti-graft body for doing the right thing to ensure good governance and transparency in university councils.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/university-staff-members-declare-support-for-anti-graft-agency/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-12-03
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Suthee said the group representing the university staff members is supportive of the anti-graft body for doing the right thing to ensure good governance and transparency in university councils.

'right thing' , 'good governance' ? doubt many really know what they are; 'transparency' ?doubt many even want that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

university staff members and general affairs officials are lining up in its support.

hahaha maybe they are tired of watching their "SUPERIORS" keeping all the ill gotten goods...

Hope that any share of the pie will now be off limits.

Start with education and hopefully it will trickle down the rest of the hill...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

protest against the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s requirement for  them to declare their assets and those of their spouses and children

Years back this similar problem was had with Thaksin. He eventually signed everything over to his maid and then preceded to get elected. 

I don't think it makes much difference one way or the other...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

this shows just how much graft/corruption infiltrates all aspects of thai life, all those that are now refusing to be a part of the boards due to the anti corruption committees requirements need to be put under a thorough investigation as to why they want to hide from it. Anti corruption practices are sorely needed in Thailand and should be compulsory for all government/associated workers, this would have to have a huge effect on the graft that is rampant here. Really good to see the university staff calling for this to go ahead, maybe we are seeing a shift in the thai way of thinking.

I have some sympathy for the University Council people here; I think I too would resign rather than comply with these regulations.

First, the Thai economy has a huge element of a "Black" economy; I do not know an exact figure, but I have seen estimates up to 40% or so. Tell me, would you be comfortable making a legal declaration of assets in an economy that is 40% "Black"? Inevitably there would be part of your accumulated wealth that is "illegal"; it is pretty much impossible NOT to have some 'illegal' wealth, even if it were 'legitimate'. In Thailand, wealth can be accumulated 'illegally' yet still be above board (yes, and some of it is stolen as well- I am not naive).

Second, who do you trust to hold that information and investigate its accuracy? The NACC? Is there anyone (ANYONE!!!) out there who thinks the NACC is a legitimate, politically-neutral, fair, independent organization? Seriously, anyone? Anyone? Speak up! Further, does anyone believe (ANYONE!) that the current regime would NOT try to use that information against a person? To try to compromise a person? If a Council member provided true information, then they would likely be admitting to a crime (via the 'legitimate' Black economy) or commiting a crime by NOT admitting that they have assets which derive from the 'Black' economy; either way they would be handing a proverbial 'loaded gun' to the Junta to use against them. And, the Junta would use it; anyone remember the "Three friends" who "persuaded" all those people to join Prayut's political party?

Third, why make it public? This is a point where honest and good people can disagree, but I do not think the public's right to know extends this far. A Politician? Yes. An executive of a law-enforcement organization (like the NACC? Yes. A University Council? I don't see the need. Let's just agree to disagree.

Fourth, anti-corruption starts at the top. Does anyone believe that Prayut has declared his full, complete wealth and its origins? I remember that he essentially said, a few years ago, stop asking or you will have trouble. Does anyone believe that General Rolex has been honest with his wealth? ANYONE? Does anyone believe that other members of the Junta have been honest in declaring their total wealth and its origins? ANYONE? If the leaders of Thailand have not properly accounted for their wealth, then I don't see why University Council members should. Start at the top and work your way down.

Let me add another comment. Above, many members state that all the University council members who resign should be investigated. Let me ask, investigated by who? The NACC? Do you have faith in the NACC? The same NACC that is still "investigating" General Rolex? The NACC would simply attack any political enemies of the Junta while letting off any supporters; we all know that.

I despise the corruption of Thailand. I loathe the corruption of Thailand. I abhor the corruption of Thailand. I would be very happy to see any public figure who is convicted of corruption to be beheaded in a public square. However, it has to be done fairly, and it has to start at the top.

If Prayut, Prawit and the other Junta people want to see University Council people declare their assets and have them investigated, then they should lead by example. Until they do, this looks simply like a means for the Junta to accumulate compromising information of a swath of Thai society that might oppose them in the future.

As soon as Prayut , Prawit and the other NCPO/Junta members release audited and certified financial data, I'll back having the University Council people do that same. Until then... they have my sympathy and I would resign as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1