UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

If you have a UK address you can be on the electoral role, as I am,......

Just one little thing, though: if you're on the electoral roll with a UK address, aren't you also liable to be called up for jury service? Might prove a tad awkward having to fly back to Blighty at short notice!

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, evadgib said:

For the purpose of this thread the Electoral Register is no more use than the population census(!)

HTH

You need to be on the Electoral Roll if you want to buy Premium Bonds. I was refused for that reason.

Den

9 minutes ago, denby45 said:

You need to be on the Electoral Roll if you want to buy Premium Bonds. I was refused for that reason.

Den

Appreciated. The thread seems to have wandered a bit which is all the more reason why it should have been closed or merged with the pinned topic at the top of the page.

23 hours ago, evadgib said:

For the purpose of this thread the Electoral Register is no more use than the population census(!)

HTH

It’s the go to place for many organizations,including banks ,government departments and credit reference agencies to verify you live there. You underestimate its value.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It’s the go to place for many organizations,including banks ,government departments and credit reference agencies to verify you live there. You underestimate its value.

Understood, but with two threads covering the same subject (#207) and with one of them wandering into 'passports' etc it's inevitable that wires occasionally get crossed ????

On 4/18/2019 at 8:12 AM, sniggie said:
On 4/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Does anyone imagine the DWP are going to fly to Thailand and come looking for you?

Well, if I was working for them I'd put that forward as an initiative.  With me leading the team, of course!

Don't worry, if one of them DWP guys comes over well take him down the 'soapy' and have some Thai girl polish his knob. Then send him back on the plane clutching a brown envelope..... Isn't Thai 'culture' wonderful.

11 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Can't be checked by non government organisations if you ticked the privacy box when you registered (which I always did).

On 4/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, BobbyL said:

Here is a question that I have tried to Google but there is no definitive answer. If I do not return to the UK to work again, yet continue to pay the voluntary NI contributions for the remainder of my working life (I am 30), then potentially that could all be for nothing as they will freeze my pension to what little amount it was in 2017 when I left? 

No, it's frozen at the amount payable at your retirement age.

But only if they know you live in Thailand, DWP stats claim they don't have an address for 40% of pensioners, no need for you to tell them.

On 4/17/2019 at 11:59 AM, vinny41 said:

You're automatically non-resident if either: you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you haven't been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)

How could they possibly prove either of those?

And if they could, it would be worth going back for two months before your pension was payable, just to screw them up.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:06 AM, transam said:

I did wonder why they want a copy of EVERY page in your PP, which will show all Thai visa long term extensions and travel. This could be the 100% proof one is claiming their pension in a country a state pension is locked but getting benefits as they "live" in the UK...

I've never been asked for copies of my passport.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

How often we see we are playing a game where the Gov't can move the goal posts any time they like. In addition to the above, I received a letter from DWP saying my pension has been postponed and I would not now receive it until I am 66. Anyone else got this?

I am due my pension on May 2nd. I was 65 in January. The delay is due to the government raising the pensionable age from 65 to 67 in a graduated increase.

I applied for my pension online a month ago. Sneaky buggers tried to catch me out. Got an email from them to say that I needed to contact them urgently on an 0800 number, only dialable in the UK. Jumped on a plane and was in the UK within 5 days. Insisted that I answered a series of security questions. After the security questions the guy said, "OK, thanks, that's all we need". Asked him why they had wanted me to call them but would only respond, "That's OK thanks, that's all we need." Strange call. Got a letter a few days later confirming my pension entitlement and amounts and start date.

Hopefully that's the end of the matter and payment will follow at the end of May.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:04 AM, Pilotman said:

You are likely to be treated as UK tax resident under the SRT if you:

• spend 183 days or more in the UK during a tax year; or
  • have a home in the UK, and do not have a home overseas; or
  • work full-time in the UK over a period of 365 days (this does not need to coincide with the tax year).

Correct

On 4/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, OJAS said:

Just one little thing, though: if you're on the electoral roll with a UK address, aren't you also liable to be called up for jury service? Might prove a tad awkward having to fly back to Blighty at short notice!

Holidays are allowed ⁵

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I am due my pension on May 2nd. I was 65 in January. The delay is due to the government raising the pensionable age from 65 to 67 in a graduated increase.

I applied for my pension online a month ago. Sneaky buggers tried to catch me out. Got an email from them to say that I needed to contact them urgently on an 0800 number, only dialable in the UK. Jumped on a plane and was in the UK within 5 days. Insisted that I answered a series of security questions. After the security questions the guy said, "OK, thanks, that's all we need". Asked him why they had wanted me to call them but would only respond, "That's OK thanks, that's all we need." Strange call. Got a letter a few days later confirming my pension entitlement and amounts and start date.

Hopefully that's the end of the matter and payment will follow at the end of May.

My experience was the opposite. They did everything for me. Chased me up. If they had wanted me to call them from abroad I would have. 'I'm on holiday. How can I help you?

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

My experience was the opposite. They did everything for me. Chased me up. If they had wanted me to call them from abroad I would have. 'I'm on holiday. How can I help you?

Was given no other option than call an 0800 number. Can't be done from abroad.

Just now, JASON THAI said:

You will do when you have to apply for a new passport they want a copy of every page when you go to BKK 

Renewed my passport last year. Did it in person at the passport office in Liverpool. AFAIAA didn't take copies of the pages.

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But only if they know you live in Thailand, DWP stats claim they don't have an address for 40% of pensioners, no need for you to tell them.

Thanks for that this post was all about that as you can see with my OP as this is important to lots of younger people living/working here later in life no about trying to scam the DWP department, like to see what happens to these people when they stop there pensions & take back the over payment not going to be easy to live months on end without any pension money coming in until the over payment is paid back & then you will get you pension frozen at the rate they decide to give you, I would not like to go through this is my old age with family to support. 

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Renewed my passport last year. Did it in person at the passport office in Liverpool. AFAIAA didn't take copies of the pages.

That's because you did it in the UK so they know you are there but if you do it via BKK they want copies of every page which gets sent to the UK, what happens when you get very old & not able to fly to the UK & you need a new passport ? if they see you have been living in Thailand & getting the millions they pay 555 LOL they will take it back by stopping your pension until the over payment is paid back in full not going to be fun with no monthly pension coming in to live on when you are old. 

37 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

That's because you did it in the UK so they know you are there but if you do it via BKK they want copies of every page which gets sent to the UK, what happens when you get very old & not able to fly to the UK & you need a new passport ? if they see you have been living in Thailand & getting the millions they pay 555 LOL they will take it back by stopping your pension until the over payment is paid back in full not going to be fun with no monthly pension coming in to live on when you are old. 

Travel back to the UK for 2 weeks every year. If I get too old to travel, look for my name in the Pattaya flying club. I have no intention of growing old gracefully. I have zero interactions with UK authorities whilst in Thailand. UK address, bank accounts, GP, etc.

I have managed fine living on my company pension, in Thailand, for a number of years. If I get caught out, I'll manage just fine, just have to cut down on the extra s/ts that my state pension will be funding.

9 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

Thanks for that this post was all about that as you can see with my OP as this is important to lots of younger people living/working here later in life no about trying to scam the DWP department, like to see what happens to these people when they stop there pensions & take back the over payment not going to be easy to live months on end without any pension money coming in until the over payment is paid back & then you will get you pension frozen at the rate they decide to give you, I would not like to go through this is my old age with family to support. 

Around 50% of my pals have died before government pension age (looks like I may be joining them).

Another 25% have been forced back to the UK through ill health.

I don't know any expats that made it past 70 in Thailand, how much over-payment could they recover?

Don't overthink things, you might be one of us lucky guys.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Around 50% of my pals have died before government pension age (looks like I may be joining them).

Another 25% have been forced back to the UK through ill health.

I don't know any expats that made it past 70 in Thailand, how much over-payment could they recover?

Don't overthink things, you might be one of us lucky guys.

Jesus Britman, change your circle of friends!

I am early 60's but 4 of my closest friends around here are 76, 75, 73 and 72.

12 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

if they see you have been living in Thailand & getting the millions they pay 555 LOL they will take it back by stopping your pension until the over payment is paid back in full not going to be fun with no monthly pension coming in to live on when you are old. 

Do you have evidence of that happening?

I have never seen it happen; one friend got caught out when a life certificate was missed and he called them and came clean about living in Thailand. They simply froze his pension from the date of that advice - no doubt content that they had stopped another one.

13 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

You will do when you have to apply for a new passport they want a copy of every page when you go to BKK 

I always fly back to the Uk for my new passport, it's only once every ten years.

Why not stay there 16/46 days while you're at it to establish Brit residency?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Spidey said:

Was given no other option than call an 0800 number. Can't be done from abroad.

I have called Nationwide UK on their 0800 number (0800 055 6611) from Thailand using my Thai mobile (True). Worked just fine. Actual number dialled was 00644 800 055 6611.

Also dialed another Nationwide 0800 plus a First Direct 0800 number from Thailand via same Thai mobile, again no problem.

Archived